Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 22-10-2021, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Exactly.

I really hate how these salary levels have been normalized, considering the amount of DIRECT profit junior associates bring into the firm. It's really practically slave labor. And the reasoning which partners use "we have to spend time training and reviewing their work" - isn't that time all billed to the client too? If a junior associate spends 10 hours doing a piece of work and the partner spends 2 hours reviewing, that 12 hours goes straight into the invoice.
Go and set up your own firm after 3 years in practice then.

Old 22-10-2021, 11:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Go and set up your own firm after 3 years in practice then.
Not happy quit la still stay there take income n bitch no one owe u a bloody living

Old 22-10-2021, 12:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Who is C who is YL? What is going on?

heard thr wuz a confidentiality fk up by C

Old 22-10-2021, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What happened to C? Nothing happened with YL
Heard thr wuz a confidentiality fk up by C
Old 22-10-2021, 02:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
except for the bits about sex etc if you're upset that your boss shouted/swore at you then maybe you shouldn't bother with working
It’s people like you who subscribe to a wage-slave mentality (which incidentally forms a huge majority amongst the Asian communities) that permits these sort of behaviour from employers through your inaction.

Until people wake up and understand that the ideal where ‘oh don’t like don’t work la the employer owes you nothing. They can always find someone else’ is not fair and just, this kind of abuse from employer to employee will continue.

As much as the employers are providing work and salary for us, they too are profiting at a larger margin. Don’t continue being fooled like the generation above us. They do not have the benefit of higher education and resources available in abundance like our generation, hence the wage slave mentality is their haven and way to survive.
Old 22-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It’s people like you who subscribe to a wage-slave mentality (which incidentally forms a huge majority amongst the Asian communities) that permits these sort of behaviour from employers through your inaction.

Until people wake up and understand that the ideal where ‘oh don’t like don’t work la the employer owes you nothing. They can always find someone else’ is not fair and just, this kind of abuse from employer to employee will continue.

As much as the employers are providing work and salary for us, they too are profiting at a larger margin. Don’t continue being fooled like the generation above us. They do not have the benefit of higher education and resources available in abundance like our generation, hence the wage slave mentality is their haven and way to survive.
Set up your own firm and hire the woke generation pls

Old 22-10-2021, 04:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

When I started out in practice at *** Law, I had a colleague one year my junior. She had it bad from the partner that we both worked for. The partner wasn't a very pleasant person to begin with. But I had (and I like to think I still do have) great tolerance for all kinds of personalities. NS and signing on for a bit (for some of the money for my LLB) taught me a lot about dealing with difficult people.

But back to my colleague. She swore that one day, when she ran her own practice, she would be different. She would be kinder. She wouldn't swear at all. She wouldn't call people at 10pm, or ask them to do things over the weekend.

Eventually (and naturally), she left *** Law. I left not long after, and went in-house.

After some time, I had the opportunity to instruct her on some litigation matters for the company I worked for at the time. We had a great time catching up and swapping stories.

And I watched how she ran her firm. It was a small office in Tanjong Pagar - small enough to throw a full ring binder from door to window.

It was like the partner from *** Law had come back to life (he had passed away some years ago by that time), albeit in female form. Right down to the tone of voice and the choice of profanities. I had not heard such words since I was an associate at *** Law.

My point is that you and others that hold such noble ideals can pontificate at length on how things have to change, blah blah blah.

You won't understand until you become the business owners yourselves. I'm not saying that such behaviour is right, or justifiable in any way. But it's easy enough to say that such behaviour is wrong, and that the next generation has to change, etc.

Very, very few people out there are fundamentally good/nice people. And it's sad/ironic that in my (limited) experience, the ones who bitch about it the most are, in turn, the most likely to dish it out.

We all want to work for nice/humane people. We don't seem to extend this expectation to ourselves, and we thus fail to realise that hardly anyone out there, ourselves included, is nice/humane.
Old 22-10-2021, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

Yes that makes it ok to be abusive to employees.
Old 22-10-2021, 06:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Lol this is the typical local sinkie mid size pay lah. Can't even round up to 5k for NQ. Seriously who would wanna join if they had a chance to join other better firms or big 4. Hope our market liberalises and drive all these sinking ship mid size firms out of business
Some mid firm is quite chill lah so is not too bad. but alot of slave drivers that one is bohua

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 22-10-2021, 08:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Does anyone not think the NOC drama hits home so hard? Reading the anecdotes from the NOC staffs is like reading a snapshot of my life

Break the cycle
I think you are comparing apples and pears here. People sign up to join NOC thinking that life as influencers will be fun, not knowing that working hours can be that long. Most of us went into the legal industry knowing what we are signing up for... so we reap what we sow - sort of. Nonetheless, any forms of corporate bullying, toxic bosses, and/or harassment should not be tolerated.