Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How is life as a doctor in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/793-how-life-doctor-singapore.html)

Unregistered 15-03-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159205)
It impossible to own a landed for docs of these generation.
But condo is easily acheivable
My ortho prof told me ten years ago.

A semi d at least 5mil, terrace 3mil.
If u can pay the downpayment of 20%, then can you service the monthly loan of 20k and 12k respectively for 30years?
Because doctors are seen as an easy profession so lots of ppl queuing up for med schs.
So lots of supply.
Because patients are more and more complex, more time is needed to service each one.
And most refuse to pay out of pocket appropriately.

As such being a doc nowadays like being a technician, but about 4times the pay.

The cost of living in Singapore must be very high. Houses are expensive.

There must be other places and cities in China that dont have such high property prices. Cant doctors move to more affordable cities in China instead of staying in Singapore?

Unregistered 15-03-2021 10:33 PM

Is registrar same as resident physician?

Unregistered 15-03-2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159224)
The cost of living in Singapore must be very high. Houses are expensive.

There must be other places and cities in China that dont have such high property prices. Cant doctors move to more affordable cities in China instead of staying in Singapore?

in china doctor pays are lower and houses are more expensive.

Unregistered 15-03-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159304)
Is registrar same as resident physician?

Depends on your centres/hospitals,

Some hospital will have a title called staff physician/service registrar. If they have then resident physician will tend to refer senior MO level.

On the other hand some hospital, resident physician can be senior MO/registrar level

Unregistered 16-03-2021 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159313)
in china doctor pays are lower and houses are more expensive.

Sorry my bad. I just realized Singapore is a country itself and not a city in China.

Life as a doctor is tough in most parts of the world.

Unregistered 16-03-2021 05:37 PM

Should I apply for Duke NUS MD degree?

Hi everyone,

It's been interesting to read through the previous posts. I would like to seek your opinions regarding my prospects of earning an MD degree on top of my PhD degree.

So currently I am working on my PhD degree in NUS. My field is data science + brain imaging. My undergrad background is in engineering. I am thinking about applying to Duke-NUS MD programme after completing my first PhD degree.

Do you think my PhD degree would matter much after I become a doctor?

Thanks!

Unregistered 16-03-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159403)
Hi everyone,

It's been interesting to read through the previous posts. I would like to seek your opinions regarding my prospects of earning an MD degree on top of my PhD degree.

So currently I am working on my PhD degree in NUS. My field is data science + brain imaging. My undergrad background is in engineering. I am thinking about applying to Duke-NUS MD programme after completing my first PhD degree.

Do you think my PhD degree would matter much after I become a doctor?

Thanks!

Yes your phd is impt.
So higher chance of getting into duke nus md
Then also higher chance of getting into residency of your choice - in this case int med then subspec into neurology or radiology, then subspec into neuroradiology.

From my observations, while duke nus does not have any advantage over mbbs in getting residency, a phd-md from duke nus is advantageous.

The more you study the better really.
My jc classmate who had lousier grades than me, didnt get into nus mbbs.
He continued on non-mbbs degree then did md-phd.
While initial clinical acumen they are lousier, eventually
His outcome is better than ppl like me who did nus mbbs.

Unregistered 16-03-2021 09:01 PM

Furthermore now is all using AI to read scan.
Your data sci + imaging of brain will be very handy
I believe you will be a shoo in for duke nus md

Unregistered 16-03-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159436)
Yes your phd is impt.
So higher chance of getting into duke nus md
Then also higher chance of getting into residency of your choice - in this case int med then subspec into neurology or radiology, then subspec into neuroradiology.

From my observations, while duke nus does not have any advantage over mbbs in getting residency, a phd-md from duke nus is advantageous.

The more you study the better really.
My jc classmate who had lousier grades than me, didnt get into nus mbbs.
He continued on non-MBS degree then did md-phd.
While initial clinical acumen they are lousier, eventually
His outcome is better than ppl like me who did nus mbbs.

Thanks! This is really helpful. I'm feeling more sure about this choice :)

maxmixy 18-03-2021 06:50 AM

My older brother, who works as a doctor, says that the salary can vary greatly from the doctor's specification. I can't talk about all the specifications, but I can talk about my brother's profession. It works as a Phlebotomist. It has to do with the blood and its analysis, as far as I can remember. His salary is about about $ 35,000, you can see more accurate figures here phlebotomynearyou.com, since sometimes this can change a bit. In fact, it's not such a difficult specialization, but for this my brother had to learn a lot of material. He is a good doctor and loves his job, so I think that such a salary is very right.