How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 224 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2231 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, I'm a Y2 Dukie student with previous couple of years of clinical trial experience who is also interested in OP post regarding alternative careers in medicine. Quite paiseh to ask for salary range from the few known associates who have made the switch out of medicine, and more paiseh to cold call on Linkedin.

Does anyone know what sort of alternative careers I can do with my clinical trial experience? Pharm & Insurance like OP mentioned? What are the salaries like compared to the usual non-procedural medical specialist?
Go to: s://.mycareersfuture.gov.sg/
Type in keywords like
Medical science liaison - entry level requiring MD / PhD, usually about $7k starting
Medical director - as you go up salary can go up to $20+k and beyond
Country director, etc

Reply With Quote
  #2232 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2021, 02:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi friends, I'm a Singaporean female who have a usyd MD and obtained my FRACGP GP qualifications last year. I was due to return to Singapore last year but as the borders were shut due to Covid 19 stayed put to work part time as a GP in Sydney. I'm wondering what sort of opportunities there are to me as a Australian qualified GP when I return to Singapore. The consensus seems to be that borders will not open till next year so I'm considering doing some post grad qualifications while I'm stuck here, such as maybe in occupational health or something else, but I'm not sure if it'll be recognised in Singapore or if it'll be financially rewarding? Any advice is warmly welcome.

Reply With Quote
  #2233 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2021, 07:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
why was it a failure?
Not a doctor myself but I have worked with clinican scientists before.. Sorry no offence but some are just not cut out for research.. They also don't have the time anyway, I hardly see them in the labs. They are expected to see patients plus do research plus attend meetings etc, where got time?

Reply With Quote
  #2234 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2021, 11:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not a doctor myself but I have worked with clinican scientists before.. Sorry no offence but some are just not cut out for research.. They also don't have the time anyway, I hardly see them in the labs. They are expected to see patients plus do research plus attend meetings etc, where got time?
Funny you say that cos the clinicians will say these guys spend too much time doing rresearch and dont have the clinical skills. Especially in surgery. Neither here nor there. CMI both ways


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2235 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2021, 12:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi friends, I'm a Singaporean female who have a usyd MD and obtained my FRACGP GP qualifications last year. I was due to return to Singapore last year but as the borders were shut due to Covid 19 stayed put to work part time as a GP in Sydney. I'm wondering what sort of opportunities there are to me as a Australian qualified GP when I return to Singapore. The consensus seems to be that borders will not open till next year so I'm considering doing some post grad qualifications while I'm stuck here, such as maybe in occupational health or something else, but I'm not sure if it'll be recognised in Singapore or if it'll be financially rewarding? Any advice is warmly welcome.
Occupational health in high demand in Singapore. Starting pay package is $300,000 p.a plus bonuses.
Reply With Quote
  #2236 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2021, 09:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Occupational health in high demand in Singapore. Starting pay package is $300,000 p.a plus bonuses.

Really rubbish. Obviously not a doctor and anyhow spout
I wonder why all the local gps don't go the diploma in occupational health and then earn 300 k pa.
You do a preventive medicine residency and specialise in occupational health come out as associate con also don't have 300k pa.
Reply With Quote

  #2237 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2021, 10:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi friends, I'm a Singaporean female who have a usyd MD and obtained my FRACGP GP qualifications last year. I was due to return to Singapore last year but as the borders were shut due to Covid 19 stayed put to work part time as a GP in Sydney. I'm wondering what sort of opportunities there are to me as a Australian qualified GP when I return to Singapore. The consensus seems to be that borders will not open till next year so I'm considering doing some post grad qualifications while I'm stuck here, such as maybe in occupational health or something else, but I'm not sure if it'll be recognised in Singapore or if it'll be financially rewarding? Any advice is warmly welcome.
Firstly, Ur fracgp doesn't get u anything more than conditional reg which means u have to work under supervision. . None of the diploma by Australia uni gives u an financial edge.
Private wise only raffles can hire u. Government wise, it's mohh or one of the polyclinic.
Thing is, polyclinic seldom hire overseas trained gp straight as u typically can't hit the floor running unlike one of the local guys who had rotate through 1 year of polyclinic settings and proven to work under pressure ( plus with knowledge of local guidelines , referrals, social system, hospital system and even knowing how to use the terrible system known as epic and Nehr). Polyclinic bosses under a lot of pressure and every hire is valuable. Few of them want to chance it on an unknown. Furthermore as u have a non local qualifications, u cannot advance to consultant and that means u more likely to leave once u hit full reg. Now why do I want to hire u with all that uncertainty?

