Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   OCBC Young Bankers Programme (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7898-oversea-chinese-banking-corporation-young-bankers-programme.html)

ricecake 17-09-2016 06:59 PM

OCBC Young Bankers Programme

Could someone provide me with some insights about the video interview?

Are you allowed to exceed the time given for you to answer a question? And if so, by how much? I'm afraid if I exceed the time given my answer will be cut off abruptly.

Also, could anyone give me some samples of the video interview questions?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

fusionfishy 18-09-2016 09:43 PM

young banker

you received any other interviews?
ahh i didnt receive for young banker... dk what went wrong

ricecake 19-09-2016 11:28 PM

Nope

Not yet, just wanted to clarify on the video interview because I'm really bad with video interviews.

Don't worry about it! Maybe HR is still processing the applications?

Unregistered 24-09-2016 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricecake (Post 90470)
Could someone provide me with some insights about the video interview?

Are you allowed to exceed the time given for you to answer a question? And if so, by how much? I'm afraid if I exceed the time given my answer will be cut off abruptly.

Also, could anyone give me some samples of the video interview questions?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Even if the system doesn't cut you off, do you really want to take the risk and not follow the basic instruction given? Not gonna reflect well on you if you exceed even if the system does not cut you off

ricecake 25-09-2016 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90677)
Even if the system doesn't cut you off, do you really want to take the risk and not follow the basic instruction given? Not gonna reflect well on you if you exceed even if the system does not cut you off

Not that I don't want to stick to the timing, but say you are in the midst of saying something, and you can't complete your sentence within the time limit given, you would have to continue talking until you can finish what you are saying. Otherwise, whatever you are saying would not make any sense at all to the HR.

ricecake 25-09-2016 07:46 PM

Video interview tips

In any case, if anyone has got any tips on how to tackle video interview questions within the time limit, it would be most appreciated :)

Unregistered 25-09-2016 10:50 PM

hey ricecake u got apply for the DBS GA ops?
did they reply anything yet

did u get any other replies for the video interview?

Unregistered 28-09-2016 09:37 PM

DBS or OCBC programme better? Harder to get in?

Unregistered 28-09-2016 10:26 PM

Just want to advise everyone not to be so hard up on these graduate programmes. These programmes are not elite programmes and you will always be lower than the MAs. You WILL be underpaid and regret your decision after 1-2 years when the programme ends.

Unregistered 28-09-2016 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90759)
Just want to advise everyone not to be so hard up on these graduate programmes. These programmes are not elite programmes and you will always be lower than the MAs. You WILL be underpaid and regret your decision after 1-2 years when the programme ends.

The OCBC YBP may not be elite scheme, but at least they pay 75-80k including bonus & allowance. This is nothing compare to banking elites, but still consider much better than typical fresh grad package already.

Unregistered 29-09-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90762)
The OCBC YBP may not be elite scheme, but at least they pay 75-80k including bonus & allowance. This is nothing compare to banking elites, but still consider much better than typical fresh grad package already.

75 to 80k???? LOLLL Who the hell blew so much smoke up your arse? The guys you met at the career fairs? Sorry nope, it's not that much.

Unregistered 29-09-2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90762)

I hope you are talking about future earnings lol

Unregistered 30-09-2016 11:15 AM

I am now in civil service for 1 year since graduation with 2:1 honors in business administration. If add in bonus and aws currently drawing close to 68k annual.

Thinking of leaving the ministry as the job is not my type and exploring management structured programs in the banking industry as this is my passion. Anyone can advise if the OCBC program is able to offer higher or at least the same as my current drawn?

Unregistered 30-09-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90791)
I am now in civil service for 1 year since graduation with 2:1 honors in business administration. If add in bonus and aws currently drawing close to 68k annual.

Thinking of leaving the ministry as the job is not my type and exploring management structured programs in the banking industry as this is my passion. Anyone can advise if the OCBC program is able to offer higher or at least the same as my current drawn?

Nope, OCBC graduate programs are fixed pay non negotiable. Other banks MA are negotiable, and might take your past work experience into account.

