Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 25-01-2022, 03:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
All the while delisted uni also need 3 A Level As, with some requiring one UK A*.
33 IB oso can

Old 25-01-2022, 08:25 AM
Unregistered

All the talks about associate pay and work hours but I don’t see anyone talking about the training phase? Wouldn’t that be a barrier for aspiring lawyers and the retention of talent? Correct me if I’m wrong, the pay for trainees are the same as it were 10-15 years ago. There are even people not paying trainees. Why isn’t this an issue to be addressed? Surely being paid 10 cents on the dollar, while being worked equally hard, will affect one’s mindset in staying in the industry.

Old 25-01-2022, 09:58 AM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
All the talks about associate pay and work hours but I don’t see anyone talking about the training phase? Wouldn’t that be a barrier for aspiring lawyers and the retention of talent? Correct me if I’m wrong, the pay for trainees are the same as it were 10-15 years ago. There are even people not paying trainees. Why isn’t this an issue to be addressed? Surely being paid 10 cents on the dollar, while being worked equally hard, will affect one’s mindset in staying in the industry.
Actually all the talks about pay and work hours. I would like to share that the legal industry is 1 of the very few industries that has little age discrimination (ageism) issue. In essence, old is gold in the legal industry and hence you are well-regarded esp when you have 15+, 20+ years old experience in certain areas of law. Not forgetting that the legal industry in relatively tardy when it comes to digital transformation and many other advancement. That means lawyers can stick to their old dog skills and no need much upgrade. PS: The founder of my previous law firm doesn't even know how to use Whatsapp and needs his staff to type for him - he's in his 60s btw. And my current partner has even templated her strategy, argument for liti used for the past 10 years

In legal --> old is gold
In many other industries, old is mold. You try to seek a job in your 50s and 99.99% chance you will have doors slammed in your face. You are old, useless, intractable and probably slow.

So yes, while the pay is low, the trajectory is longer than others. Graduates nowadays just wanna easy way out and think that money grows on trees.

Old 25-01-2022, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Delisted schools flooding the market so they could afford to underpay the people who actually studied law
Old 25-01-2022, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually all the talks about pay and work hours. I would like to share that the legal industry is 1 of the very few industries that has little age discrimination (ageism) issue. In essence, old is gold in the legal industry and hence you are well-regarded esp when you have 15+, 20+ years old experience in certain areas of law. Not forgetting that the legal industry in relatively tardy when it comes to digital transformation and many other advancement. That means lawyers can stick to their old dog skills and no need much upgrade. PS: The founder of my previous law firm doesn't even know how to use Whatsapp and needs his staff to type for him - he's in his 60s btw. And my current partner has even templated her strategy, argument for liti used for the past 10 years

In legal --> old is gold
In many other industries, old is mold. You try to seek a job in your 50s and 99.99% chance you will have doors slammed in your face. You are old, useless, intractable and probably slow.

So yes, while the pay is low, the trajectory is longer than others. Graduates nowadays just wanna easy way out and think that money grows on trees.
Super well-written. This should be a commentary
Old 25-01-2022, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
my current partner has even templated her strategy, argument for liti used for the past 10 years

In legal --> old is gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Super well-written. This should be a commentary
You love to see it

Old 25-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

In legal --> old is gold

You see that one(1) 60 year old balding lawyer who doesn't know how to use whatsapp.
But you don't see five (5) of his or her equally old,equally clueless at tech 60 year old nus law school classmates who have been ejected from the profession through attrition. Likely running some bakery or restaurant somewhere or cleaning some toilets
Old 25-01-2022, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Angry

Quote:
You see that one(1) 60 year old balding lawyer who doesn't know how to use whatsapp.
But you don't see five (5) of his or her equally old,equally clueless at tech 60 year old nus law school classmates who have been ejected from the profession through attrition. Likely running some bakery or restaurant somewhere or cleaning some toilets
I think what the other post means was that the person, if willing to stay in the legal industry, should and can have a longer career path than those in other industries.

So for those who aren't lawyers through attrition, we have to see if (s)he willingly gives up law for other jobs. He or she, if willing to stay in law, can go to other smaller firms or start a law firm in chinatown. Fortis Law founder said that many of his solo practitioners friend in Chinatown earn 15k-20k per month (but still need to do networking, ads and linkedin marketing to get clients). But hey, all these for 15k - 20k. You dont wanna do ads, network and still expect 15k/month salary? aiyoooo
Old 25-01-2022, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

In legal --> old is gold

Totally agreeee
Old 25-01-2022, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

Wink

Quote:

In legal --> old is gold

Old is gold isit? These are dinosaurs that grew up in a time where a flat is a few thousand dollars, and a bowl of noodles are a few cents.

These are the same people that may be collecting millions as an EP, while you are moaning that don't wanna pay you for TC.

In a time where ppl on scholarship get paid while studying, get free uni and get a well paying civil service job,

you wonder why your parents pay $$ for your uni, for the privilege to do 1-2yr TC for free and then not get retained.

It's better to get a younger boss who understands inflation