How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 193 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1921 (permalink)  
Old 15-04-2021, 11:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lol. My plan is to pursue a science degree followed by postgraduate medicine. Thanks for being so ďencouragingĒ with your words. If the healthcare system is full of people like you who look down on others, I understand why people find it so toxic. Also, no. Money, status, and fame were never on my reasons of why medicine. On the other hand, there are many people I know with 90RP who go into medicine purely for the money, and of course, our universities accept them.

I just wanted to find out the current situation of the medical field in Singapore. The percentage of doctors who apply year after year to the specialties they want to no avail, or maybe a rough number. What do they end up doing?
Medical field is filled with egoistic arrogant snobs. Toxic work environments. All young drs in local system are bonded. ie trapped. For your own good, best you stay away from medicine. To answer your question those who cannot they end up being GPs or Medical Aestheticians. Very few will choose to do something totally non medical because so much time and effort has been invested to become a doctor. "So wasted if dont be dr".
Do you really want to be trapped like that?

Reply With Quote
  #1922 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 12:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
be doctor good. Everyone thinks you earn a lot of money. Except no banker lawyer or Minister will want to be doctor lah.
exactly, everyone thinks Drs earn alot when they actually dont. for the same number of hours worked, lawyer banker consulting earn 2x or even 3x

i look at doctors with pity haha
assoc con 20k/per month? what bull
my brother is a consultant at ttsh dont even get 20k, what more an assoc con

Reply With Quote
  #1923 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 12:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You want ask how many times?
assoc con 20k/per month? what bull
my brother is a consultant at ttsh dont even get 20k, what more an assoc con

Reply With Quote
  #1924 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 01:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
exactly, everyone thinks Drs earn alot when they actually dont. for the same number of hours worked, lawyer banker consulting earn 2x or even 3x

i look at doctors with pity haha
assoc con 20k/per month? what bull
my brother is a consultant at ttsh dont even get 20k, what more an assoc con
Supply and demand. There are so many ignorant people still want to be drs and their parents also want their children to be drs. Don't know the reality. And who would want to expose the reality? Drs? They want their pride. Government? They want to keep the myth going. So more suckers still want to be drs. Meanwhile they make tweaks to the system to make healthcare cheaper and affordable at the expense of doctors. The sweet spot is to pay the doctors well enough such that it isn't exactly low but yet not enough that they can work very hard for 5-10 years and then retire rich enough. make them work till they die. Also if it pays well enough they find it hard to justify switching careers after all the hard work put in. Dont be stupid and fall for this trap. I know many drs will not advise their children to take up medicine because they know the truth. As we go into the coming decades I see the trend continuing. Salaries of doctors will fall behind inflation.
Reply With Quote
  #1925 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 02:40 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 204
sinkingfeeling is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Be overworked/unpaid doctor is more satki than being unemployed hikkikomori, at least one is actually contributing to society
Reply With Quote
  #1926 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 09:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lol. My plan is to pursue a science degree followed by postgraduate medicine. Thanks for being so ďencouragingĒ with your words. If the healthcare system is full of people like you who look down on others, I understand why people find it so toxic. Also, no. Money, status, and fame were never on my reasons of why medicine. On the other hand, there are many people I know with 90RP who go into medicine purely for the money, and of course, our universities accept them.

I just wanted to find out the current situation of the medical field in Singapore. The percentage of doctors who apply year after year to the specialties they want to no avail, or maybe a rough number. What do they end up doing?
Get off your high horse. Given what you said you're likely just after status, fame, money which other doctors has already pointed out is in decline. If you're really altruistic you could consider being a medical social worker, or if you die die want to be surgeon apply to the thousands of medical schools in Malaysia and work as a surgeon there.
Reply With Quote

  #1927 (permalink)  
Old 16-04-2021, 06:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This entire thread seems so depressing. Iím going to ORD. Originally wanted to pursue undergraduate medicine, but was rejected from multiple universities in the UK and Australia. I was from a Poly, so itís too competitive to enter NUS or NTU medicine. From what Iíve read here and what people I know told me, becoming a specialist, especially as a Singaporean IMG coming back to Singapore is just too difficult and will take too much time. I genuinely wanted to do medicine for a long time and pursue a surgical specialty (I donít mind the working hours and everything else), but it just seems like itís not worth it anymore? Am I even able to get a HO posting with so many local grads and IMGs?
Hmm. If u can't even get into a full fee paying place in UK or Australia, u really have to accept that academically , you are not there la.
Actually nus and ntu has been very accepting of diploma now a days. You can't run away from academic excellence when you want to do medicine. Results not good, just admit it, no need to justify. I'm an Australian graduate so I can tell u I know how lax their entry requirements are.
Bluff us ok, bluff yourself for what.
Still want to aim for Duke nus? Got money go Australia redo 2 years of foundation studies then aim for undergraduate entry . Higher chance

It's very funny when young 20 year old chaps who had never work a single day in their life say they dun mind the working hours and everything else. Fyi, real doctoring is nowhere close to what you see on Grey's anatomy or new Amsterdam TV shows.

