Lawyer Salary - Page 966 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 02-11-2020, 06:18 PM
Unregistered

Aside from going inhouse, are there any other jobs available to lawyers who want to leave practice but earn similar pay? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't agree with comments like this. A firm's pay structure is something that firms are open and honest about right from the very beginning. If you have agreed to a certain pay structure, then you really shouldn't be complaining about it after the fact.

It's not like the company is cutting your pay or retrenching you. Many lawyers i know are trying their hardest to ensure that support staff are not adversely affected during this time, even if this means taking a paycut themselves. Complaining about measures (such as delaying bonus) so that more people can keep their jobs longer (trust me when i say the alternative is retrenchment) is not productive and casts a really bad light on you (especially if it is true that profit-centers are taking a hit to ensure you are not adversely affected).

As a senior staff member, i would be extremely disappointed if my support staff came to me with this complaint. I would also be less likely to give this staff member a bigger bonus when the firm is doing well. Why? Because i know this employee is not willing to suffer together with the firm when the firm is doing badly. I would rather reward employees who stuck with us through thick and thin. It is a showing of character.

Also, if the pay structure has changed due to a change in company policy (which is neither illegal nor unfair - there are many reasons for this) you can choose not to agree or find alternative employment.

There are many many companies (including MNCs) which adopt different pay structures. This could be due to a great number of reasons ranging from something as simple as the year for them is April-Mar and not Jan-Dec or a ploy to retain talent for as long as possible. Whatever the case - you have the option to move to another company if the pay structure is not to your liking.
Absolute nonsense.

The fact that someone agrees to a certain pay structure does not mean that there is nothing wrong with it. In an employers’ market where numerous local employers low-ball, one may not have much of a choice but to accept what’s offered.

On the issue of delayed bonus and bonus cuts, please be aware of the distinction between equity partners and employees (as the poster above has highlighted). When a firm decides not to pay bonus, the firm benefits by having more retained earnings. Equity partners with a stake in the firm indirectly benefit from this. But employees do not get any of these upside. The only tangible compensation that employees receive are their monthly pay and bonuses.

It is also ironic that you speak of how you value loyalty to a firm through thick and thin, but when there are unfavourable policy changes you suggest that employees suck-it-up or quit.

Get your trash together.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM
Unregistered

Default Response

Quote:
Aside from going inhouse, are there any other jobs available to lawyers who want to leave practice but earn similar pay? Thanks in advance.
"similar pay" - what pay are you looking at and at how old? lots of jobs out there, many become business development.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
"similar pay" - what pay are you looking at and at how old? lots of jobs out there, many become business development.
There's also a financial consultant somewhere in this thread that has done well for himself in the insurance industry.

I would really like to see a lawyer turned influencer though. I think there'd be a market for someone like this. Not a troll, just a thought. I mean, i respect the hustle of a lot of the social media influencers, but few of them do serious stuff. Would be nice to have an influencer who's willing to tackle hard questions.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:26 AM
Unregistered

oh yes, that would be very cool. Although such an influencer would have to be both really intelligent and engaging for him/her to maintain his/her followers. Look at Charles Yeo for example. He was an interesting figure in the beginning but he lacked substance which made me bored of him real quick.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
There's also a financial consultant somewhere in this thread that has done well for himself in the insurance industry.

I would really like to see a lawyer turned influencer though. I think there'd be a market for someone like this. Not a troll, just a thought. I mean, i respect the hustle of a lot of the social media influencers, but few of them do serious stuff. Would be nice to have an influencer who's willing to tackle hard questions.
Very true, there are many ex-lawyers who have carved out a great career ex law for themselves. Case in point is Alvin Tan, an entrepreneur in the creative arts industry and an up and coming social media influencer who's not afraid of asking the 'hard' questions in his AMA.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Very true, there are many ex-lawyers who have carved out a great career ex law for themselves. Case in point is Alvin Tan, an entrepreneur in the creative arts industry and an up and coming social media influencer who's not afraid of asking the 'hard' questions in his AMA.
People like Alvin Tan are indeed the movers and shakers of our times. There are many people who fail to make it, whether they stay in law or they quit. It is only the brave ones like him who are able to stand for themselves and thrive. Alvin Tan, is indeed the hero of today.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
oh yes, that would be very cool. Although such an influencer would have to be both really intelligent and engaging for him/her to maintain his/her followers. Look at Charles Yeo for example. He was an interesting figure in the beginning but he lacked substance which made me bored of him real quick.
yeah. i know what you mean.

I'd very much like a discussion about imran rahim, defamation and poha. Like a discussion on why one and not the other.

I think a discussion on previous contempt of court cases would also be interesting (lhl's nephew) - the legal issues and the court judgments. Not the political ********.

Or an analysis on why the doctors appeal was successful and defamation was made out.

I think a lot of the news just doesn't do justice to the actual legal workings behind the scenes.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
People like Alvin Tan are indeed the movers and shakers of our times. There are many people who fail to make it, whether they stay in law or they quit. It is only the brave ones like him who are able to stand for themselves and thrive. Alvin Tan, is indeed the hero of today.
Alvin Tan is arguably one of the more illustrious NUS Law alumni in recent history to have made it big internationally, without some expensive and practically useless LLM to compensate for a lack of self-worth. Lawyers looking to leave legal practice should look no further for a upstanding role model who exudes confidence and poise whether in a suit or without.

Another NUS Law alumni of equal standing who has succeeded outside law is Razer CEO Tan Min Liang. The exit options are plentiful indeed.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

Just read through most of the posts here. To share some insights, it does not matter what kind of law you practise, as long as you have your own book. The book determines whether you become a partner or stuck at senior associate. Many times I have seen brilliant minds being stuck at SA for so long, because they do not network to know more people and build a loyal following of clients.

I knew of a SA who used to work as an assoc in a big 4 for years but is still stuck at SA in a smaller firm because she has no book to speak off. She is just an efficient grunt who can labour for the firm but does not bring additional businesses. A community law practitioner can amass a thick book, set up own firm after years of practice, earn a substantial amount per month and still enjoy work-life balance. And small firms like these incur lesser overheads. I know a few who don't even have secretaries, so their take-home pay is comparable to big firm partners.

Unfortunately, Singaporeans have no lack of IQ but lack EQ, which is needed to build your book.