Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 09-03-2022, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah half of the office from CBd to Paya Lebar, then the next half move to cbd like one happy fam. That says a lot
I am the op. *next half move from cbd to Paya Lebar

Old 09-03-2022, 08:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually hor, do clients really care if u r from Oxbridge? U mean when clients have NUS grad and Oxbridge grad pitching, they will choose the latter?

Or the Oxbridge cert just an ego booster?
Big businesses don't really care, they care about what firm you are in, but the firms self-select based on achievement and alma mater. If you got oxbridge Undergrad or BCL/LLM, more likely the better firms will choose you, and therefore more likely you are exposed to bigger cases.

It's a self-selecting and circular thing. Between two people with GPA that are the same and extracurricular same, might as well choose the guy with the better school.

There are of course cases of delisted uni or SG uni in MC or white shoe (in fact I would say quite a few), but it's harder to make the jump.

Ofc, if you good enough to jump to MC or white shoe without oxbridge, then it doesn't matter, but it's easier to go MC or white shoe with that stupid BCL/LLM than without.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Big businesses don't really care, they care about what firm you are in, but the firms self-select based on achievement and alma mater. If you got oxbridge Undergrad or BCL/LLM, more likely the better firms will choose you, and therefore more likely you are exposed to bigger cases.

It's a self-selecting and circular thing. Between two people with GPA that are the same and extracurricular same, might as well choose the guy with the better school.

There are of course cases of delisted uni or SG uni in MC or white shoe (in fact I would say quite a few), but it's harder to make the jump.

Ofc, if you good enough to jump to MC or white shoe without oxbridge, then it doesn't matter, but it's easier to go MC or white shoe with that stupid BCL/LLM than without.
Very helpful post

Old 09-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Yup so just git gud and network. Study another year for what.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:32 PM
Unregistered

Default Part B results

Part B results just came out yesterday, kinda shocked that I did not pass one of the module. Kinda sad actually but I suspect because I didn’t finish one of the question. I’m going to take supplementary exam for that in April which hopefully I’ll pass.

Newbie here so just wanna understand how failing one module will reflect on me? Does it significantly diminish my chances of TC conversion? Is there any good way to tell the firm about it? Is it common for people to fail one mod?

Thanks guys!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 09-03-2022, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Part B results just came out yesterday, kinda shocked that I did not pass one of the module. Kinda sad actually but I suspect because I didn’t finish one of the question. I’m going to take supplementary exam for that in April which hopefully I’ll pass.

Newbie here so just wanna understand how failing one module will reflect on me? Does it significantly diminish my chances of TC conversion? Is there any good way to tell the firm about it? Is it common for people to fail one mod?

Thanks guys!
In the past when there was a glut, failing part b means no retention.
But now with shortage, might be a different story

Old 09-03-2022, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks guys!
Which module? What is the failure rate this year?
Old 09-03-2022, 11:56 PM
Unregistered

Default Toxic behaviour

Medium sized law firm Assoc at the junior level.

I have learnt that a senior 1-2 years my senior (<3 PQE) has been saboing my Trainee for dealing in matters.

Whenever Trainee tries to assist, Senior has been cooking up stories to interfere.

I take a different approach. I would like to see Trainee excel and I hope Trainee will be retained.

Trainee produces fantastic work, but this Senior has been making things difficult, and myself included in things that involve us. I think the Senior sees Trainee as a threat, and wants to thumb Trainee down.

Partners are blissfully unaware. In fact, top down management has effectively encouraged unhealthy competition amongst the Assocs.

How can I help Trainee and toward Trainee's prospects of retention.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Medium sized law firm Assoc at the junior level.

I have learnt that a senior 1-2 years my senior (<3 PQE) has been saboing my Trainee for dealing in matters.

Whenever Trainee tries to assist, Senior has been cooking up stories to interfere.

I take a different approach. I would like to see Trainee excel and I hope Trainee will be retained.

Trainee produces fantastic work, but this Senior has been making things difficult, and myself included in things that involve us. I think the Senior sees Trainee as a threat, and wants to thumb Trainee down.

Partners are blissfully unaware. In fact, top down management has effectively encouraged unhealthy competition amongst the Assocs.

How can I help Trainee and toward Trainee's prospects of retention.
You can’t. The senior is selling his/her soul in the process.
The only way is exit, don’t let such toxic culture mess up your sense of right from wrong.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thanks guys!
Did you fail crim? They did the fail one question fail whole paper nonsense starting from last year.

I think the failure rate of at least 1 mod at first-go is around 30+%. From anectodal evidence, i.e. asking like 50 pax for my year, around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 ish failed 1 mod. Last year it was mostly centered around crim failure.

However, the retest generally they try to pass everyone for part B, so the overall pass rate for part b is 99% for the past few years.

Failing a mod is never ideal, but the effect generally depends on which firm you are in, and more imptly whether boss likes you. If you already got a target on your back for bad work, boss can use this as excuse to let you go. Otherwise, unless you are in highly competitive firms, it is not a death sentence. Especially with the increasing shortage of lawyers.

Suck it up and tell the firm and hope for your boss's understanding. You will need time to prep for the exam, so you will need to maybe have 1 week or so break from TC. You can also try to sweep the thing entirely under the rug, but it's quite difficult since you still need to work in that case.

For what it's worth, some of the better students I knew (i.e. super good grades) failed one mod, whereas some of the bottom-tier students passed all at one shot, so there's also a bit of luck involved, along with whether you prepped correctly and whether you worked efficiently.