When mohh hires u, the salary is not great la. If unwork hard in auz, u probably getting 100 ton150 an hour. Mohh Dr get 5k a month nia. And no, Ur fracgp doesn't give u more money.
Raffles might not take u too. Same reason as above, u can't hit the floor running as primary care is quite contextualised Vs say a hard core skill like surgery. Eg, a Singapore trained gp going over will not know what Medicare is, what's the big deal about aboriginal health , what's a long consult , what's a short one and gasp, u can't sell medication to your patient?!! And what's with 15 minutes consult? That's a luxury! I have 2 mins per patient in sg!

Stay in Australia la. Best bet financially.
If it's family then come back sg , reset urself with mohh and maybe move after 2 to 3 years.

This is the best and true advice u gonna get. Ignore trolls who are not even real docs.
Reply With Quote
  #2238 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2021, 12:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Firstly, Ur fracgp doesn't get u anything more than conditional reg which means u have to work under supervision. . None of the diploma by Australia uni gives u an financial edge.
Private wise only raffles can hire u. Government wise, it's mohh or one of the polyclinic.
Thing is, polyclinic seldom hire overseas trained gp straight as u typically can't hit the floor running unlike one of the local guys who had rotate through 1 year of polyclinic settings and proven to work under pressure ( plus with knowledge of local guidelines , referrals, social system, hospital system and even knowing how to use the terrible system known as epic and Nehr). Polyclinic bosses under a lot of pressure and every hire is valuable. Few of them want to chance it on an unknown. Furthermore as u have a non local qualifications, u cannot advance to consultant and that means u more likely to leave once u hit full reg. Now why do I want to hire u with all that uncertainty?

When mohh hires u, the salary is not great la. If unwork hard in auz, u probably getting 100 ton150 an hour. Mohh Dr get 5k a month nia. And no, Ur fracgp doesn't give u more money.
Raffles might not take u too. Same reason as above, u can't hit the floor running as primary care is quite contextualised Vs say a hard core skill like surgery. Eg, a Singapore trained gp going over will not know what Medicare is, what's the big deal about aboriginal health , what's a long consult , what's a short one and gasp, u can't sell medication to your patient?!! And what's with 15 minutes consult? That's a luxury! I have 2 mins per patient in sg!

Stay in Australia la. Best bet financially.
If it's family then come back sg , reset urself with mohh and maybe move after 2 to 3 years.

This is the best and true advice u gonna get. Ignore trolls who are not even real docs.
Agree with the above. Please donít come back unless itís for family. And if itís so, please moderate your expectations. Many overseas doctor that return mid or late career are often unhappy or frustrated with the environment.
Reply With Quote
  #2239 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2021, 01:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Stay in Australia. Don't come back to Singapore and give us more competition. We want to keep the best positions and opportunities for local trained Singaporean doctors.
Reply With Quote
  #2240 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2021, 02:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi, anyone have experience in switching SIs after completion of FM residency before MMED? Eg. NUP to singheath etc. Need some help here...


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,094 Replies, 801,645 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
222 Replies, 166,755 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,516 Replies, 2,775,071 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,785 Replies, 494,155 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,856 Replies, 2,242,195 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
371 Replies, 68,464 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
397 Replies, 135,167 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
344 Replies, 354,066 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,484 Replies, 1,625,139 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,395 Replies, 7,916,545 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
580 Replies, 196,207 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,712 Replies, 5,396,582 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,332 Replies, 366,683 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
132 Replies, 86,777 Views
What are the signs that your boss... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 860 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
178 Replies, 124,838 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
647 Replies, 504,248 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
966 Replies, 320,492 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,158 Replies, 642,065 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,326 Replies, 1,708,037 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,369 Replies, 2,828,316 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
637 Replies, 329,224 Views
Working in SMRT ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 23,157 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
45 Replies, 30,166 Views
Cpf senior manager ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 3,085 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
490 Replies, 96,639 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,201 Replies, 1,384,057 Views
Suitable job recommendations
3 Replies, 252 Views
Mid career switch - social worker
4 Replies, 2,201 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2