How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 237 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2361 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2021, 09:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As someone who has gone through NS and now in my last year of residency, I do feel like NS has given me a different perspective in life that cannot be replaced.

I don't think it should always about racing to the "finishing line" first. Rather, the journey matters too. If you work hard and don't be a trouble maker, you will get there eventually.

And before you say that I had an easy NS since I am MO, no, I actually completed NS before I got into medical school. During NS, I was basically abused by my S3. At one point in time, I had upwards of 70 extras, and my CO did nothing despite knowing of this.
Thanks for your post. May I ask which specialty you are in?
However I would reply to your post by saying there is currently a glut of residents in most specialties with a bottleneck at the end for consultant posts. As an above average resident myself I'm already resigned to the fact that I have to spend years as a SSR. Why should foreign-born doctors (since most foreigners took up PRs but did not serve NS) be given a priority in consultant posts when they didn't contribute to nation building that Singaporeans did? If the resumes of a Singapore-born and foreign doctor are the same, shouldn't MOHH give the Singapore-born doctor priority for consultant posts?



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2362 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2021, 01:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your post. May I ask which specialty you are in?
However I would reply to your post by saying there is currently a glut of residents in most specialties with a bottleneck at the end for consultant posts. As an above average resident myself I'm already resigned to the fact that I have to spend years as a SSR. Why should foreign-born doctors (since most foreigners took up PRs but did not serve NS) be given a priority in consultant posts when they didn't contribute to nation building that Singaporeans did? If the resumes of a Singapore-born and foreign doctor are the same, shouldn't MOHH give the Singapore-born doctor priority for consultant posts?

Come on what did u do during NS except to locum?

U got go into combat? U got treat gunshot wounds?
At most u just give mc to kengster

Stop making NS sounds like a big deal.
I was there for two years. So you can't hoodwink me

Reply With Quote
  #2363 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2021, 01:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your post. May I ask which specialty you are in?
However I would reply to your post by saying there is currently a glut of residents in most specialties with a bottleneck at the end for consultant posts. As an above average resident myself I'm already resigned to the fact that I have to spend years as a SSR. Why should foreign-born doctors (since most foreigners took up PRs but did not serve NS) be given a priority in consultant posts when they didn't contribute to nation building that Singaporeans did? If the resumes of a Singapore-born and foreign doctor are the same, shouldn't MOHH give the Singapore-born doctor priority for consultant posts?
Thanks for your info. So any advice for future medical graduates? No intention to contribute to the bottleneck. LOL.

Apply to work in Aus/NZ/UK/US/Canada ? But these countries have drug/gun problems , not as safe as SG.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2364 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Moving forward we going to continue narrow the pay between junior doctors (mo/rp) and the consultants.

We are going to continue letting AC to do step down calls.
The idea is to narrow the renumeration to make both tracks essentially equivalent.

AC and con get more pay but more responsibility.

We will continue to a strong supply of medical graduates from our local medical schools and augment with foreign graduates.

The key is to make good and affordable

Long gone are the days where mo earn 100 per day. Now they are fat and get 7k pgy 5 with calls. And they get global clinical allowance of 500 even without mrcs or mrcp

We will continue to review MO scheme and RP scheme to make it competitive when compared to pte salaried GP
Reply With Quote
  #2365 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2021, 02:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your info. So any advice for future medical graduates? No intention to contribute to the bottleneck. LOL.

Apply to work in Aus/NZ/UK/US/Canada ? But these countries have drug/gun problems , not as safe as SG.
Gun problems? I think US yes. The rest not so. If you want more infor on Canada specifically I can share. Canada doesn't have that big a gun problem somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #2366 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2021, 03:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Come on what did u do during NS except to locum?

