How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 303 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3021 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone, I understand that many in this forum have a lot of life experience. I have some doubts. Should i choose computer science or medicine as a career? Iím fresh out of JC, 90RP but currently serving national service. Not sure what to apply.
Try to get a psc scholarship, safos/spfos, oms. If you want a stable career.

If you have interest in tech, want to build your own start up and get your unicorn , then cs is the way to go.

If you like medicine, find yourself good at academics but doesnt like thinking out of the box and pretty average at social skills, then medicine is good too. As the worse performing doctor earns more than an average swe.

Reply With Quote
  #3022 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 08:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So I guess of one choose to leave for private, (at whatever stage) it's essentially a one way ticket?
I mean 80% of primary care is in private practice. I am not sure if one will become too myopic if they just stay in ops for life?
Myopia happens to everybody.
As a baby ops MO on my first day of work, My polyclinic head ask me if im full reg.
Then i told him im a full reg, so he asked me to locum to see the outside gp world for exposure.


But myopia can also happen to pte gp .
Impt to stay up to date and attend college activities

Reply With Quote
  #3023 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 08:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
got a gdfm many years ago. And prolly your senior kae.
My english no good coz i went to a lousy sch.
My era a lot of ppl go to that lousy sch.

Gp 就是gp. Why want to make it to specialist.
Even though im fp, we still call ourselves gp.
Coz gp got pride.

But the $150 bucks per fp specialist consult?
Back pain? U can do op? U can tens? U can physio?
-tbh i just nsaids and mc nia.
Hypertension u know how to investigate for secondary causes? You know how to interpret aldo renin?
-i just try 1-2 anti htn. If need 3 or more or hypoK i send out alr to investigate
Dm u know how to manage type 1? Insulin pump? U know how to counsel for glp1?
-brittle type 2 and type 1 i will refer out

So i dont understand why we need so many qualifications and fm specialist coz gp is supposed to be for the masses.

For the people and keep care accessible

Ideas concern and expectation can only work so far.
1mile wide, 1inch deep. Cannot be helped

I always refer out when it is neccessary.
But just fearing the $150 consult for gp will worsen the situation and access to care
me notch the one comment on your engrish. I'm prolly went to same lousy school as you.
pls la, pple talking about giving fcfp specialist status and u think ur gdfm qualify u for specialist registration? eyes roll. hello. wake up.

sorry hor. imho gdfm shouldn't even be given fp status. . let's not kid ourselves.
across most countries , fam med or general practice as it's called in commonwealth countries it's at least a 3 year supervised program. fcfp is another 2 years to m.med. ur gdfm part time 2 year with tutorial once a quarter can only teach u so much. u think GD derm makes u a dermatologist ah. best to call a spade a spade. like you say, gp 就是 gp. trust me, I'm with u on this. no one is thinking of giving u specialist status and insisting u charge 150 bucks.

recognising fam med as a speciality is what the fraternity is after. no one is doing it to earn more because like you we also believe in accessible care for the masses.
gdfm m.med, fcfp fp will be what they are, family physician first .
as a speciality, the expert in their field should be accorded and recognised,
those who have fcfp should have added tittle of family medicine specialist.

get it or not?

Reply With Quote
  #3024 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 08:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
got a gdfm many years ago. And prolly your senior kae.
My english no good coz i went to a lousy sch.
My era a lot of ppl go to that lousy sch.

Gp 就是gp. Why want to make it to specialist.
Even though im fp, we still call ourselves gp.
Coz gp got pride.

But the $150 bucks per fp specialist consult?
Back pain? U can do op? U can tens? U can physio?
-tbh i just nsaids and mc nia.
Hypertension u know how to investigate for secondary causes? You know how to interpret aldo renin?
-i just try 1-2 anti htn. If need 3 or more or hypoK i send out alr to investigate
Dm u know how to manage type 1? Insulin pump? U know how to counsel for glp1?
-brittle type 2 and type 1 i will refer out

So i dont understand why we need so many qualifications and fm specialist coz gp is supposed to be for the masses.