Fyi, not that hard for fmg (foreign medical graduate , you use IMG wrongly) to get a speciality training position in sg. U try applying for ortho position in Australia,. Go to the racs website and see how they calculate the points. U literally have to be godlike to get a position. In UK, it's almost impossible as a foreigner.
Sg is really a walk in the park comparatively. You just need to show commitment , dun piss off anybody , show some intelligence and you will get in after a year or 2. So easy to get in that quit rate is quite high..


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1928 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There are seriously so many egoistic snobs here. There are many doctors who pursue an undergraduate degree followed by postgraduate medicine as well, because they could not enter undergraduate medicine. Are you saying that none of them are academically inclined and donít deserve to be doctors? Some of you guys are ridiculous. Thanks for showing me the elitist side of medicine in Singapore. I appreciate you broadening my horizons.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1929 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2021, 09:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmm. If u can't even get into a full fee paying place in UK or Australia, u really have to accept that academically , you are not there la.
Actually nus and ntu has been very accepting of diploma now a days. You can't run away from academic excellence when you want to do medicine. Results not good, just admit it, no need to justify. I'm an Australian graduate so I can tell u I know how lax their entry requirements are.
Bluff us ok, bluff yourself for what.
Still want to aim for Duke nus? Got money go Australia redo 2 years of foundation studies then aim for undergraduate entry . Higher chance

It's very funny when young 20 year old chaps who had never work a single day in their life say they dun mind the working hours and everything else. Fyi, real doctoring is nowhere close to what you see on Grey's anatomy or new Amsterdam TV shows.

Fyi, not that hard for fmg (foreign medical graduate , you use IMG wrongly) to get a speciality training position in sg. U try applying for ortho position in Australia,. Go to the racs website and see how they calculate the points. U literally have to be godlike to get a position. In UK, it's almost impossible as a foreigner.
Sg is really a walk in the park comparatively. You just need to show commitment , dun piss off anybody , show some intelligence and you will get in after a year or 2. So easy to get in that quit rate is quite high..
Fyi, NUS and NTU are not as accepting of diplomas as you think. Every year less than 10 Polytechnic students enter medicine in NUS. Iím not sure if that number as risen, but it definitely has not risen significantly. I also never said that doctoring was like Greyís Anatomy. Itís bold of you to assume that. Even if my GPA isnít excellent enough now, it does not mean that my undergraduate GPA would not be for postgraduate medicine. Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for opening my eyes to the toxic side of the medical industry in Singapore.
Reply With Quote
  #1930 (permalink)  
Old 17-04-2021, 11:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fyi, NUS and NTU are not as accepting of diplomas as you think. Every year less than 10 Polytechnic students enter medicine in NUS. Iím not sure if that number as risen, but it definitely has not risen significantly. I also never said that doctoring was like Greyís Anatomy. Itís bold of you to assume that. Even if my GPA isnít excellent enough now, it does not mean that my undergraduate GPA would not be for postgraduate medicine. Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for opening my eyes to the toxic side of the medical industry in Singapore.
I think you dont believe what we are saying. And you are still going to become a doctor. I want you to remember this moment when you are on call and are dead tired running around like headless chicken and being screwed by toxic egoistic seniors and nurses. Dont say we never warned you. Since you are so determined. Good for you. You should chase your dream and make it come true. Everything else after getting your degree remember when I say this....it will be a long long nightmare.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
230 Replies, 181,605 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
491 Replies, 147,959 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
118 Replies, 73,691 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
639 Replies, 329,421 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
140 Replies, 87,003 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,732 Replies, 5,401,053 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 30,259 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,792 Replies, 495,084 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,374 Replies, 2,830,410 Views
Fresh grad 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 22,874 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,344 Replies, 367,840 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,161 Replies, 642,832 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
133 Replies, 104,285 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,490 Replies, 698,684 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
224 Replies, 167,016 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
179 Replies, 125,046 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
967 Replies, 320,894 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
651 Replies, 504,567 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,098 Replies, 801,940 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,486 Replies, 1,626,687 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,858 Replies, 2,243,279 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,518 Replies, 2,776,481 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,397 Replies, 7,918,835 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
581 Replies, 196,825 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
371 Replies, 68,723 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
397 Replies, 135,324 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
344 Replies, 354,215 Views
What are the signs that your boss... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 941 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,326 Replies, 1,709,709 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2