Unregistered 01-10-2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. YBP is not an accelerated program, their monthly basic is about the same as a civil service deg grad without honours and even lower if you include aws & bonus which civil service is definitely much higher.

Most who get in through YBP are average uni grads who fail to make it into foreign banks or MNCs. Unless you have a passion in banking operations, you are better off advancing your career in public sector.

Unregistered 01-10-2016 05:34 PM

ybp

yup i heard ybp is a basic programme, but when does their interview starts?

Unregistered 11-10-2016 07:01 PM

Got a call today. Interview is at 25th Oct

Unregistered 12-10-2016 07:18 AM

Applied on 23rd October, did the video interview 26th October. Still no news on an interview. The application status on my job page has been changed to "Under Consideration" since 10th October.

Sian la, they haven't call me for an interview

Unregistered 12-10-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91115)
Applied on 23rd October, did the video interview 26th October. Still no news on an interview. The application status on my job page has been changed to "Under Consideration" since 10th October.

Sian la, they haven't call me for an interview

Sorry, 23rd Sep and 26th Sep

Unregistered 24-10-2016 12:53 AM

I am going for the interview on 25 too. isit a 1v1 interview or group interview? any idea how the interview is gonna be like?

Unregistered 31-10-2016 11:27 PM

I applied around end August, was invited to video interview a day later. Interviewed first round in early Oct. Gd luck

Unregistered 14-11-2016 09:18 PM

Has anyone heard back after the hr round?

Unregistered 18-11-2016 02:21 PM

Bump. Any news?

Unregistered 19-11-2016 01:21 AM

got called ytd to interview for GCB, final panel

Unregistered 25-11-2016 12:56 PM

Dane End BOULEVARD

Anyone else?

Unregistered 01-12-2016 01:26 AM

Quote:

fresh grad 1 yr experience earning close to $70k hehehe.... csb bro. time to go back cleaning tables at starbucks after logging off ok... hehehe

Unregistered 01-12-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92690)
fresh grad 1 yr experience earning close to $70k hehehe.... csb bro. time to go back cleaning tables at starbucks after logging off ok... hehehe

I'm not sure whether u are trying to troll the above poster or...

Public / civil service can easily offer 70k for a fresh grad with good grades. Some reputable stat boards are already offering 4.5-5k for their first class honors candidates. Of cause, the selection process is tough (only 1:1 or high 2:1 got shortlisted) and you need to have a decent track record of internships and CCAs. With the annual package of a typical civil servant, reaching 70k including all the bonus is not unheard of....

But these comes with all the cons of joining the public sector as a first job too...

Unregistered 02-12-2016 11:18 PM

I heard OCBC may be cutting jobs too. Anyone with inside news? I am being referred for a junior post in OCBC, but don't want to get let go after joining for a while.

Unregistered 04-12-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92696)
I'm not sure whether u are trying to troll the above poster or...

Public / civil service can easily offer 70k for a fresh grad with good grades. Some reputable stat boards are already offering 4.5-5k for their first class honors candidates. Of cause, the selection process is tough (only 1:1 or high 2:1 got shortlisted) and you need to have a decent track record of internships and CCAs. With the annual package of a typical civil servant, reaching 70k including all the bonus is not unheard of....

But these comes with all the cons of joining the public sector as a first job too...

Neither EDB nor MAS offers 4.5 - 5k for first class graduates. More like 4k.

Unregistered 04-12-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92756)
Neither EDB nor MAS offers 4.5 - 5k for first class graduates. More like 4k.

Not really sure about these but I could say for certain that it's true for agencies in the ICT sectors

Unregistered 28-12-2016 02:04 AM

Ocbc ybp

Has anyone gotten any news for panel interviews after the hr round?

Unregistered 31-12-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92690)

Definitely true bro. Got 70K pa as a fch back in 2011. What more now 2016.