For the people and keep care accessible

Ideas concern and expectation can only work so far.
1mile wide, 1inch deep. Cannot be helped

I always refer out when it is neccessary.
But just fearing the $150 consult for gp will worsen the situation and access to care
not sure why you keep harping about the $150 consult.
no one say that FP specialist is charging $150.
it's about recognition of the skills and subject matter expertise.
everything else remains the same.

yes at the basic GP / MBBS / GDFM level you can practise referrology.
treat simple conditions and refer away everything.

but you should try your hand at managing all the complex chronic patients getting discharged from hospitals nowadays (they are still mostly in the public sector because they ain't gonna afford taking 10 chronic meds from GPs). it's not so simple anymore. and the number of patients who are like that are only going to keep increasing.

no need to be so ganzhiong about FPs going for higher qualifications.
beauty of FM / GP is you can choose what level you want to stay at.
you want to prac at MBBS / GDFM level by all means go ahead.
the higher qualifications are for those who want more. they also need to train younger FPs.
cannot be GDFM holders training GDFM trainees right?
Reply With Quote
  #3025 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2021, 07:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
not sure why you keep harping about the $150 consult.
no one say that FP specialist is charging $150.
it's about recognition of the skills and subject matter expertise.
everything else remains the same.

yes at the basic GP / MBBS / GDFM level you can practise referrology.
treat simple conditions and refer away everything.

but you should try your hand at managing all the complex chronic patients getting discharged from hospitals nowadays (they are still mostly in the public sector because they ain't gonna afford taking 10 chronic meds from GPs). it's not so simple anymore. and the number of patients who are like that are only going to keep increasing.

no need to be so ganzhiong about FPs going for higher qualifications.
beauty of FM / GP is you can choose what level you want to stay at.
you want to prac at MBBS / GDFM level by all means go ahead.
the higher qualifications are for those who want more. they also need to train younger FPs.
cannot be GDFM holders training GDFM trainees right?
What's wrong with GDFM holders training GDFM trainees?

In hospital you have MBBS holder MOs training MBBS holder housemen.

Also MBBS holder housemen training MBBS trainee medical students.

Nothing wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #3026 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2021, 08:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What's wrong with GDFM holders training GDFM trainees?

In hospital you have MBBS holder MOs training MBBS holder housemen.

Also MBBS holder housemen training MBBS trainee medical students.

Nothing wrong.
AlamakÖ
You have MBBS MO training HO to MO, to be a functioning MO. Nothing more.
Thereís only so much a peer can teach you and things get watered down if you donít develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of concepts.

Might as well say get Sec 1 student to teach your P6 kid for PSLE.
Sure your P6 kid might still pass PSLE, but he certainly is not gonna score very well.
Reply With Quote

  #3027 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2021, 08:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What's wrong with GDFM holders training GDFM trainees?

In hospital you have MBBS holder MOs training MBBS holder housemen.

Also MBBS holder housemen training MBBS trainee medical students.

Nothing wrong.
nothing wrong is you say.
because you don't know what you don't know. definitely some gdfm holder super experienced and as good as any fcfp but no gaurantee, definitely also gt m.mmeder who scrape through and somewhat dodegy like myself but balance of probability is someone who passed went rhrought a formal apprenticeship system , pass proper exams by many other experienced doctor will be better.
based on what u say might as well medical student teach medical student la, since all got many As at A levels , correct Bo?
Reply With Quote
  #3028 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2021, 09:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

u don't sound local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nothing wrong is you say.
because you don't know what you don't know. definitely some gdfm holder super experienced and as good as any fcfp but no gaurantee, definitely also gt m.mmeder who scrape through and somewhat dodegy like myself but balance of probability is someone who passed went rhrought a formal apprenticeship system , pass proper exams by many other experienced doctor will be better.
based on what u say might as well medical student teach medical student la, since all got many As at A levels , correct Bo?
Reply With Quote
  #3029 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2021, 10:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Me to my friend (locum) government giving us 4k.
Friend (locum) to me thats what I make in 1 week
Me: 😭
Reply With Quote
  #3030 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2021, 12:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

why singapore dont have physician assistant?

Will be good to cut down health care
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,643 Replies, 5,378,035 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,738 Replies, 487,664 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
956 Replies, 318,637 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,379 Replies, 7,902,100 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,359 Replies, 2,822,294 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
344 Replies, 65,995 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
482 Replies, 146,398 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,507 Replies, 2,769,422 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,215 Replies, 1,981,232 Views
infosys, cognizant ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 3,300 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,200 Replies, 1,381,400 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
640 Replies, 502,785 Views
Suitable job recommendations
2 Replies, 155 Views
Cpf senior manager
9 Replies, 2,786 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,487 Replies, 695,667 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
483 Replies, 94,407 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
531 Replies, 192,517 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
127 Replies, 86,201 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,293 Replies, 360,660 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
215 Replies, 166,016 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,298 Replies, 1,697,967 Views
Heineken APAC Graduate Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
283 Replies, 147,071 Views
Htx ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
61 Replies, 8,524 Views
Fresh grad 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 22,539 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
53 Replies, 7,030 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
392 Replies, 134,088 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
879 Replies, 271,201 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,145 Replies, 639,304 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
784 Replies, 375,168 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2