How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 259 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2581 (permalink)  
Old 17-08-2021, 08:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just wondering if you have no interest at all in doing research, administrative or teaching (i.e you only want to see patient and go home after that), is locum (gp) the only viable career?

Reply With Quote
  #2582 (permalink)  
Old 17-08-2021, 10:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just wondering if you have no interest at all in doing research, administrative or teaching (i.e you only want to see patient and go home after that), is locum (gp) the only viable career?
No. You can just work in any setting while rejecting all the above.
Your bosses won’t love you and you won’t get fancy promotions but you get to live whatever life you like to live.

Reply With Quote
  #2583 (permalink)  
Old 19-08-2021, 11:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Question to mopex mos, how do you guys cope if you are posted to a posting that you hate or not your choice?
Is there still any point of trying your best given that you know you are not going to stay there beyond 6mths? (Or you should adopt the army Chao keng attitude?)

Reply With Quote
  #2584 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2021, 12:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There are quite a few random questions presumably from young / jaded doctors, and answers from jaded and seemingly disillusioned doctors.
Please take replies with a pinch of salt and speak to people with actual wisdom.

This question is akin to asking whether driving BMW or Mercedes is better?
If someone asks you such a question, your next followup question is…
Better in what way?
What is your end goal?

Abe to all who say FM residency is useless / subpar in Singapore.
You either have not gone through FM residency yourself, or you happy practicing as an incompetent GP. Residency and MMed prepares you to be a competent FP, managing multitude of issues and coordinating care for your patients, many of whom come to you as the first port of call, trusting you to navigate them accurately and efficiently through the complex healthcare system.
If you practice post man style GP specializing in referrology then you only need MBBS.
I think FM residency has good and bad points. It offers you exposure to a variety of specialities but the learning value of some postings are really questionable. I think it is good for fresh hos who are interested in FM but are unsure where they want to practice in the future. For the more experienced mos, (pgy 3-4) who already know what they want (e.g gpland or ops or Community hospital) it might be better to just continue mopexing in the relevant postings until your bond end

I have gone through FM residency myself and passed mmed last year. I have joined private practice (chain group) since the start of the year and the learning curve is really steep. I compare myself to my colleague who only has gdfm and I can safely say that he is better than me, in terms of both communication skills, procedure skills (I mean he can do H&L and I&D comfortably), as well as practical knowledge (e.g occupational medicine stuff). I would certainly say he is more competent than me even though he has no mmed. (Of course he is 3-4 years more senior than me and has worked in the chain group for past 3-4 years.)
Reply With Quote
  #2585 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2021, 01:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think FM residency has good and bad points. It offers you exposure to a variety of specialities but the learning value of some postings are really questionable. I think it is good for fresh hos who are interested in FM but are unsure where they want to practice in the future. For the more experienced mos, (pgy 3-4) who already know what they want (e.g gpland or ops or Community hospital) it might be better to just continue mopexing in the relevant postings until your bond end

I have gone through FM residency myself and passed mmed last year. I have joined private practice (chain group) since the start of the year and the learning curve is really steep. I compare myself to my colleague who only has gdfm and I can safely say that he is better than me, in terms of both communication skills, procedure skills (I mean he can do H&L and I&D comfortably), as well as practical knowledge (e.g occupational medicine stuff). I would certainly say he is more competent than me even though he has no mmed. (Of course he is 3-4 years more senior than me and has worked in the chain group for past 3-4 years.)
It is the same everywhere. The academics teach stuff that is not really applicable in the private sector. And with the communications stuff. Some of the things we do in the private sector cannot and probably will not be able to be taught in the training program.

