How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 257 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 15-08-2021, 10:12 AM
Unregistered

Hi guys, will need some advice. Can I ask what are the signs and symptoms of burnout and when should we seek help?
I am currently a FM resident rotating through the surgical specialties (currently in gs, just completed orthopaedics).
I hate my daily work, it seems that we are being dumped around the department mainly to plug manpower gaps. I don't feel that there is any learning/clinical value to what I am doing. (For e.g I was dumped into spine for 3 months in ortho despite me repeatedly telling the roster planner that it is pointless to go there. Currently in gs, we are sent to ot on multiple occasions to hold retractor and help type op note)
I feel that my job is pointless and boring and has little relevance to my career interest(gp), I am tired (hours are obviously long in surgical postings) and more importantly I feel that I have lost interest towards patient care. (Everyday I just turn up for work and wait for instructions to be given- e.g which patient to list, what to type for post op note etc)
I no longer have an inquisitive mindset that I used to have before I join residency. If I get scolded in ot, I also can't really be bothered anymore (my mentality now is if you think I am useless in ot- which I probably am, then please feel free to find another mo)

I am not sure if I am burn out, and if I should seek help and what will happen or can be done if I do seek help; or if I should just take a break from medicine altogether (I have no bond as I am overseas grad)

Old 15-08-2021, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

Hi anyone here can shed light about the work culture between Nuh/sgh/ttsh orthopedic.
Completing ho in 2 mths (out of phase), keen to do Ortho long term, not sure which cluster should I go for my mopex

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 15-08-2021, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Whats the currently call pay like for HO MO Reg AC C

Old 15-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi anyone here can shed light about the work culture between Nuh/sgh/ttsh orthopedic.
Completing ho in 2 mths (out of phase), keen to do Ortho long term, not sure which cluster should I go for my mopex
Which institution did you do your HO ship in?
Old 15-08-2021, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Which institution did you do your HO ship in?
Nuh/ntfgh. Op here
Old 15-08-2021, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi guys, will need some advice. Can I ask what are the signs and symptoms of burnout and when should we seek help?
I am currently a FM resident rotating through the surgical specialties (currently in gs, just completed orthopaedics).
I hate my daily work, it seems that we are being dumped around the department mainly to plug manpower gaps. I don't feel that there is any learning/clinical value to what I am doing. (For e.g I was dumped into spine for 3 months in ortho despite me repeatedly telling the roster planner that it is pointless to go there. Currently in gs, we are sent to ot on multiple occasions to hold retractor and help type op note)
I feel that my job is pointless and boring and has little relevance to my career interest(gp), I am tired (hours are obviously long in surgical postings) and more importantly I feel that I have lost interest towards patient care. (Everyday I just turn up for work and wait for instructions to be given- e.g which patient to list, what to type for post op note etc)
I no longer have an inquisitive mindset that I used to have before I join residency. If I get scolded in ot, I also can't really be bothered anymore (my mentality now is if you think I am useless in ot- which I probably am, then please feel free to find another mo)

I am not sure if I am burn out, and if I should seek help and what will happen or can be done if I do seek help; or if I should just take a break from medicine altogether (I have no bond as I am overseas grad)
hey - you definitely sound like you need help.
please reach out for help yea?
i completed my FM residency already
if you need someone to talk to, leave a contact so i can reach you.

Old 15-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Sounds like you are burn out. Do try to seek help if available.
Old 15-08-2021, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

not sure if i am the only one feeling this way. but anyone feels that for residents who got matched in the last 1-2 academic years are really shortchanged in their training due to covid.
i am a fm resident who started in 2020 and so far we have not had any physical teaching sessions (all via zoom). some of our curriculum has been affected as well (e.g not allowed to do home visits, nh attachments postponed, our weekly rcc- polyclinic attachment cancelled during the months of heightened phase which is around 1/2 of the whole academic year) ​

Most of the hospital rotations focus on service jobs i.e managing covid, and have cut back on their teaching.

There are also other indirect problems. For e.g my batch has totally no camaraderie as we have hardly met each other. (So the whole idea of us supporting each other is tough as well given that we hardly met each other in person)

As most people know fm residency is only 3 years. It is likely that my residency will be completed/close to being completed once this covid is over.
Unlike the other residencies (5-6 year program) where the program can try and make up to their residents once covid is over, this is unlikely to happen to us.

I am currently in my 2nd year, but it feels that my exposure is probably less than a 1st year resident in normal circumstances (i.e pre covid)
Maybe it's just my inferiority complex, but I have no idea how am I going to survive the mmed exam which is happening in 2 years time..
Old 15-08-2021, 06:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Burnt out for sure
But, no matter what , your posting is only 3 months max.
Talk to your pd, they can give u some time off.

FM residency is a series of seemingly useless speciality rotation but it becomes really becomes useful later on. Trust me.
Old 15-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
not sure if i am the only one feeling this way. but anyone feels that for residents who got matched in the last 1-2 academic years are really shortchanged in their training due to covid.
i am a fm resident who started in 2020 and so far we have not had any physical teaching sessions (all via zoom). some of our curriculum has been affected as well (e.g not allowed to do home visits, nh attachments postponed, our weekly rcc- polyclinic attachment cancelled during the months of heightened phase which is around 1/2 of the whole academic year) ​

Most of the hospital rotations focus on service jobs i.e managing covid, and have cut back on their teaching.

There are also other indirect problems. For e.g my batch has totally no camaraderie as we have hardly met each other. (So the whole idea of us supporting each other is tough as well given that we hardly met each other in person)

As most people know fm residency is only 3 years. It is likely that my residency will be completed/close to being completed once this covid is over.
Unlike the other residencies (5-6 year program) where the program can try and make up to their residents once covid is over, this is unlikely to happen to us.

I am currently in my 2nd year, but it feels that my exposure is probably less than a 1st year resident in normal circumstances (i.e pre covid)
Maybe it's just my inferiority complex, but I have no idea how am I going to survive the mmed exam which is happening in 2 years time..
Don't be so strawberry can or not?
I transit from RCC sit sessions to zoom.
Trust me, you are learning more in the zoom sessions with diadatic teaching / role playing.
Camaradie? Aiyah. It doesn't exist la. FM residency are all 20 plus resident...you not going on class outing together like primary school so end up is small cliques forming even in normal times. You can form you own now.

M.med? Nothing in Ur RCC will prepare u for the m.med. RCC meant to prepare u for polyclinic career in chronic disease management ( bread and butter htn, DM, LDL, osteoporosis, thyroid condition , anaemia etc) .
M.med half a year u can chiong and prepare for one la. Been there . Done that.