How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 107 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1061 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2020, 07:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post
I meant that before when I first applied I was actually thinking that working there would be nice because I just came home from a vacation there (this was in august after summer).

Since then I've talked to students from there and also searched the web and I've heard that working conditions are not the best.

Now when I got the answer from school, I wasn't really sure anymore.

I might save the money or take an exchange somewhere else.
Thank you for your advice... So it is really that bad?

How long are you a "junior doctor" and have to work so many hours?

Why haven't adopted the way of working as western doctors? It is a rich country and could do that.
To keep healthcare cheap and gain neccessary experience, it is imperative that junior doctors work longer.
Actually 80 is very good. It used to be 160 hours, with calls every other day and no extra pay for the calls last time. Practically stay in hosp every day.
Anyway it is a rite of passage. And conditions are really good now compared to last time.

Reply With Quote
  #1062 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

not 80 hours. more like 90-100+ hours/week for junior doctors, sometimes more
1 call alone (30++ hours) is 2/3 of the number of hours you work in a week
dont come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post
I meant that before when I first applied I was actually thinking that working there would be nice because I just came home from a vacation there (this was in august after summer).

Since then I've talked to students from there and also searched the web and I've heard that working conditions are not the best.

Now when I got the answer from school, I wasn't really sure anymore.

I might save the money or take an exchange somewhere else.
Thank you for your advice... So it is really that bad?

How long are you a "junior doctor" and have to work so many hours?

Why haven't adopted the way of working as western doctors? It is a rich country and could do that.


Reply With Quote
  #1063 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
not 80 hours. more like 90-100+ hours/week for junior doctors, sometimes more
1 call alone (30++ hours) is 2/3 of the number of hours you work in a week
dont come

36 hours if you come at 6am and leave at 6pm the following day.

But now life v good. They go post call at 12pm next day. So just 30hours

But then they also dont really come at 6am. More of come at 7am so 29hours.

Usually they will have at least 3-4 meal breaks of half to 1 hour each. So become 26hours.

Plus they talk cock sing song in MO room so minus 2-3 hours, so 23 hours.

Then on call, they go back call room to catch forty winks, so minus another 2-3hours, so 20hours.

So the 30+ hours is overestimate. My own experience is about 20 working hours per call.
Granted you are physically in hosp for that 30hours but you are only working or about 20 or less.

Reply With Quote
  #1064 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2020, 01:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To keep healthcare cheap and gain neccessary experience, it is imperative that junior doctors work longer.
Actually 80 is very good. It used to be 160 hours, with calls every other day and no extra pay for the calls last time. Practically stay in hosp every day.
Anyway it is a rite of passage. And conditions are really good now compared to last time.
Haha...even if u are dumb, don't assume we are.
160 hours a week equals 23 hours a day.
Reply With Quote
  #1065 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2020, 11:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hello, Anyone knows any info about NUH and night floats? I heard they do night float but dont really know what that means. Is it only residency that they do night float or even HO and MO do night floats. Night float = more chill vs on 36hrs calls?
Reply With Quote
  #1066 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2020, 08:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, Anyone knows any info about NUH and night floats? I heard they do night float but dont really know what that means. Is it only residency that they do night float or even HO and MO do night floats. Night float = more chill vs on 36hrs calls?
HO they scrapped night floats so only MO and only for the medical side.
Honesty i find night floats slightly worse than calls.

Coz ur sleep cycle gets disrupted during night float, then next week go back to daily working hours.


Whereas for call, you sleep cycle dont get disrupted. You just get sleep deprieved for one night that alls. Then next day go back to same sleep cycle.
Reply With Quote

  #1067 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2020, 09:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

my wife is a doctor, who got her master and bachelor degree in VN. IS MRCP good enough/ required for her to work as doctor in Singapore?thanks
Reply With Quote
  #1068 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2020, 11:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
my wife is a doctor, who got her master and bachelor degree in VN. IS MRCP good enough/ required for her to work as doctor in Singapore?thanks
Yes. Mrcp is good enough for her to work in singapore.

I seldom see vietnamese doctors though, as i believe they tend to take french qualification which is less recognised in singapore
Reply With Quote
  #1069 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2020, 08:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Malaysian practicing in SG

I'm a Malaysian who will be working permanently in SG soon. My fiancee is currently a Malaysian HO (in malaysia), having graduated from a private uni there (IMU).

What is the best (highest probability to get employed) pathway for her to practice in SG eventually (several years timeline is acceptable)? Based on our initial research, specialization via MRCP is a good option? Can anyone advise?
Reply With Quote
  #1070 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2020, 04:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post
I meant that before when I first applied I was actually thinking that working there would be nice because I just came home from a vacation there (this was in august after summer).

Since then I've talked to students from there and also searched the web and I've heard that working conditions are not the best.

Now when I got the answer from school, I wasn't really sure anymore.

I might save the money or take an exchange somewhere else.
Thank you for your advice... So it is really that bad?

How long are you a "junior doctor" and have to work so many hours?

Why haven't adopted the way of working as western doctors? It is a rich country and could do that.
Hi I'm the one who told you to come here as a tourist instead.

I am sure you can see what I mean.

Things have improved from what I have heard but the reason why Singapore is "rich" and has a "cost effective excellent healthcare system" is because of the BLATANT EXPLOITATION OF LABOR.

They exploit young doctors who work to the bone for very little money. They also exploit people from 3rd world countries. Pay them pittance for hard labor eg construction, janitorial work, and 24h in home domestic help.

Singapore is rich because it exploits slavery. That's the truth.

If you do want to go to Singapore to work, it is best that you finish all your specialty training so that you can go to Singapore to exploit and not BE EXPLOITED.

I hope you understand what I am saying.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 1,942 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,318 Replies, 5,662,222 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,151 Replies, 2,726,580 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
109 Replies, 28,388 Views
need some info on CNB ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 1,164 Views
Citibank Technology Analyst Program
9 Replies, 3,933 Views
Retiring in Taiwan
4 Replies, 168 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,942 Replies, 1,100,776 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
101 Replies, 18,205 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 33,219 Views
How To Find Rich & Elite In...
1 Replies, 100 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,948 Replies, 3,755,199 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,723 Replies, 1,641,972 Views
Advantages
1 Replies, 853 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
77 Replies, 101,336 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,275 Replies, 1,001,554 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,344 Replies, 1,933,257 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
605 Replies, 461,465 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,654 Replies, 790,263 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
405 Replies, 294,477 Views
Ntu sociology degree ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 47,553 Views
Corporate Banking Analyst
7 Replies, 649 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,821 Replies, 281,993 Views
How much do you need to retire...
6 Replies, 280 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,117 Replies, 510,972 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
469 Replies, 91,226 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,740 Replies, 805,205 Views
Getting funded for university
0 Replies, 110 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 7,897 Views
Advice for "Research Coordinator"...
7 Replies, 4,698 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2