U got go into combat? U got treat gunshot wounds?
At most u just give mc to kengster

Stop making NS sounds like a big deal.
I was there for two years. So you can't hoodwink me
Shut up FTrash. Stop masquerading as a local. Be grateful you even have a job here.
Reply With Quote

  #2367 (permalink)  
Old 26-06-2021, 03:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your post. May I ask which specialty you are in?
However I would reply to your post by saying there is currently a glut of residents in most specialties with a bottleneck at the end for consultant posts. As an above average resident myself I'm already resigned to the fact that I have to spend years as a SSR. Why should foreign-born doctors (since most foreigners took up PRs but did not serve NS) be given a priority in consultant posts when they didn't contribute to nation building that Singaporeans did? If the resumes of a Singapore-born and foreign doctor are the same, shouldn't MOHH give the Singapore-born doctor priority for consultant posts?

Do you mind if I ask what is the average waiting time for ssr to associate consultant nowadays? And what is the pay for a SSR?
I am starting doing IM junior residency this coming July. I think medical specialty not as bad as surgery for now, but things might change in a few years. Was thinking should I just do GM given that there is the most job opportunities there?
Reply With Quote
  #2368 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your post. May I ask which specialty you are in?
However I would reply to your post by saying there is currently a glut of residents in most specialties with a bottleneck at the end for consultant posts. As an above average resident myself I'm already resigned to the fact that I have to spend years as a SSR. Why should foreign-born doctors (since most foreigners took up PRs but did not serve NS) be given a priority in consultant posts when they didn't contribute to nation building that Singaporeans did? If the resumes of a Singapore-born and foreign doctor are the same, shouldn't MOHH give the Singapore-born doctor priority for consultant posts?
I am in one of the niche, more competitive specialties. Unfortunately, that's the way of life in most occupations, not just medicine.

To your point regarding foreign-trained physicians not serving NS, I am sure you realize that SG women do not serve NS too. Do you feel like your female colleagues are also not deserving of consultant positions because they did not serve NS?

Having read through hundreds of residency applications over the years, I can assure you that CVs are almost NEVER equal. Some may favour publications over awards, and vice versa. But they are almost never equal.
Reply With Quote
  #2369 (permalink)  
Old 27-06-2021, 04:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

To your point regarding foreign-trained physicians not serving NS, I am sure you realize that SG women do not serve NS too. Do you feel like your female colleagues are also not deserving of consultant positions because they did not serve NS?
.
This point is a red herring. Male-only NS obligation is already inherently unfair to singaporean men. But this arises from a national defence policy reason and is an immutable fact that we cannot argue against. Anyway that is a whole different topic.

We are talking about the current status quo which disadvantages male Singaporean doctors against foreign doctors for consultant posts. There's no policy reason to preserve the status quo disadvantage when Singapore males have done a valuable service for the nation.
Reply With Quote
  #2370 (permalink)  
Old 28-06-2021, 06:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This point is a red herring. Male-only NS obligation is already inherently unfair to singaporean men. But this arises from a national defence policy reason and is an immutable fact that we cannot argue against. Anyway that is a whole different topic.

We are talking about the current status quo which disadvantages male Singaporean doctors against foreign doctors for consultant posts. There's no policy reason to preserve the status quo disadvantage when Singapore males have done a valuable service for the nation.

We the foreign doctors working and living in Singapore would like to thank the Singapore male doctors who serve NS so that we dont have to. Thank you
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Year end bonus for civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
341 Replies, 70,642 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,944 Replies, 7,652,376 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,053 Replies, 774,705 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
213 Replies, 80,965 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,061 Replies, 1,877,492 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,407 Replies, 642,472 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,945 Replies, 1,509,828 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,852 Replies, 5,042,530 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
600 Replies, 476,347 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 12,475 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,221 Replies, 1,531,721 Views
ST Engineering Land Systems ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 1,906 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,929 Replies, 648,028 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,314 Replies, 2,669,831 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 78,135 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
287 Replies, 117,417 Views
Htx ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,834 Views
NE digital
0 Replies, 46 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 50,872 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
545 Replies, 308,691 Views
Civil Service Bonus 2021 Year End
5 Replies, 1,266 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
709 Replies, 381,354 Views
Top Primary Schools 2009
1 Replies, 4,336 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
119 Replies, 133,249 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,256 Replies, 315,991 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,171 Replies, 2,679,019 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,807 Replies, 2,162,150 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
659 Replies, 333,321 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 161,444 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 45,125 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2