If you want to do private GP work. Do the GDFM good enough. Then learn on the job. 80% of what is done in pte GP land cannot be taught by academia.
Reply With Quote
  #2586 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2021, 01:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think FM residency has good and bad points. It offers you exposure to a variety of specialities but the learning value of some postings are really questionable. I think it is good for fresh hos who are interested in FM but are unsure where they want to practice in the future. For the more experienced mos, (pgy 3-4) who already know what they want (e.g gpland or ops or Community hospital) it might be better to just continue mopexing in the relevant postings until your bond end

I have gone through FM residency myself and passed mmed last year. I have joined private practice (chain group) since the start of the year and the learning curve is really steep. I compare myself to my colleague who only has gdfm and I can safely say that he is better than me, in terms of both communication skills, procedure skills (I mean he can do H&L and I&D comfortably), as well as practical knowledge (e.g occupational medicine stuff). I would certainly say he is more competent than me even though he has no mmed. (Of course he is 3-4 years more senior than me and has worked in the chain group for past 3-4 years.)
I bet you a big part of what is not taught to you is how to manage the bill size and charging for patients and communicate cost of medicine and tests to patients. Also private insurance coverage. How best can patients access their plans? Maximize? This is huge in private sector. It also directly translates into your clinic takings.

In the public sector this side of medicine is always about what MOH determines is cost effective. The same approach will not work in the private sector. But no training program will ever teach these skills properly to you for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote

  #2587 (permalink)  
Old 20-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi, can I find out if it's possible to convert to an MO for reservist after finishing local medical school (I finished my NS before enrolling into YLL). I've deferred all my reservist so far.
Reply With Quote
  #2588 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2021, 04:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, can I find out if it's possible to convert to an MO for reservist after finishing local medical school (I finished my NS before enrolling into YLL). I've deferred all my reservist so far.
Yes it is possible. You can do MOCC as reservist first.
Reply With Quote
  #2589 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is the same everywhere. The academics teach stuff that is not really applicable in the private sector. And with the communications stuff. Some of the things we do in the private sector cannot and probably will not be able to be taught in the training program.

If you want to do private GP work. Do the GDFM good enough. Then learn on the job. 80% of what is done in pte GP land cannot be taught by academia.
Yup private GP land level of fam med is mostly basic medicine. MBBS +/- GDFM enough, and learn on the job. That's why NS boys can locum at GP clinics. Because you really don't need to know a lot. No need to know complex level management of multiple chronic issues.

Complicated patients in the community are almost exclusively managed in the OPS simply by virtue of the fact that they need so many medications and close followup which would be very burdensome on the average Singaporean income.
Reply With Quote
  #2590 (permalink)  
Old 21-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yup private GP land level of fam med is mostly basic medicine. MBBS +/- GDFM enough, and learn on the job. That's why NS boys can locum at GP clinics. Because you really don't need to know a lot. No need to know complex level management of multiple chronic issues.

Complicated patients in the community are almost exclusively managed in the OPS simply by virtue of the fact that they need so many medications and close followup which would be very burdensome on the average Singaporean income.
Many new GPs think that if they know more can do more procedure etc means they will be more successful as GPs in pte. Sure you know more means you can do more. But how you gonna charge? Pte land is all about $$$ and very soon you learn the patients dowan to pay. You charge higher cos you do more then they say too expensive. Plus the time you spend doing procedures. Take consent. Explain etc. Then charge how much? You soon find it is not worth it. Especially when the pts want you charge cheap cheap.
Aesthetics patients will pay. But not T&S lump excision etc. H&L who dare do?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,334 Replies, 4,819,605 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,203 Replies, 2,591,864 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,338 Replies, 1,386,240 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 68,036 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
479 Replies, 344,441 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,073 Replies, 268,026 Views
Relocation to the US or stay in SG? ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 667 Views
Working in NEA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 88,988 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
819 Replies, 220,794 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
110 Replies, 44,197 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,721 Replies, 7,480,165 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 138,038 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
205 Replies, 171,932 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,951 Replies, 1,808,105 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 110,387 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,149 Replies, 1,718,216 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
130 Replies, 100,810 Views
Working 2 FT (remote) jobs?...
0 Replies, 39 Views
How to start a small business ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 7,701 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,849 Replies, 968,177 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
166 Replies, 68,112 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
150 Replies, 106,261 Views
JTC (Jurong Town Corporation) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 40,222 Views
Need advice - local bank or bulge... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 1,492 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,905 Replies, 1,458,830 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,389 Replies, 606,189 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,033 Replies, 755,264 Views
architecture graduate - go hdb or...
5 Replies, 1,530 Views
Visa Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 18,702 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,104 Replies, 550,330 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2