How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 129 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1281 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I do prefer the education system and stricter laws in SG, so it will be a safer place to raise a kid. However, my career would also be a huge deciding factor.
Most doctors will usually stay where they trained. They are familiar with the system. They have built their contacts. Professionally it makes sense. It also takes a lot of effort and work to get licenced in another jurisdiction. Even within the same country eg USA, Canada, Australia you need to register with the state or provincial college. And they would ask for letters of reference, letters from the current college. It is a hassle.

Doctors usually move to a new country for personal reasons. eg family. Spouse has found work in another country. Extended family situation requires a move.

Very seldom is it for monetary reasons. Especially if you are talking about a doctor who is doing clinical work seeing patients, operating etc.

The fact that you are thinking of moving probably means you have strong personal/family reasons to do so. And you are trying to justify to yourself and reassure yourself that a move to Singapore will at least not be a downgrade on your career, and also convince yourself that it might be an upgrade.

For doctors moving from 3rd world to first world countries, there is no such dilemma. The problem is often more one of whether they can even get registration to practice in the new country.

Now for doctors moving from 1st world countries to a maybe pretty new 1st world or 3rd world country they often wonder if the move will hurt their career.

Don't think too much. If you need to move you gotta move. Make the best of it. If it doesn't work out you can always move back.

Reply With Quote
  #1282 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 01:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Iím a non-medical person but my friend was recently told to lose weight prior to his residency posting. Is this for real LOL???

Reply With Quote
  #1283 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 02:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Iím a non-medical person but my friend was recently told to lose weight prior to his residency posting. Is this for real LOL???
Depends on specialty

A doctor generally should be a role model to his/her patients.
How is a Fat/smoker/alcoholic GP Able to Convince his patient to lose weight/stop smoking/Stop drinking?

Bottomline
Aesthetics and derm docs you gotta look good.
Endocrine/bariatric surgery - you must not be fat
Paychiatry/addiction medicine - you should not drink or take drugs
Forsenic path - fat is actually good

Reply With Quote
  #1284 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 04:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Depends on specialty

A doctor generally should be a role model to his/her patients.
How is a Fat/smoker/alcoholic GP Able to Convince his patient to lose weight/stop smoking/Stop drinking?

Bottomline
Aesthetics and derm docs you gotta look good.
Endocrine/bariatric surgery - you must not be fat
Paychiatry/addiction medicine - you should not drink or take drugs
Forsenic path - fat is actually good
Many doctors skip meals regularly. Have very little sleep. Work very hard to the point of exhaustion. Eat quick quick meals that may not have good nutritional value. Drink a lot of coffee.

Doctors don't particularly lead very healthy and balanced lives.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1285 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Many doctors skip meals regularly. Have very little sleep. Work very hard to the point of exhaustion. Eat quick quick meals that may not have good nutritional value. Drink a lot of coffee.

Doctors don't particularly lead very healthy and balanced lives.
And so do female doctors.

And your IB and law counterparts for that matter.

Your job doesnít give u an excuse to be a fatso.
Reply With Quote
  #1286 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 01:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Many doctors skip meals regularly. Have very little sleep. Work very hard to the point of exhaustion. Eat quick quick meals that may not have good nutritional value. Drink a lot of coffee.

Doctors don't particularly lead very healthy and balanced lives.
s://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mok_Ying_Ren
Reply With Quote

  #1287 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 07:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What's the average working hours for a Consultant Rheumatologist in a govt hospital? Thanks guys.
Depends on the hospital. But generally.... Prepare to work weekends and have jam packed clinics 20-30 patients per session as outpatient. Inpatient service is slightly less busy but you will have sickies. Many many many referrals mostly for knee pain ankle pain or raised ESR with very little effort put into the referral per se... some Hospitals have middle grades and others donít. My cluster rheumies see about 3-5 blues a day on weekdays, Can hit 8-10 on a Monday or Friday.

Pay wise 15K is a good ballpark figure.
Reply With Quote
  #1288 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Silly question here.
Currently a ho working in a covid ward, managing patients who are covid positive.
We wear full ppe during our encounters with these covid patients.

Can I ask, whenever we go to restaurant or public facilities, we are asked to declare if we come into contact with covid positive patients in last 14 days. Are we allowed to say no (otherwise we won't be allowed entry) given that we are in full ppe?
Reply With Quote
  #1289 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Depends on the hospital. But generally.... Prepare to work weekends and have jam packed clinics 20-30 patients per session as outpatient. Inpatient service is slightly less busy but you will have sickies. Many many many referrals mostly for knee pain ankle pain or raised ESR with very little effort put into the referral per se... some Hospitals have middle grades and others donít. My cluster rheumies see about 3-5 blues a day on weekdays, Can hit 8-10 on a Monday or Friday.

Pay wise 15K is a good ballpark figure.
15k including base salary + allowance? How's the year end bonus usually like?
Reply With Quote
  #1290 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Silly question here.
Currently a ho working in a covid ward, managing patients who are covid positive.
We wear full ppe during our encounters with these covid patients.

Can I ask, whenever we go to restaurant or public facilities, we are asked to declare if we come into contact with covid positive patients in last 14 days. Are we allowed to say no (otherwise we won't be allowed entry) given that we are in full ppe?
Say it as it is.

Yes. I work in covid ward. So I come into contact with covid positive patient every day. But I wear full PPE.

You are supposed to get free meals and proclaimed a hero.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,096 Replies, 2,719,500 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
469 Replies, 90,932 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,301 Replies, 5,657,299 Views
Citibank Technology Analyst Program
6 Replies, 3,728 Views
need some info on CNB ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,075 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,818 Replies, 281,249 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,270 Replies, 998,691 Views
How much do you need to retire...
5 Replies, 190 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
0 Replies, 47 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,343 Replies, 1,931,558 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,938 Replies, 1,099,504 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,946 Replies, 3,753,549 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,720 Replies, 1,639,828 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
101 Replies, 32,755 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
99 Replies, 17,879 Views
Ntu sociology degree ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 47,370 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
603 Replies, 461,308 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,740 Replies, 804,770 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,116 Replies, 510,228 Views
Getting funded for university
0 Replies, 77 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 7,821 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 1,843 Views
Advice for "Research Coordinator"...
7 Replies, 4,638 Views
is it crazy to give up a 100k P.A... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 26,139 Views
Corporate Banking Analyst
3 Replies, 412 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 94,716 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
721 Replies, 219,677 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,650 Replies, 789,680 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 22,998 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,385 Replies, 569,951 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2