Lawyer Salary - Page 1662 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 27-04-2022, 06:15 AM
Unregistered

“Big 5” should always be in inverted commas for obvious reasons. Thanks.

Old 27-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
“Big 5” should always be in inverted commas for obvious reasons. Thanks.
Dentons ish the best hokay. We got 20000 lawyers in 200 offices!! how many offices do the B4 have??

OP ignore the trolls. If u wan to do top top tier work, Dentons ish the obv choice. Would u rather rub shoulders with Mongolian lawyers 2day n work wif Colombian lawyers 2moro, or slave away in B4 working for Temasick glc clients?

Old 27-04-2022, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
i disagree. why deprive them of chance to practise?
i mean lawyers are not known to be the most honest profession.

By admitting these six new lawyers to the bar, the law profession mediocre integrity will be truly and correctly reflected. This benefits the public actually. As the public is now reminded of the mediocre integrity, and may exercise due diligence.
This needs to be upvoted. Mods please add a 'like' button like reddit.

Old 27-04-2022, 11:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
There is also hearsay that there are many, many more students who have been caught for cheating - it seems that just that 11 applications have been received by the AGC. No one seems to mentioned this at all in the any of the news posts.

Also, after doing some quick research, SILE is actually run by the AGC, Law Society and all of the big law firms in Singapore, who are directors of the SILE. In fact, the AG is the chairman of the SILE. This would imply that, in substance , all the firms, AGC and LawSoc may have been aware of this incident earlier, and had already made a decision on the matter. As such, I see some inconsistencies with how the matter has been dealt with by the relevant authorities, and it would be fair to say that a proportionate decision is reached balancing both the interests of the general public, legal profession and the cheaters.

At this point, those who have retaken the exams and are not pending application will definitely not dare to apply for admission anymore. In substance, you will never see any of these people in legal practice again, whether they have been caught or not.
I highly doubt your last statement.

Hearsay the decision to let the cheaters off lightly this time is because they have well-connected parents in elite circles, and they will restart their legal careers on a clean slate with many being impressed with your same mistaken assumption. Only in Singapore can the elites get away with such career ending transgressions.
Old 27-04-2022, 11:46 AM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:

Hearsay the decision to let the cheaters off lightly this time is because they have well-connected parents in elite circles, and they will restart their legal careers on a clean slate with many being impressed with your same mistaken assumption. Only in Singapore can the elites get away with such career ending transgressions.
Moral of the story - dont anyhow reincarnate. Make sure you swim to the right egg ya
Old 27-04-2022, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

They would be really dumb to continue their admission application now, their names are already out PLUS admission is not even guaranteed after half a year. The writing is already on the wall that they must still show "fit and proper character" magically in 6 or 12 months or wtv.

Unless their father owns a law firm or something, there is no way that they will "restart on a clean slate". Literally everyone knows their names by now. Imagine in a litigation suit, the other firm just needs to tell their clients that they were a cheater, so I honestly doubt they will get far in their legal career. After thinking about this as a whole, perhaps the judge was pretty deliberate with this decision to maybe allow the 6 to go and find other careers.

If I were them, I would just gtfo and find other career options. At least no one will have any inkling of their names unless the seal on the names is appealed or something. It's a second chance, framed in a different way.

Old 27-04-2022, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm with A&G M&A! I've been considering changing because I've been told the exit options suck compared to like funds where its possible to lateral out faster and easier to get into intl firms too. M&A is supposedly too competitive?
Uhh yeah about that, A&G M&A has probably the best exit options for corporate-related work out of all the Big 4 (and some say Batam). Even if you were to switch practice areas (which is quite common), the training at A&G M&A will serve you well, and their reputation will also help a lot.

But more importantly, if you managed to get a TC at A&G M&A and are worrying about the industry being too competitive, that raises more questions - How did you even snag a TC there if you weren’t competitive in the first place? You surely have to back yourself more.

TLDR: If you managed to secure a TC at A&G M&A, you shouldn’t need to worry about exit options. And if you do, that in itself is worrying.
Old 27-04-2022, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Uhh yeah about that, A&G M&A has probably the best exit options for corporate-related work out of all the Big 4 (and some say Batam). Even if you were to switch practice areas (which is quite common), the training at A&G M&A will serve you well, and their reputation will also help a lot.

But more importantly, if you managed to get a TC at A&G M&A and are worrying about the industry being too competitive, that raises more questions - How did you even snag a TC there if you weren’t competitive in the first place? You surely have to back yourself more.

TLDR: If you managed to secure a TC at A&G M&A, you shouldn’t need to worry about exit options. And if you do, that in itself is worrying.
It's not difficult to get a place in A&G M&A. For now, the trend for top students from local Unis is still to go into the top litigation teams / academia/ JLC. The local M&A teams are usually full of strong second uppers (which form like 40% of the cohort) but it's not as cut-throat as you make it seem.
Old 27-04-2022, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
They would be really dumb to continue their admission application now, their names are already out PLUS admission is not even guaranteed after half a year. The writing is already on the wall that they must still show "fit and proper character" magically in 6 or 12 months or wtv.

Unless their father owns a law firm or something, there is no way that they will "restart on a clean slate". Literally everyone knows their names by now. Imagine in a litigation suit, the other firm just needs to tell their clients that they were a cheater, so I honestly doubt they will get far in their legal career. After thinking about this as a whole, perhaps the judge was pretty deliberate with this decision to maybe allow the 6 to go and find other careers.

If I were them, I would just gtfo and find other career options. At least no one will have any inkling of their names unless the seal on the names is appealed or something. It's a second chance, framed in a different way.
Wat are their names?
Which careers welcome dishonest bar exam cheats?
Old 27-04-2022, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

[2022] SGHC 93

1 The tremendous public interest in the applicants’ identities seems to have been borne by a mix of curiosity, indignation, as well as sympathy. But strong sentiments may sometimes interfere with the proper understanding of the idea of second chances. We know that there are different kinds of people where second chances are concerned — those who believe in them, and those who don't. And there are those who need them, and those who give them. And in between, there is a vast stretch in which we can debate to no end as to who is deserving and who is not.

2 Coming to this instance — sometimes, redemption cannot be claimed behind the mask of anonymity, but by baring one's face and looking everyone in the eye, to see which kind of persons one confronts. Facing them in this way, one develops the character of fortitude that the path forward requires. Sometimes one might see an unforgiving face, but, I believe, more often than not, it will be a face that says, “Get up and try again; you can get it right”.

3 Initially I believed that redacting the names of the applicants would let them to go about the process of recovery quietly and uneventfully, but I am now of the view that it is better to face the publicity than to hide from it. For these, and the reasons advanced by Mr Jeyendran and counsel’s submissions, I am allowing the AG’s application to rescind the redaction and sealing orders.

4 It leaves me to make one more point. Having concluded its responsibilities thus far, the Law Society has a new responsibility of helping the applicants involved in this episode. And I am sure there are many members of the Law Society who are ready to lend a hand.