How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 32 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #311 (permalink)  
Old 21-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm a Singaporean UK medical student who just graduated in July. I am really thinking hard about the future in terms of what specialty I should venture into. I understand it might be a little premature and it's better for me to get some experience in each speciality before I decide. However I will be completing my FY1 in the UK before returning under the PEG scheme and there're a few questions I hope someone can answer for me. !
As a non-doctor Singaporean, I urge you come back instead of third-world doctors with dubious qualifications. The government's cheaper-faster policy has resulted in dropping healthcare standards and almost yearly scandals reported in Straits Times. Who knows how many other failed healthcare policies goes unreported? Up to now we don't know who those in charge of the SGH Hepatitis C outbreak are held accountable.

Reply With Quote
  #312 (permalink)  
Old 21-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm a Singaporean UK medical student who just graduated in July. I am really thinking hard about the future in terms of what specialty I should venture into. I understand it might be a little premature and it's better for me to get some experience in each speciality before I decide. However I will be completing my FY1 in the UK before returning under the PEG scheme and there're a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.

1. How does the pay of GP here in singapore compare to their counterparts working in a government hospital ?

2. When is the earliest post graduation that you can be employed as a GP ? And can you go private straight up.

3. Is radiology not a good specialty because most of the job will be replaced by AI in the near future ?

4. Is there a speciality that offers good work life balance, pay and is not so competitive to get into ?

Thank you very much !
1. Gp is higher than rp and mo pay for sure. But Less than an enterprising pte specialist cfm. How much you earn depends on whether u are the boss, and the location. And depends on how hard and much you work.

2. You need a full registration. To hasten things, you should not have done fy1 in UK. Hoship in Singapore and moship is a faster way to get full reg. Now u prob will spend 4 more years to get full reg.

3. This is controversial. We speak of a world of ai. If ai can replace radiologist in image processing and assume liability, AI can replace other drs as well. Always rmb you need someone to sue. AI can't be sued. Anyway if AI really works and if radio can be replaced, everyone will be replaced as well. And also don't worry about outsourcing. There will be no outsourcing of radio images to Africa or India. Data security.

4. If have please tell me. Good and easy things are popular.
Supply increase price drop.

Bottomline. Nothing such as good life balance and good pay and no competiton.

Good pay, good hours, and no competition. You can only choose two out of three.

Reply With Quote
  #313 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2018, 10:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Thank you so much for the above replies. Really answered most of my queries.

Well I quite believe that AI will eventually catch up to humans and be able to perform jobs better than humans. As humans all or us makes mistakes time and again but AI seldom makes mistakes. Even if they really were to make a mistake it can be looked into and rectified. AI may be in its infancy but I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before it catches up to human doctors, as can be said for many other jobs.

What specialty offers good pay and relatively less competition, and what speciliaty offers good work life lance and relatively less competition? I'm not someone who likes to compete and although I like medicine a lot I will rather be involved in teaching than in research and publications.

Thanks again for the replies !

Reply With Quote
  #314 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you so much for the above replies. Really answered most of my queries.

Well I quite believe that AI will eventually catch up to humans and be able to perform jobs better than humans. As humans all or us makes mistakes time and again but AI seldom makes mistakes. Even if they really were to make a mistake it can be looked into and rectified. AI may be in its infancy but I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before it catches up to human doctors, as can be said for many other jobs.

What specialty offers good pay and relatively less competition, and what speciliaty offers good work life lance and relatively less competition? I'm not someone who likes to compete and although I like medicine a lot I will rather be involved in teaching than in research and publications.

Thanks again for the replies !
Are you good with computers? I think doctor with cybersecurity and medical informatics bg is likely to be the big hit next decade.

Nowadays is all about data defense, mass data utilization to optimize health, processes
Reply With Quote
  #315 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2018, 12:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you so much for the above replies. Really answered most of my queries.

Well I quite believe that AI will eventually catch up to humans and be able to perform jobs better than humans. As humans all or us makes mistakes time and again but AI seldom makes mistakes. Even if they really were to make a mistake it can be looked into and rectified. AI may be in its infancy but I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before it catches up to human doctors, as can be said for many other jobs.

What specialty offers good pay and relatively less competition, and what speciliaty offers good work life lance and relatively less competition? I'm not someone who likes to compete and although I like medicine a lot I will rather be involved in teaching than in research and publications.

Thanks again for the replies !
Your attitude not good eh. Don't want to hard work still want high pay and good work life balance. No wonder cannot get into nus.

Seriously even UK might not want you.
Reply With Quote
  #316 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are you good with computers? I think doctor with cybersecurity and medical informatics bg is likely to be the big hit next decade.

Nowadays is all about data defense, mass data utilization to optimize health, processes
I'm thinking of doing something outside of medicine and computer science intrigues me quite abit. Wondering if I should take up a side degree.
Reply With Quote

  #317 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your attitude not good eh. Don't want to hard work still want high pay and good work life balance. No wonder cannot get into nus.

Seriously even UK might not want you.
To compete for a speciality you need to invest time and effort into research, publications, trying your best to look good in front of your bosses. I don't think you are being fair with that comment as many doctors like myself have other committments outside of their work (although it is generally frown upon).

And FYI I did get accepted in YLL but turned it down as I was lucky to be accepted in quite a prestigious medical school in UK. So keep the insults to yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #318 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Do doctors who have completed their HO training in singapore for the first year do better as an MO compared to doctors who complete their FY1 in the UK and then return to Singapore? Do they get better teachings in singapore to prepare them to be efficient and good MOs compared to those who did FY1 in UK?
Reply With Quote
  #319 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do doctors who have completed their HO training in singapore for the first year do better as an MO compared to doctors who complete their FY1 in the UK and then return to Singapore? Do they get better teachings in singapore to prepare them to be efficient and good MOs compared to those who did FY1 in UK?
Seriously UK doesn't even want you beyond FY so stop pretending you have a choice at all.
Reply With Quote
  #320 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seriously UK doesn't even want you beyond FY so stop pretending you have a choice at all.
Unfortunately, this has degenerated to the same level as the lawyer forum on this site, where they sham full fee paying UK singaporean grads as inferior.

Yup, we have no choice but to come back. The current UK electorate isn't too foreigner friendly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
418 Replies, 71,448 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,580 Replies, 1,225,504 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,148 Replies, 5,287,252 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,001 Replies, 2,189,516 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,427 Replies, 1,483,621 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
123 Replies, 95,392 Views
Summer Internships 2020 ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 1,119 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 121,275 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 5,791 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,699 Replies, 1,014,245 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,978 Replies, 1,801,276 Views
Chevron COBRA assesment, please... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 48,882 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,283 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,868 Replies, 3,647,518 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector) ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 1,896 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 75,628 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
854 Replies, 429,706 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 4,188 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 197,288 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
878 Replies, 717,094 Views
What are your Job benefits ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 6,947 Views
What course should I undertake?
8 Replies, 3,119 Views
Big 4 firm rescind offers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 13,041 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 15,902 Views
What is the usual salary for...
4 Replies, 1,954 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 6,251 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 12,279 Views
Career at Keppel
3 Replies, 365 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 325,993 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2