Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How is life as a doctor in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/793-how-life-doctor-singapore.html)

Unregistered 05-05-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK Cons (Post 5836)
I have been an NHS consultant psychiatrist for almost 3 years and am thinking of taking a sabbatical in Singapore working in the public health system for a year or so. I wonder what the experience is like for the transition from the NHS to Singapore's health service.

I think the pay is variable and negotiable. However, is this offered up front and has the process of moving and tansferring your skills been a problem.

I wonder if there are any language issues in Singapore. Do people access healthcare in Mandarin or in English? Taking a psychiatric history in mandarin would be a kin to a comedy sketch.

Many thanks for anyone who is able to offer any advice.

Most patients in Singapore, except the older ones, can speak reasonable English. And there are even local doctors who speak only English (they grow up in an English-only environment but their accent is very asian).

Unregistered 09-05-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confused.com (Post 5302)
Very interested to read the remarks above - I am a Consultant in the UK since last 2.5 years.I have recently been tempted by Singapore consultant jobs - mainly the weather (!) and the fact that it is in Asia ( I'm Indian).Also thought it would be nice to bring kids up in cosmopolitan environment.
Is this the truth? Does life not get better as doctors progress up the ladder? Are the earnings not comfortable enough as a Consultant to not need locum work and to live comfortably?

Life does get easier when you are a consultant, well... depending on the institution you happen to be in and the presence of tyrants etc etc.

admin 30-05-2010 01:09 PM

See also the comments at:

Doctors’ pay | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore

and

Graduate Employment Survey 2009 (published 2010) | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore

Unregistered 15-03-2011 01:08 AM

Arrogant Doctor in singapore SGH

Had made an appointment with this Dr XXX from SGH on 14/03/11. This doctor shown no regards for me by not turning up.The lame excuse given is busy. I felt insulted.

Unregistered 15-03-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10203)
Had made an appointment with this Dr XXX from SGH on 14/03/11. This doctor shown no regards for me by not turning up.The lame excuse given is busy. I felt insulted.

So i am the one who is stupid to turn up and very free...while this promising doctor is very busy and high class? What kind of person is this?

Unregistered 15-03-2011 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10204)
So i am the one who is stupid to turn up and very free...while this promising doctor is very busy and high class? What kind of person is this?

That's not all..i remember asking to write a memo to my camp MO,this doctor then flung the letter in front of me without giving me the envelop. When i asked for it, again flung the envelop in front of me very reluctantly.

Unregistered 15-03-2011 07:05 AM

Arrogant doctor from SGH

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10204)

This fellow think that i'm a "soft" and nice guy type good to bully,let me show you,you are totally wrong! I am even bolder than the other jerks you know and i'm extraordinarily successful for my age too!

Unregistered 15-03-2011 11:50 AM

Complain directly to SMC if you feel you are mistreated professionally.

Unregistered 15-03-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10207)
This fellow think that i'm a "soft" and nice guy type good to bully,let me show you,you are totally wrong! I am even bolder than the other jerks you know and i'm extraordinarily successful for my age too!

Unregistered, remember to seek psychiatric help too.

Unregistered 05-06-2011 11:43 PM

totally agree

From the point of view of a patient, I hate to say this to a fellow patient. Whoever you are, please do see a psychologist or counsellor for anger management. You really frighten me with your unreasonable threats and ranting.