How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 162 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1611 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1 mth. Come on la, 2k to consultant like 0.1 mth?
How many years do you have to work to become a consultant? I only know HO 1 year, MO 3/4 years...

Reply With Quote
  #1612 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes this true. Ask any doctor in hospitals. This pay range has remained relatively constant since 10yrs ago. They salary of doctors have not kept up with inflation. Junior Teachers and military officers have similar pay to junior doctors.

You only start earning big bucks once u attain consultant or senior consultant status and start treating medical tourism patients.. ie rich tai tais from Indonesia/russia.

As for private clinics, most are opened by big chains or established doctors..who should be more correctly known as businessmen rather than doctors. They hire doctors for peanuts to work for them and earn passive income.

There is a shortage of doctors in Singapore due to more and more leaving the profession ( i have heard of some being property agents, MLMs, and Uber) or going private to treat foreigners. MOH is trying to close the gap in primary and public healthcare by importing lots of foreign trained, foreigner doctors.

The saying as time goes by... Singaporeans doctors will treat foreigners (medical tourism) and foreign doctors will treat Singaporeans (polyclinic and public healthcare).

is this still true now? this post was in 2016...am wondering how things have changed over the past few years.

Reply With Quote
  #1613 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As a doctor in a public hospital, a Medical Officer's take home pay is approximately $4000 - $5000, and this will last for as long as you decide not to specialise. I know of friends who've been doctors for 8+ years earning this same amount.

Even if you take the fastest route to becoming a specialist, it takes a minimum of 10 years to earn $10,000:

1 year as a House Officer: $3000

3 years as a Medical Officer: $4000 - $5000 (variable depending on number of calls)

4 years as a Registrar: $6000 - $7000

2 years as an Associate Consultant: $9000

Consultant: $10,000 +

Training spots can be very competitive, so you may get stuck at each step of the way for a couple more years.

Furthermore, the majority of doctors never specialise, hence continue to earn a Medical Officer pay for as long as they stay in the public sector. Oft repeated, but being a doctor is not one career to get rich quick.

Of course, if you're a doctor in the private sector who can afford medical marketing in Singapore, that's another matter.

s://.doctorxdentist.com/10-myths-doctors-singapore/


Does this still hold true? This article was first published in 2016, and it has been quite some time, am wondering if it still applies...

Reply With Quote
  #1614 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2020, 01:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a doctor in a public hospital, a Medical Officer's take home pay is approximately $4000 - $5000, and this will last for as long as you decide not to specialise. I know of friends who've been doctors for 8+ years earning this same amount.

Even if you take the fastest route to becoming a specialist, it takes a minimum of 10 years to earn $10,000:

1 year as a House Officer: $3000

3 years as a Medical Officer: $4000 - $5000 (variable depending on number of calls)

4 years as a Registrar: $6000 - $7000

2 years as an Associate Consultant: $9000

Consultant: $10,000 +

Training spots can be very competitive, so you may get stuck at each step of the way for a couple more years.

Furthermore, the majority of doctors never specialise, hence continue to earn a Medical Officer pay for as long as they stay in the public sector. Oft repeated, but being a doctor is not one career to get rich quick.

Of course, if you're a doctor in the private sector who can afford medical marketing in Singapore, that's another matter.

s://.doctorxdentist.com/10-myths-doctors-singapore/


Does this still hold true? This article was first published in 2016, and it has been quite some time, am wondering if it still applies...
Sort of.

But to be honest most jobs in Singapore aren't paid that well
So doc pay are reasonable

Compared to nursing, doc pay is abt 1.8x as much
Compared to teacher, doc pay is abt 1.5x as much
Compared to pilot who forced into npl, doc pay is abt 1000x as much
Reply With Quote
  #1615 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2020, 02:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sort of.

But to be honest most jobs in Singapore aren't paid that well
So doc pay are reasonable

Compared to nursing, doc pay is abt 1.8x as much
Compared to teacher, doc pay is abt 1.5x as much
Compared to pilot who forced into npl, doc pay is abt 1000x as much
Compared to lawyers?
Compared to bankers?
Reply With Quote
  #1616 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2020, 01:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Compared to lawyers?
Compared to bankers?
The average Banker and relationship manager earns less than doc
Lawyers cant even find tc, due to glut
Reply With Quote

  #1617 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default US trained physician

Greetings,

As a US trained American board of Internal Medicine certified physician who is currently practicing 5+ years in the US what are the job prospects. What is the expected salary in USD.

Is it feasible to open a private practice? Is there Hospitalist work?

Thank you for your answers.
Reply With Quote
  #1618 (permalink)  
Old 26-12-2020, 08:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Greetings,

As a US trained American board of Internal Medicine certified physician who is currently practicing 5+ years in the US what are the job prospects. What is the expected salary in USD.

Is it feasible to open a private practice? Is there Hospitalist work?

Thank you for your answers.
A senior consultant post in a public hospital will yield 300,000sgd or 200,000usd.

After taxes, u will get about 160,000usd

Thank u

Not possible to open pte practice.
Q
Reply With Quote
  #1619 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2020, 01:20 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How much is COVID bonus?

They give you a letter of appreciation and a coin.

Hooray!
Reply With Quote
  #1620 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2020, 01:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A senior consultant post in a public hospital will yield 300,000sgd or 200,000usd.

After taxes, u will get about 160,000usd

Thank u

Not possible to open pte practice.
Q
So little?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,103 Replies, 270,546 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,287 Replies, 652,083 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,403 Replies, 1,393,119 Views
Relocation to the US or stay in SG? ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 910 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
824 Replies, 222,232 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,353 Replies, 4,829,449 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
116 Replies, 44,836 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,729 Replies, 7,488,209 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,915 Replies, 1,461,482 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
488 Replies, 345,729 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
92 Replies, 27,122 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
130 Replies, 123,353 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,103 Replies, 1,330,064 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,952 Replies, 1,810,761 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 2,699 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 101,143 Views
How much to ask for starting pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
201 Replies, 68,832 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,152 Replies, 1,719,930 Views
Anyone working in Recruit express? ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 39,110 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 10,493 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
347 Replies, 111,508 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
575 Replies, 458,488 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 138,615 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,204 Replies, 2,594,930 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 68,730 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
208 Replies, 172,298 Views
Working 2 FT (remote) jobs?...
2 Replies, 165 Views
Luxoft
0 Replies, 45 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,065 Replies, 567,278 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2