Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 11-10-2020, 10:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's the height of stupidity to do that. If you are a FCH just get a TC with one of the MC firms who offer UK TCs to SG students (you'd be surprised at how easy this is, the vast majority of top students (like in the top 5% bracket of NUS and SMU students) would prefer a B4 TC to this).
Not the OP but I disagree. It definitely isn't 'easy' to get a MC TC in SG and contrary to what you might be implying, nobody I know has decided to take a B4 TC in lieu of a MC TC (because of the higher pay and better career prospects). If you want to work in an international firm or earn more than B4, I think going to London still presents a decent opportunity vs staying in Singapore and hoping to one day laterally transfer.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not the OP but I disagree. It definitely isn't 'easy' to get a MC TC in SG and contrary to what you might be implying, nobody I know has decided to take a B4 TC in lieu of a MC TC (because of the higher pay and better career prospects). If you want to work in an international firm or earn more than B4, I think going to London still presents a decent opportunity vs staying in Singapore and hoping to one day laterally transfer.
But there is a marginally higher chance of becoming a B4 equity partner as compared to making equity partner at an MC, no? In that case, wouldn't it make more sense from a practical perspective to take B4 route in spite of the initial lower starting pay compared to MC?

Old 11-10-2020, 11:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone knows if its possible transfer laterally from local B4 to London MC at NQ/1 PQE and if anyone has done it before?

Old 11-10-2020, 11:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Am the OP. I think you might have misunderstood what I meant by 'easy' (not your fault, it was badly phrased). I was referring to the people with the grades/CV at the top 10% of the cohort. The more selective B4 departments are just as if not more selective than the MC firms, and I was referring to the fact that there are in fact many people I know of (and it makes perfect sense why this is so) that will reject AO or CC for a B4 TC.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Am the OP. I think you might have misunderstood what I meant by 'easy' (not your fault, it was badly phrased). I was referring to the people with the grades/CV at the top 10% of the cohort. The more selective B4 departments are just as if not more selective than the MC firms, and I was referring to the fact that there are in fact many people I know of (and it makes perfect sense why this is so) that will reject AO or CC for a B4 TC.
not sure if you're a student now but there's literally no one i know in my batch or the batches above/below who have been offered ao/cc and take b4 over them. even the most selective of b4 departments are way easier to get in. and i say this hearing from ppl with first hand experience applying to mc and b4 very recently

having grades/cv at the top 10% doesn't mean anything also. there are ppl who were offered cc/ao who are not deanslisters/expected fch and there are also those who are multiple book prize winners/deanslist every year/close to top of the batch kind who don't get mc offers. it's by no means 'easy' for anyone in any sense of that word.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
not sure if you're a student now but there's literally no one i know in my batch or the batches above/below who have been offered ao/cc and take b4 over them. even the most selective of b4 departments are way easier to get in. and i say this hearing from ppl with first hand experience applying to mc and b4 very recently

having grades/cv at the top 10% doesn't mean anything also. there are ppl who were offered cc/ao who are not deanslisters/expected fch and there are also those who are multiple book prize winners/deanslist every year/close to top of the batch kind who don't get mc offers. it's by no means 'easy' for anyone in any sense of that word.
I know of 3 in 2019 alone. That's the year when a certain B4 corp department took in an exclusively first class batch -> just in that batch alone there were 2 that rejected CC.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I know of 3 in 2019 alone. That's the year when a certain B4 corp department took in an exclusively first class batch -> just in that batch alone there were 2 that rejected CC.
Which firm/dept was that
Old 12-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

Anyone know the NQ salary at TSMP now?
Old 12-10-2020, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow good for them to give other people a chance to get a leg up in the rat race. Its rare to find people with a long term game plan of EP anyway. Others might just want to earn what they can before they burn out. CC also offers some of the best (international) training and resources.

Honestly though, being in an international firm is a good experience and unless you’ve seen the light eg aiming for EP like the people you mentioned, the exposure the international clients huge EU/US led deals will definitely broaden your world view.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow good for them to give other people a chance to get a leg up in the rat race. Its rare to find people with a long term game plan of EP anyway. Others might just want to earn what they can before they burn out. CC also offers some of the best (international) training and resources.

Honestly though, being in an international firm is a good experience and unless you’ve seen the light eg aiming for EP like the people you mentioned, the exposure the international clients huge EU/US led deals will definitely broaden your world view.
Would a LLM in London help in any way to land oneself in an intl firm?