How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 302 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3011 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 03:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did visit the skin center twice. Always prescribed me the same meds and perhaps different creams. Its also not easy to get appt at skin center again and again once the period lapses.

The condition is rather persistent so I decided to go private. But the med he prescribed is exactly the same as what the NSC did.. the only difference is that now we are undergoing lasers and whatnot.

So the question is still if these lasers work? Or is the effect due to the medication but attributed to the lasers?
You do know that itís very difficult to give you any useful opinion without even seeing your skin condition? Is it acne? Scars? Pigmentation? Nodules? Cysts?
Lasers do help with some conditions, not all.
And even then results are not guaranteed as well.

Really not the right place to seek for an opinion regarding dermatological conditions.
Sorry bro.

Reply With Quote
  #3012 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The only person who can tell you whether they will hire you 10 years from now is God almighty.
Primary care scene is evolving rapidly and MMed-ers are being churned out every year.

Who knows what will happen?
Likely over time MBBS holders will not be able to prac independently without minimum GDFM.
And maybe 20 years later GDFM will be phased out, need minimum MMed to prac independently outside.
Likely within next 1-2 years, fellows will be recognized as FM specialists as well.

OPS already gonna be fully staffed by MMed-ers gradually.
Need to wait for all the old time RPs / GDFM holders to retire over the next 10-20 years and they will all be replaced by the hordes of MMed-ers
i have a few qns:
what is the point of SAB if there is no consultant job for GP?

what is the point of FM if there is FM is paid same as specialist?
The whole point of FM is to reduce cost and reduce specialist referral.
now make FM specialist and pay at specialist rate of $150 per consult isnt that defeating the point?

Reply With Quote
  #3013 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 04:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i have a few qns:
what is the point of SAB if there is no consultant job for GP?

what is the point of FM if there is FM is paid same as specialist?
The whole point of FM is to reduce cost and reduce specialist referral.
now make FM specialist and pay at specialist rate of $150 per consult isnt that defeating the point?
1) "what is the point of SAB if there is no consultant job for GP?"
don't understand what you mean by no consultant job for GP?
are you even a doctor? if you are then you know there family physicians can get promoted to assoc con, con and senior con etc...
this has been in place for a long time, so i'm not sure what you're saying

2) "what is the point of FM if there is FM is paid same as specialist?
The whole point of FM is to reduce cost and reduce specialist referral."
i don't understand what you're saying here as well.
you do know that health care costs is not just the salary of doctors right?
think you need to study some basic healthcare econs (and some English classes as well)

Reply With Quote
  #3014 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 05:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1) "what is the point of SAB if there is no consultant job for GP?"
don't understand what you mean by no consultant job for GP?
are you even a doctor? if you are then you know there family physicians can get promoted to assoc con, con and senior con etc...
this has been in place for a long time, so i'm not sure what you're saying

2) "what is the point of FM if there is FM is paid same as specialist?
The whole point of FM is to reduce cost and reduce specialist referral."
i don't understand what you're saying here as well.
you do know that health care costs is not just the salary of doctors right?
think you need to study some basic healthcare econs (and some English classes as well)
Recently i got a referal from polyclinic. I was refer to a doctor who is specialist in internal medicine. Advance internal medicine to be specific. Whats is advance internal medicine and how do they differ from different specialist? But then credits to the advance internal medicine doctor, she was able to manage many conditions without refering to an organ specialist. But is advance internal medicine just another GP?
Reply With Quote
  #3015 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 06:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i have a few qns:
what is the point of SAB if there is no consultant job for GP?

what is the point of FM if there is FM is paid same as specialist?
The whole point of FM is to reduce cost and reduce specialist referral.
now make FM specialist and pay at specialist rate of $150 per consult isnt that defeating the point?
hello.
stop making a fool of yourself.
gp, fp also dunno difference want to come here argue.

instead of one doctor for back pain, one for hypertension, one for diabetes, now one FM doctor can manage all 3. 450 dollar Vs 150? infact, FM doctor if paid 200 bucks also saving Liao. poor patient instead of visiting doctor 3 times, one visit settle everything?

use some brains before u post la. really wasting o2 by existing.
Reply With Quote
  #3016 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 06:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just wondering does having a mmed (fm) means confirm will get job at ops. For example, if you pass your mmed and go private, but after 5-10 years bored of private want to come back, will they take you as long as you have mmed even though it was passed 10 years ago? (I mean people may want to locum ++ during their younger years but once reach 40+, just want 8-5 job)
nope.
where got confirm ? m.med dime a dozen lei.
I ops head also dun want to hire private gp.
you are slower and u probably practising vodoo medicine already.
your chronic disease skillset likely v rusty.
plus navigating public healthcare resources and utilizing allied health will be unfamiliar to you.
plus u likely want to come back to chill and retire
I rather hire a 30 year old young and aspirational guy hot and energetic off passing their m.med who will take my arrow for audit, research and whatever initiative to hit my KPI.

