Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 12-06-2021, 03:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For people like you dealing with low value commoditized crap work, sure I agree you should be paid peanuts. For the rest of us literally billing 3 or 4 times our current salaries in reputable firms and bringing in phat stacks for our firms, we're definitely way underpaid.
lmao anyone who's ever taxed a b4 bill of costs has to be dying with laughter from this comment

you're scrolling thru manga or ig at 2am for $250/hr to the client, the grab food rider bringing you your acai bowl deservedly makes more than you and better yet didnt have to waste 4yrs of his life and quarter mill of daddy's money to get white girl herpes and some piece of paper you proudly call an llb (hons)

Old 12-06-2021, 03:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you saying you need a LLB specifically to be able to do the law work in the firm?
You serious??
You serious?? Your bar qualifications fake? Bro I sincerely hope you can learn how to value yourself man that 2k job at tan ah kow LLP ain’t it. Then again, if you are able to type this string of words with such gusto and arrogance, maybe you do deserve the 2k job with TAK LLP. Congrats!

Old 12-06-2021, 04:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You serious?? Your bar qualifications fake? Bro I sincerely hope you can learn how to value yourself man that 2k job at tan ah kow LLP ain’t it. Then again, if you are able to type this string of words with such gusto and arrogance, maybe you do deserve the 2k job with TAK LLP. Congrats!
All these posters making reference to Milbank and then worse, using some statistics from the UK, or meme forums/Reddit etc, pls wake up. There is no short squeeze here.
Anyway salaries won’t go up. This forum existed since 2009. Do you see salaries going up? No. And I think with automation and all it will go down.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
://abovethelaw.com/2021/05/law-firm-consolidation-perpetually-out-of-reach/
Wow top 4 firms according to this article:
Kirkland, Latham, DLA Piper, Baker McKenzie

Why why why am I not surprised.
I don’t see the big 5 here. BM…
Old 12-06-2021, 05:08 AM
Unregistered

Really sad that juniors on this forum fixated on money money money.

Law is a profession like the apprentice.
You train under a good mentor for a stipend. You learn a craft for a lifetime.
If one chases after money, then there is no nobility in the work.

Law is one of the oldest profession in the world, existing long before doctors existed.

It’s sad that comparison with a few internationals and then law folks here assume that is what everyone else is paid.

Do you know how many lawyers in the UK/US are doing PI kind of work as lawyers? Do they whine and ask why they are not in the white shoe etc? Because someone has to do the job, and they believe in the nobility of the legal profession.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
All these posters making reference to Milbank and then worse, using some statistics from the UK, or meme forums/Reddit etc, pls wake up. There is no short squeeze here.
Anyway salaries won’t go up. This forum existed since 2009. Do you see salaries going up? No. And I think with automation and all it will go down.
How to join politics? Seems like the only stable and high-paying jobs left for LLB holders are in politics and civil service. Local politics jobs at least not in high demand so lower entry criteria. Iron rice bowl job plus possible a million pa if you 'make partner' ie become minister. What else am I missing??

Old 12-06-2021, 12:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Really sad that juniors on this forum fixated on money money money.

Law is a profession like the apprentice.
You train under a good mentor for a stipend. You learn a craft for a lifetime.
If one chases after money, then there is no nobility in the work.

Law is one of the oldest profession in the world, existing long before doctors existed.

It’s sad that comparison with a few internationals and then law folks here assume that is what everyone else is paid.

Do you know how many lawyers in the UK/US are doing PI kind of work as lawyers? Do they whine and ask why they are not in the white shoe etc? Because someone has to do the job, and they believe in the nobility of the legal profession.
Its a bold assumption to say that PI lawyers believe in the "nobility" of the legal profession. Ever heard of the term ambulance-chasers?

Do you know how much the top plaintiff lawyers in the US make? Easily several times more than senior rainmakers in the top white shoe firms. They are legends.

In Singapore, I bet you don't know how much the founder of Hoh Law Corporation makes. It is A LOT. Yes, that Hoh Law that law students all look down on. He's literally a businessman, not a lawyer.

These people do crap law work not because of some sense of "nobility" but because they didnt have the inclination or grades to get in the top corporate firms. But in the end it doesn't matter because if they're good, they will make it rain either way.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:07 PM
Unregistered

I suspect the future of law would be like that.

The very top (fch, deans list, commendation list) will always have a job. Whether in house, practice or govt.

The middle will hollow out.

Those with applied learning (eg TP dip law paralegals) will eventually be highly employable. They will do a lot of the work that require support.

Some posters said earlier that you need legal training to dispense legal advice. True. But what if the AI bot can do it far better and with less mistakes. The partner just need the paralegal to check once over and sign off.

So I don’t know in this new business model, is there a future for being mediocre?
Old 12-06-2021, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I suspect the future of law would be like that.

The very top (fch, deans list, commendation list) will always have a job. Whether in house, practice or govt.

The middle will hollow out.

Those with applied learning (eg TP dip law paralegals) will eventually be highly employable. They will do a lot of the work that require support.

Some posters said earlier that you need legal training to dispense legal advice. True. But what if the AI bot can do it far better and with less mistakes. The partner just need the paralegal to check once over and sign off.

So I don’t know in this new business model, is there a future for being mediocre?
Another idiot who doesn't know what AI and all these other new technologies can and cannot do... If I see another article from some gungho B4 associate writing about the "range of exciting legal use cases for Blockchain" who thinks he's cutting edge I'm actually gonna puke
Old 12-06-2021, 01:27 PM
Unregistered

Eh there's a lot of hype going on in legal tech. Nothing new here. SMU's centre for computational law is one of the responses to these trends. Read up the works of Wong Meng Weng.

When emails came about, naysayers were also talking about it spelling the doom of the legal profession

At this stage, there's too much human input in the practice of law for much of it to be replaced by AI.

And if AI reaches the level of sophistication where most legal functions can be replaced, don't forget there're many other industries ahead in line of us that would be replaced long before that.