Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 14-12-2022, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Erm I guess u didn’t know that Suss Law Jd is a part time program which means u are able to pay the bills and not be broke like those from the other schools? As far as am concern, NUS is the oldest and most reputable school no doubt, but that’s because it’s “old” and looking at how smu started from scratch, am confident that the government will build Suss law to the best of its potential. In terms of ranking, I really believe that smu and suss is really not that far off internationally. If anyone bothers to check lol.
Totally inaccurate assumptions. Not to diss on SUSS lah, I know it's meant to fulfill a specific purpose.

NUS, SMU as "old line" unis generally aren't reputable merely because they are "old". Age is no way a determining factor, otherwise SMU would've taken 50 years to catch up with NUS in repute, which is clearly not the case.

It's the cachet of intellectual concentration, research output, repute of the academic body etc.

Let's concentrate only on law as a discipline (i.e. ignore business, accounting, econs, computing).

SMU has done a good job attracting lots of high quality academics in a very short span of time and contributing to industry conversations and CLE programmes (SMU Law Academy), various think tanks and specialized research centres and cutting edge areas of law, e.g. data governance and AI and law, dispute reso, computational law.

SUSS was set up purely to be a vocational teaching law school. While there will be ancillary or sporadic research output from its faculty for sure (as a byproduct of being a legal academic), there is no way it will attract top notch intellectual capital to output the kinds of research necessary to propel it to a top tier law school.

As a vocational law school, SUSS merely has to be "good enough", and "good enough" means teaching its students sufficiently rigorously to qualify as lawyers in Singapore.

But to pretend that SMU and SUSS are even on the same trajectory as organizations, or have the same objectives as higher education/tertiary institutes, is widely off the mark. Your starting premise is already erroneous.

Old 14-12-2022, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

You are right. SmU is the best law school in singapore.

Old 14-12-2022, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Totally inaccurate assumptions. Not to diss on SUSS lah, I know it's meant to fulfill a specific purpose.

NUS, SMU as "old line" unis generally aren't reputable merely because they are "old". Age is no way a determining factor, otherwise SMU would've taken 50 years to catch up with NUS in repute, which is clearly not the case.

It's the cachet of intellectual concentration, research output, repute of the academic body etc.

Let's concentrate only on law as a discipline (i.e. ignore business, accounting, econs, computing).

SMU has done a good job attracting lots of high quality academics in a very short span of time and contributing to industry conversations and CLE programmes (SMU Law Academy), various think tanks and specialized research centres and cutting edge areas of law, e.g. data governance and AI and law, dispute reso, computational law.

SUSS was set up purely to be a vocational teaching law school. While there will be ancillary or sporadic research output from its faculty for sure (as a byproduct of being a legal academic), there is no way it will attract top notch intellectual capital to output the kinds of research necessary to propel it to a top tier law school.

As a vocational law school, SUSS merely has to be "good enough", and "good enough" means teaching its students sufficiently rigorously to qualify as lawyers in Singapore.

But to pretend that SMU and SUSS are even on the same trajectory as organizations, or have the same objectives as higher education/tertiary institutes, is widely off the mark. Your starting premise is already erroneous.

s://m..com/watch?v=_ev9Hvp0wIo

s://amp.theguardian.com/education/2022/apr/20/degree-grade-matters-more-than-university-reputation-report-finds

s://.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/questions-answers/better-grades-better-reputation-important-college/

Old 14-12-2022, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

You gotta love Singaporeans’ ability to trap themselves in a well that is Singapore. All these pissing contest about how great NUS or SMU is and the all hail local unis propaganda when your supposed low ranking UK / US / AUS law grads are swimming in the intl firms.

Even for those that aren’t working in intl firms, they sure as hell are being treated better in Manchester / Sydney / whenever they choose plant themselves with their overseas LLB, as compared to the most prestigious b4 firms here in Singapore.

I guess people shouldn’t rain on your parade, since that’s all you guys have to go on about.
Old 14-12-2022, 08:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You gotta love Singaporeans’ ability to trap themselves in a well that is Singapore. All these pissing contest about how great NUS or SMU is and the all hail local unis propaganda when your supposed low ranking UK / US / AUS law grads are swimming in the intl firms.

Even for those that aren’t working in intl firms, they sure as hell are being treated better in Manchester / Sydney / whenever they choose plant themselves with their overseas LLB, as compared to the most prestigious b4 firms here in Singapore.

I guess people shouldn’t rain on your parade, since that’s all you guys have to go on about.
I'm in an international firm and studied in NUS bro. Worked my way up from mid tier somemore. In spite of not coming from some angmor university and not having a fake sarong party girl accent acquired after 3 years overseas. What does that make me?
Old 14-12-2022, 09:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm in an international firm and studied in NUS bro. Worked my way up from mid tier somemore. In spite of not coming from some angmor university and not having a fake sarong party girl accent acquired after 3 years overseas. What does that make me?
Still inferior to Clarence Lun.

Old 14-12-2022, 09:09 PM
Unregistered

Soon to be made irrelevant if you have time to come here and post nonsense rather than work hard.

Quote:
Old 14-12-2022, 09:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You literally just proved my point, bro. You graduated from the almighty NUS law school, worked your way hard up the corporate ladder from a mid tier firm, into an intl firm. Meanwhile the schmuck that parties every weekend and the fake sarong party girl landed the same job as you, right out of law school. And their law school aren’t even ranked in the Times.

Buddy I suggest you brush up your logical reasoning because you just shot yourself in the foot. Can’t imagine how you landed a stint there but I guess longevity in law is something applaudable.
Old 14-12-2022, 10:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You literally just proved my point, bro. You graduated from the almighty NUS law school, worked your way hard up the corporate ladder from a mid tier firm, into an intl firm. Meanwhile the schmuck that parties every weekend and the fake sarong party girl landed the same job as you, right out of law school. And their law school aren’t even ranked in the Times.

Buddy I suggest you brush up your logical reasoning because you just shot yourself in the foot. Can’t imagine how you landed a stint there but I guess longevity in law is something applaudable.
I'm asking what does that make me. I'm not claiming that I'm better or worse than others or whatnot. Why do you sound so insecure? Are you even in an intl firm or even a Big 4 bro?
Old 14-12-2022, 10:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm asking what does that make me. I'm not claiming that I'm better or worse than others or whatnot. Why do you sound so insecure? Are you even in an intl firm or even a Big 4 bro?
“I’m in an intl firm…”, “Worked my way up from…”, “In spite of not coming from…”, “fake sarong party girl accent…”

Saying that you’re not claiming that you’re better or worse than others is a pathetic attempt at best to pass off the post as a neutral one. At least own your stance, with the protection of anonymity available to you? Do you try to pass off your position when getting challenged elsewhere too?

Anyways, to answer your burning question, I guess that makes you a proud lawyer at an intl firm.