Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the focus will probably be on the trainee that is being paid more i think, but if you prove to be worthwhile, then you too should probably get trained.
So at the start there’s already discrimination? Wtf. Then why choose the crappy candidate in the first place.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Unregistered

Default Admissions query

Hey! I’ve heard around that people can be privately called instead of waiting for the mass call. I would like to get qualified sooner upon finishing the PTC and have two questions:

1) what is the procedure to file for a private call?
2) will I be able to choose a date for the private call?

I have tried to do some research on this but didn’t manage to find anything useful. Would appreciate some advice here! Thanks.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey! I’ve heard around that people can be privately called instead of waiting for the mass call. I would like to get qualified sooner upon finishing the PTC and have two questions:

I have tried to do some research on this but didn’t manage to find anything useful. Would appreciate some advice here! Thanks.
Ask Sile maybe? More accurate or law society of Sg

Old 07-07-2020, 09:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I have never heard the phrase "private call" before.

There are multiple call dates a year. Mass call just happens to be the one which usually has the most number of new lawyers by far, so SILE will go ahead and arrange certain things (such as a common mover). But the procedure for all the call dates (including mass call) is exactly the same. You can find it here: s://.supremecourt.gov.sg/hearing/admission-as-advocates-and-solicitors
Old 07-07-2020, 09:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

The idea behind the AAS OS is that lawyers to be get a taste of what it's like to interact with the court and registry system. It is more effective than Part B FMS at this. You have to research the ROC and other documentation that SILE will give you.

And there are real world repercusssions for failing to keep to these things. Affidavits rejected, timelines missed, sometimes even both. Can delay your call date and as I'm sure SILE may have warned on the Part B lectures, even prevent your call entirely. SILE must have given examples of people dishonestly backdating call documents and not getting called as a consequence,

Advice is: research this yourself. When things go sideways later on in your career, you bear the blame. Don't come back to the senior who told you, eh I always like that one. So it's OK, don't worry. Judge doesn't care, client doesn't care. And word gets around (yes even among judges) that you're incompetent.

So don't be lazy. Don't always ask around for answers from colleagues. Sometimes they arr kind enough. Don't expect that they will always be. You may be wrestling with subs at 2am, and no one's there to pick up your calls to prevent you from getting fked by the court in the morning.

Deal with it. A lot of practice is dealing with uncertainty and risk. No one's going to hold your hand and say it's going to be fine. No one's going to give you the MCQ answers before the hearing. YOU are doing that for the client. If you don't like it, as so many people in this thread have bemoaned it, maybe you should reconsider filing the call papers.

Don't ever ask this in here again.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Unregistered

chill mate. While what you wrote made sense, you could be kinder with your words.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:39 PM
Unregistered

Do you mean part call? I’m sure your elite legal skills can unearth the answers for you...

Also, as to differentiated trainee pay in the same firm - that sucks if true. Not few years ago RLT and PTC trainees were all paid the same. Personally, just suck it up and prove your worth. It will be a painful (though barely in the grand scheme of things) but at least short six months. But have a think about the financial health of an organization that has to scrimp a couple of hundee sticks from its trainees... be good if you can name and shame.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The idea behind the AAS OS is that lawyers to be get a taste of what it's like to interact with the court and registry system. It is more effective than Part B FMS at this. You have to research the ROC and other documentation that SILE will give you.

And there are real world repercusssions for failing to keep to these things. Affidavits rejected, timelines missed, sometimes even both. Can delay your call date and as I'm sure SILE may have warned on the Part B lectures, even prevent your call entirely. SILE must have given examples of people dishonestly backdating call documents and not getting called as a consequence,

Advice is: research this yourself. When things go sideways later on in your career, you bear the blame. Don't come back to the senior who told you, eh I always like that one. So it's OK, don't worry. Judge doesn't care, client doesn't care. And word gets around (yes even among judges) that you're incompetent.

So don't be lazy. Don't always ask around for answers from colleagues. Sometimes they arr kind enough. Don't expect that they will always be. You may be wrestling with subs at 2am, and no one's there to pick up your calls to prevent you from getting fked by the court in the morning.

Deal with it. A lot of practice is dealing with uncertainty and risk. No one's going to hold your hand and say it's going to be fine. No one's going to give you the MCQ answers before the hearing. YOU are doing that for the client. If you don't like it, as so many people in this thread have bemoaned it, maybe you should reconsider filing the call papers.

Don't ever ask this in here again.
Disgrunted KCL grad who couldnt get a MC TC
Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

There are 3 types of calls:

1) Part Call: You can apply for part call if you are 3 months into PTC and you have passed your Part B exams on the 1st attempt. But usually, applications are seldom because it means you will get arrowed by many partners to attend court on their behalf.

2) Monthly Call: These are the monthly call dates that are shown on the Supreme Court's website. Note that there are no monthly calls in June & December. Note that you have to get your own mover and some movers will charge a fee.

3) Mass Call: Once a year and the call with the most admissions. Most trainees will wait till Mass Call as the hassle is much lesser since a common mover has been arranged per batch. Also, most want to "graduate" together with their university batch mates.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
There are 3 types of calls:

1) Part Call: You can apply for part call if you are 3 months into PTC and you have passed your Part B exams on the 1st attempt. But usually, applications are seldom because it means you will get arrowed by many partners to attend court on their behalf.

2) Monthly Call: These are the monthly call dates that are shown on the Supreme Court's website. Note that there are no monthly calls in June & December. Note that you have to get your own mover and some movers will charge a fee.

3) Mass Call: Once a year and the call with the most admissions. Most trainees will wait till Mass Call as the hassle is much lesser since a common mover has been arranged per batch. Also, most want to "graduate" together with their university batch mates.

Thank you for putting this out so clear and concisely!