think about it la. this kind of question need to ask ?
Reply With Quote

  #3017 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 07:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hello.
stop making a fool of yourself.
gp, fp also dunno difference want to come here argue.

instead of one doctor for back pain, one for hypertension, one for diabetes, now one FM doctor can manage all 3. 450 dollar Vs 150? infact, FM doctor if paid 200 bucks also saving Liao. poor patient instead of visiting doctor 3 times, one visit settle everything?

use some brains before u post la. really wasting o2 by existing.
got a gdfm many years ago. And prolly your senior kae.
My english no good coz i went to a lousy sch.
My era a lot of ppl go to that lousy sch.

Gp 就是gp. Why want to make it to specialist.
Even though im fp, we still call ourselves gp.
Coz gp got pride.

But the $150 bucks per fp specialist consult?
Back pain? U can do op? U can tens? U can physio?
-tbh i just nsaids and mc nia.
Hypertension u know how to investigate for secondary causes? You know how to interpret aldo renin?
-i just try 1-2 anti htn. If need 3 or more or hypoK i send out alr to investigate
Dm u know how to manage type 1? Insulin pump? U know how to counsel for glp1?
-brittle type 2 and type 1 i will refer out

So i dont understand why we need so many qualifications and fm specialist coz gp is supposed to be for the masses.

For the people and keep care accessible

Ideas concern and expectation can only work so far.
1mile wide, 1inch deep. Cannot be helped

I always refer out when it is neccessary.
But just fearing the $150 consult for gp will worsen the situation and access to care
Reply With Quote
  #3018 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 07:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nope.
where got confirm ? m.med dime a dozen lei.
I ops head also dun want to hire private gp.
you are slower and u probably practising vodoo medicine already.
your chronic disease skillset likely v rusty.
plus navigating public healthcare resources and utilizing allied health will be unfamiliar to you.
plus u likely want to come back to chill and retire
I rather hire a 30 year old young and aspirational guy hot and energetic off passing their m.med who will take my arrow for audit, research and whatever initiative to hit my KPI.

think about it la. this kind of question need to ask ?
So I guess of one choose to leave for private, (at whatever stage) it's essentially a one way ticket?
I mean 80% of primary care is in private practice. I am not sure if one will become too myopic if they just stay in ops for life?
Reply With Quote
  #3019 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 07:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Life decisions

Hi everyone, I understand that many in this forum have a lot of life experience. I have some doubts. Should i choose computer science or medicine as a career? Iím fresh out of JC, 90RP but currently serving national service. Not sure what to apply.
Reply With Quote
  #3020 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone, I understand that many in this forum have a lot of life experience. I have some doubts. Should i choose computer science or medicine as a career? Iím fresh out of JC, 90RP but currently serving national service. Not sure what to apply.
Try to get a psc scholarship, safos/spfos, oms. If you want a stable career.

If you have interest in tech, want to build your own start up and get your unicorn , then cs is the way to go.

If you like medicine, find yourself good at academics but doesnt like thinking out of the box and pretty average at social skills, then medicine is good too. As the worse performing doctor earns more than an average swe.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 3 04-08-2022 11:49 PM
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,032 Replies, 2,798,021 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,563 Replies, 5,660,811 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,847 Replies, 7,982,369 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,519 Replies, 1,205,893 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,055 Replies, 539,405 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,251 Replies, 1,063,251 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,051 Replies, 4,472,329 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,828 Replies, 923,558 Views
MOH Holdings ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 13,906 Views
Digital Academy Program at ST...
2 Replies, 145 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,672 Replies, 1,417,501 Views
ST engineering starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
118 Replies, 83,701 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,142 Replies, 10,306,260 Views
Compare Your Annual Income ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 10,465 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 1,026,984 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 54,142 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,038 Replies, 3,608,281 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 24,687 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,184 Replies, 409,726 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
475 Replies, 232,062 Views
BCA (Building and Construction...
1 Replies, 174 Views
MOH (Ministry of Health) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 43,844 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
663 Replies, 272,833 Views
How much CPF do u have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
66 Replies, 37,773 Views
Singapore Power EDGE Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 7,425 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,127 Replies, 802,456 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
884 Replies, 272,157 Views
Singapore Examination and...
2 Replies, 4,212 Views
Singapore LNG Pay
7 Replies, 4,117 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2