Unregistered 01-01-2017 03:27 PM

hi all
pay for this grad program depends on your class of honours (irregardless if local or overseas degree)

1st class - 4.4k
2nd upper - 3.8k
2nd lower - 3.3k
not sure about pay for 3rd class and below

start of program includes 3 weeks training and 1 week overseas training (usually go to KL)

this program is good if you applying to all divisions except ops & tech division (O&T)

the tech division sucks especially... if you come in late and tap in at 9:01am an email will be sent to your supervisor saying you are late.. and guess who does your appraisals?? (your supervisor duh!)

there's also of sai kang to do such as planning for events and even for CNY the O&T in this program have to train and perform lion dance during CNY (like seriously they make fresh grads do lion dance when other divisions just hire external parties to dance)

my advice is this program is decent if you are NOT joining O&T. if you are applying to O&T i urge you to reconsider and would advice you apply to other banks which have similar pay/programs but dont have so much non-value adding sai kang to do.

however understand that job market now not so good... so if really no choice then coming here is better than not having a job.

anyway have been here in the tech dept for 2 years and am really sick of this place..constantly reorg.. tons of bureaucratic red tape.. always coming back on weekends to deal with issues etc etc
yesterday was my last day officially with the bank. am saying all this so that at least future grads will have all this information before deciding to join O&T, and hopefully not make the same mistake i did. for those applying to non-O&T should be fine and program is same as other banks

Unregistered 01-01-2017 05:47 PM

that's the pay scheme 2 years ago..

Unregistered 01-01-2017 05:47 PM

what is the 1st year increment??

Unregistered 05-01-2017 03:26 PM

All the O&T in tampine work very late one. Everytime the management said nice things like staff welfare, worklife balance. But all is rubbish. Ppl there work till late nights, even past midnight. Actually is it against labour laws that they work beyond the number of overtime in a day?

Unregistered 05-01-2017 11:00 PM

And I have not gone home since I joined

Unregistered 05-01-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 93538)
All the O&T in tampine work very late one. Everytime the management said nice things like staff welfare, worklife balance. But all is rubbish. Ppl there work till late nights, even past midnight. Actually is it against labour laws that they work beyond the number of overtime in a day?

You're covered by the part of the Employment Act that deals with number of hours of work, overtime pay and rest days only if you are a manual labourer or a non-manual labourer earning < $2.5k per month.

If you're just a generic white collar worker, suck it up.

Also, I never understood this thing about paying people differently according to their class of honours, especially in the private sector.

Its a dumb practice with no basis in reality or economic sense. Only the thumb twiddling bureaucrats in the public sector would practice this kind of thing.

Unregistered 06-01-2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 93432)
hi all
pay for this grad program depends on your class of honours (irregardless if local or overseas degree)

1st class - 4.4k
2nd upper - 3.8k
2nd lower - 3.3k
not sure about pay for 3rd class and below

start of program includes 3 weeks training and 1 week overseas training (usually go to KL)

this program is good if you applying to all divisions except ops & tech division (O&T)

the tech division sucks especially... if you come in late and tap in at 9:01am an email will be sent to your supervisor saying you are late.. and guess who does your appraisals?? (your supervisor duh!)

there's also of sai kang to do such as planning for events and even for CNY the O&T in this program have to train and perform lion dance during CNY (like seriously they make fresh grads do lion dance when other divisions just hire external parties to dance)

my advice is this program is decent if you are NOT joining O&T. if you are applying to O&T i urge you to reconsider and would advice you apply to other banks which have similar pay/programs but dont have so much non-value adding sai kang to do.

however understand that job market now not so good... so if really no choice then coming here is better than not having a job.

anyway have been here in the tech dept for 2 years and am really sick of this place..constantly reorg.. tons of bureaucratic red tape.. always coming back on weekends to deal with issues etc etc
yesterday was my last day officially with the bank. am saying all this so that at least future grads will have all this information before deciding to join O&T, and hopefully not make the same mistake i did. for those applying to non-O&T should be fine and program is same as other banks

is the attrition rate high for peers in the same programme?

Unregistered 08-01-2017 03:10 PM

Are there anyone on this programme with Group Finance or has applied to this division as well?