Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 28-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i mean if u can join an int'l firm then of cos better la. the majority of people can't so suck thumb lor

Aiya anw you chose this path. lawyering is far from the best job in terms of effort-to-reward ratio, everybody knows that. u can hv a much better or more lucrative life doing other things

some jobs dont need to put in that many hours but you need to compete in other ways, like sucking up to the right ppl, wayanging playing office politics and tai-ching away work

other jobs like sales, you can get by if you're a smooth talker and know how to schoomze with various ppl. best industries r those u can do jack all and full of not so bright chiobus in the same industry u can trick into getting urself laid

at the junior level, law demands a certain kind of personality that requires u to suck it up or quit, and hang around highly strung plain-Jane nerdy girls to boot
100% truth. You hit a chord there.

It's a **** job

Old 28-07-2021, 11:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Look at firms like Milbank, MoFo etc
I don’t see lawyers from b4 ending up there
L&W has quite a few from A&G (ie SG’s only elite corp firm). In other news they offer UK training contract with 3 seats in SG and one in London - no need to get SG qualified (:

Old 29-07-2021, 03:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
L&W has quite a few from A&G (ie SG’s only elite corp firm). In other news they offer UK training contract with 3 seats in SG and one in London - no need to get SG qualified (:
Heard it only offers us rates after 3 years on the job (unless u lateral from a peer firm - which no sg firm is) and its "competitive rates" for those 3 years

Old 29-07-2021, 11:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
It’s fine if you’re willing to suck up the shittier pay, same long working hours, for the prospect of making the leap to an international firm a couple of years post-qualification, get a decent in-house job, or the slim chance of making partner.
Jaded. How many of you feel that Singapore has declined significantly over the last decade? Stagnant pay not keeping up with inflation (except for politicians), rising GST tax and threat of future income taxes raises, rising hdb prices, cecas threatening to take our professional jobs, murderous crazy teens running amok in our midst, and such.

If you ask me ten years ago if I could see Singapore in such a sad state, I would have laughed in your face. Or do we just pop a xanax and see everything through rose-tinted glasses as we were taught in schools to do?
Old 29-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It should be noted that at the junior level for corp, A&G and WongP corp provide good training which is superior to BMWL. They have an established system for training fresh graduates, although for corp one should always take an opportunity from CC if it arises. For litigation, for training purposes it would highly depend on the team you are assigned to. Davinder Singh chambers under DS himself > random litigator under Big 4/intl firm.
I’d say A&G > WongP clearly. Also, the “training” in those firms isn’t as structured as they sell it to be - most of the training I received was really just baptism by fire really.
Old 29-07-2021, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Heard it only offers us rates after 3 years on the job (unless u lateral from a peer firm - which no sg firm is) and its "competitive rates" for those 3 years
wat abt sidley austin and gunderson

Old 29-07-2021, 05:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Jaded. How many of you feel that Singapore has declined significantly over the last decade? Stagnant pay not keeping up with inflation (except for politicians), rising GST tax and threat of future income taxes raises, rising hdb prices, cecas threatening to take our professional jobs, murderous crazy teens running amok in our midst, and such.

If you ask me ten years ago if I could see Singapore in such a sad state, I would have laughed in your face. Or do we just pop a xanax and see everything through rose-tinted glasses as we were taught in schools to do?
Word. Housing prices moon while salaries stay flat, and we are the snowflakes. Boomers gotta boom.
Old 29-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
wat abt sidley austin and gunderson
Interested to know about Sidley too since they are so elite in the US. I heard GD pays straight up US rates but can’t tell how far they dock your class year, eg sg 2019 ~ us class of 2020 or 2021 or more.
Old 29-07-2021, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Seeing how the average Singaporean citizen doesn't benefit from CECA, I dare say that the ceca lawyers are better than Singaporean lawyers.

Harvard/Yale JDs/Oxbridge > India law schools >>> NUS/SMU LLB

Ironically the industry that needs replacement by CECA professionals the most given the aforementioned example is the one currently still protected from the ceca onslaught affecting other industries.
Old 29-07-2021, 08:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It should be noted that at the junior level for corp, A&G and WongP corp provide good training which is superior to BMWL. They have an established system for training fresh graduates, although for corp one should always take an opportunity from CC if it arises. For litigation, for training purposes it would highly depend on the team you are assigned to. Davinder Singh chambers under DS himself > random litigator under Big 4/intl firm.
I beg to differ. Bmwl mna training is great.