Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 17-09-2020, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That’s why those associates who went small or those one or two man firm can build their own connections easier and can start out their own practice after 3 years
Ironic.gif

Old 17-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That’s why those associates who went small or those one or two man firm can build their own connections easier and can start out their own practice after 3 years
Not just that. Small firms force associates to manage clients personally, which is an essential soft skill that many lack. From that, Balancing clients' expectations while maintaining your own sanity is a soft skill that many lawyers lack.

Many lawyers are academically brilliant but have zero EQ or soft skills, more so for those associates at the prestigious firms because they are shielded from such. In the end, they end up as being too brusque that antagonizes clients or overly pandering to clients' unreasonable demands.

Old 17-09-2020, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
To add on, small firms are excellent starting points for aspiring litigators. Conducting your own EIC, client management and appearing before registrars during your early years help to build confidence, experience and a very thick skin.

Whereas in big firms, the liti associates don't have much opportunities to brush up on advocacy and stuck to doing background research, which can be detrimental. Advocacy is a skill that requires you to open your mouth and not just be a good academic researcher

Old 18-09-2020, 03:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
U are not being fair to the others in the list who did not do it to u. By casting the net wide n even suggesting anyone of them could have done it, this is really misleading cowardly and defamatory.

Have some balls n name the person.
Well said!!
Old 18-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Agreed about Dhvani Doshi from Hays - Rude, entitled and impatient. Randomly calls you up for roles then never updates you and ghosts entirely. RUDE.

Emily Tan from Formative Search - This woman will literally harass you lmao. If you turn down a role, she will keep asking you WHY WHY WHY and ask if you can intro any friends who might be interested. Sometimes she even pretends as if she had mandate from the firm/company to act and search for a candidate. Anyhow max.

Sophie de Blauwe from Taylor Root - Will chat you up and get you hyped for a role, then ghost you. I heard her strategy is she lines up several candidates and sends the weaker ones in first to suss out the interviewers/what kind of questions would they ask/etc to prep her stronger ones later.

Melvin Ling from Hudson - I only learnt about this guy because he randomly cold called me on my office phone without even reaching out to me on LinkedIn first. Spoke to him for 5 mins and felt damn tired, clearly doesn't even know what he's doing or what the legal industry is about.

Awaiz Iqbal from Interlink Recruitment - OMG AVOID THIS GUY. Just like Emily, he anyhow pretend he has mandates and will randomly splice together random partner profiles to cobble up a JD for you. He once asked my friend whether she was interested in a role with XYZ department in my firm, which didn't even exist so I asked to see the JD - lo and behold, he just anyhow threw a few partners (from entirely different depts) and claimed they were hiring for that specific dept lol.

Lucy Kennerley from Leap29 - She will be very nice to you if she needs your profile/cv but when you try to ask her about roles she's posted, she'll be damn cold to you and say they not hiring for your profile lol.

Eng Chang from Space Exec - Talk a lot but clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, has a throw **** until it sticks method i.e. he will spam you with roles or talk you up about them when you're clearly unsuitable.
i had to block emily tan after she sent me one too many imaginary/outdated roles lol. and as OP said, yes she will shamelessly pester you if you try to say no to her and then turn around and ask if you have any friend who's interested. unprofessional and desperate.
Old 18-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Please avoid, they have been trying to fill the role for 9 mths+ and have not gound anyone. They ask for new grads but expect them to know everything at the start..... aka forced cheap labour

I spoke to Cresco before - the guy running it is arrogant and rude. Wasted my time there.

Old 18-09-2020, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i had to block emily tan after she sent me one too many imaginary/outdated roles lol. and as OP said, yes she will shamelessly pester you if you try to say no to her and then turn around and ask if you have any friend who's interested. unprofessional and desperate.
I got ever kena recruiter approach me for a role in my own firm n practice group wtf
Old 18-09-2020, 02:31 PM
Unregistered

Question Incompetent Seniors

Has anyone experienced any incompetent seniors in their team?

I define incompetence on many levels:

1. Went to a university that is not in the LPA

2. Not Singapore called but still pretend to know and do Singapore law

3. Delegate everything downline but clearly in no position to supervise and will dominate everyone downline

4. Claim credit despite all the above and pretend to boss that all is done by him

5. When challenged by juniors he will act like a victim and allege bullying

6. Inflate hours and pretend to be v bz

I am tearing my hair out over a senior in my team. I am from an international law firm and for some lame reason this dude manage to get a permanent position. My boss and HR are purposely turning a blind eye to this despite it is shattering team morale, because this dude is of a minority race and they want to be seen to be diverse

Pls advise me what to do.
Old 18-09-2020, 02:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

3. Delegate everything downline but clearly in no position to supervise and will dominate everyone downline

4. Claim credit despite all the above and pretend to boss that all is done by him

I am tearing my hair out over a senior in my team. I am from an international law firm and for some lame reason this dude manage to get a permanent position. My boss and HR are purposely turning a blind eye to this despite it is shattering team morale, because this dude is of a minority race and they want to be seen to be diverse

I can only say u deserve it. That is why i refuse to go to a non local firm. I grew up in a local firm and had many opportunities to go to international firms but stayed put and am now a partner in the same local firm. I am the master of my own land. When you go to international law firms this is wat u get. You want to get paid better but you should accept the other ****.

What do u expect. Of cos they will try to hire all these sorts and super wayang foreigners. I bet your HR is not local either and therefore will not appreciate where u r coming from and may in fact feel that theres something wrong w u. If your boss is local my diagnosis is that he or she has ptsd. His or her previous boss must have been some angmoh n being colonialised is ingrained in him or her.

My suggestion is quit.
Old 18-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Which international firm so cui to even accept poorly qualified lawyer.

U gotta be joking.