Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 25-11-2020, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fully agree with Point 1. Folks, please always keep friends you have met in your law degree courses at arm's length and take their words with a pinch of salt. You all could be chummy in university, because there is nothing to compete for back then. But once you step into the working world, even your bestest friend you made in your course could turn competitive and sabotage you behind your back.

It is nothing personal. The legal industry is cut-throat and many are fighting for an ever-shrinking pie.
I found it the other way round surprisingly. People in university were intensively competitive because everyone was fighting for the same few opportunities (moots, training contracts, subject prizes) but once qualifying, people were much less pressured as the competition becomes bounded by your department. A litigation associate isn’t fighting in the same market as a finance associate. Of course I could have got very unlucky in school and very lucky in work but remember that school is truly competitive (akin to a sports contest) where everyone roughly sits the same exams, but in the real world everyone is working on different cases and deals!

Old 30-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

Just a random question, but if your part B results are confidential only to you, how would your firm know if you passed all of them at first try (or were required to resit in March)?

Old 30-11-2020, 04:20 PM
Unregistered

I think it's beneficial for us to know whether the recruiters who approach us just need warm bodies or are able to view things from our perspective. We are the clients after all. To this end, it would be great to able to differentiate the good from the bad. Here's my little contribution to the list.

I can corroborate OP's account of Dhvani Doshi - very elusive, opaque, and ghosts. Don't waste our time brah.

New to the list - Sophie Chen and her posse from Daode Search - extremely unprofessional in terms of approach and follow-up. Work on your grammar brah.

Last but certainly the worst I've come across so far - Elly Lailee from ANSA. Jezuz H Christ where to start? Starts digging / stirring **** about your firm / team on the first call, asks for your comp in hard numbers, and has no leads for you. Absolute shocker. Be very wary - comes across as the kind to throw you under the bus. You can sense the toxicity from this one. Anyone with similar experiences? Would be great to hear.

Quote:
Agreed about Dhvani Doshi from Hays - Rude, entitled and impatient. Randomly calls you up for roles then never updates you and ghosts entirely. RUDE.

Emily Tan from Formative Search - This woman will literally harass you lmao. If you turn down a role, she will keep asking you WHY WHY WHY and ask if you can intro any friends who might be interested. Sometimes she even pretends as if she had mandate from the firm/company to act and search for a candidate. Anyhow max.

Sophie de Blauwe from Taylor Root - Will chat you up and get you hyped for a role, then ghost you. I heard her strategy is she lines up several candidates and sends the weaker ones in first to suss out the interviewers/what kind of questions would they ask/etc to prep her stronger ones later.

Melvin Ling from Hudson - I only learnt about this guy because he randomly cold called me on my office phone without even reaching out to me on LinkedIn first. Spoke to him for 5 mins and felt damn tired, clearly doesn't even know what he's doing or what the legal industry is about.

Awaiz Iqbal from Interlink Recruitment - OMG AVOID THIS GUY. Just like Emily, he anyhow pretend he has mandates and will randomly splice together random partner profiles to cobble up a JD for you. He once asked my friend whether she was interested in a role with XYZ department in my firm, which didn't even exist so I asked to see the JD - lo and behold, he just anyhow threw a few partners (from entirely different depts) and claimed they were hiring for that specific dept lol.

Lucy Kennerley from Leap29 - She will be very nice to you if she needs your profile/cv but when you try to ask her about roles she's posted, she'll be damn cold to you and say they not hiring for your profile lol.

Eng Chang from Space Exec - Talk a lot but clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, has a throw **** until it sticks method i.e. he will spam you with roles or talk you up about them when you're clearly unsuitable.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:29 AM
TorontoLaw

Default Average Salary

Hi I am currently a first year associate practising corporate law in an international law firm in Toronto. I am interested in lateraling to Singapore. What would be the average salary for a corporate lawyer in a local vs. international firm? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoLaw View Post
Hi I am currently a first year associate practising corporate law in an international law firm in Toronto. I am interested in lateraling to Singapore. What would be the average salary for a corporate lawyer in a local vs. international firm? Thanks.
Where is your primary law degree from?

Singapore law does not take kindly to KCL and the likes. South Asian law degrees from India like Uptron University are much more preferred.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:30 PM
Unregistered

Default TorontoLaw

Quote:

Singapore law does not take kindly to KCL and the likes. South Asian law degrees from India like Uptron University are much more preferred.
Thanks for the response. It's from University of Toronto.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Don’t listen to this forum troll.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just a random question, but if your part B results are confidential only to you, how would your firm know if you passed all of them at first try (or were required to resit in March)?
Because the partner/director is going to ask during results season. If people take leave during the resitting period out of nowhere... we will know one la

It's not worth hiding, very easy to find out and repercussions of being caught lying are just not worth it.

Anyway I heard from incoming trainees this year it's take home open book exam, one must be dense as a rock or hopelessly lazy to fail la. So relax, only those who deserve to fail will fail.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think it's beneficial for us to know whether the recruiters who approach us just need warm bodies or are able to view things from our perspective. We are the clients after all. To this end, it would be great to able to differentiate the good from the bad. Here's my little contribution to the list.

I can corroborate OP's account of Dhvani Doshi - very elusive, opaque, and ghosts. Don't waste our time brah.

New to the list - Sophie Chen and her posse from Daode Search - extremely unprofessional in terms of approach and follow-up. Work on your grammar brah.

Last but certainly the worst I've come across so far - Elly Lailee from ANSA. Jezuz H Christ where to start? Starts digging / stirring **** about your firm / team on the first call, asks for your comp in hard numbers, and has no leads for you. Absolute shocker. Be very wary - comes across as the kind to throw you under the bus. You can sense the toxicity from this one. Anyone with similar experiences? Would be great to hear.
Another shocker from ANSA....
Old 01-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because the partner/director is going to ask during results season. If people take leave during the resitting period out of nowhere... we will know one la

It's not worth hiding, very easy to find out and repercussions of being caught lying are just not worth it.

Anyway I heard from incoming trainees this year it's take home open book exam, one must be dense as a rock or hopelessly lazy to fail la. So relax, only those who deserve to fail will fail.
Also why does it matter ah... I've never heard of anyone not being retained because they have to re-sit Part B.. I guess unless you fail so bad you delay your call by a year lol