Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 04-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
is there any way to find such small firms? or is it just pure luck?
Yeah im at a big firm and q tired

Old 04-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Good for you! Nowadays big law firms have lost its allure. Heard of lawyers with a few years of experience content with setting up one man shop doing smaller cases but having more work life balance, more freedom and happiness.

When I start work I realise you cannot equate happiness with money. Although unhappiness can be absolved with money, albeit slightly.
Agree.
To be honest, it's quite difficult to be poor in this line. I mean, i accept i won't ever be rich working for a small firm... but i'm confident i won't be destitute.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The Good Wife (and The Good Fight) - both legal dramas raised many issues which are actually very interesting
I LOVE THE GOOD WIFE! A show that has solid characters, original plotline and development that closely follow current affairs. I am not even a news person (I seldom read news unless it is salacious) but I find it smart how the show writers manage to weave them into a show. Does not rely on cringeworthy dialogue and so called sex appeal. I watch The Good Fight, but did not find it as enthralling and captivating as the good wife but it is still good.

You know when I told people about both these shows, they just give the blur look and say what is that, i will go google. I think most of them just know their law and order series.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Agree.
To be honest, it's quite difficult to be poor in this line. I mean, i accept i won't ever be rich working for a small firm... but i'm confident i won't be destitute.

it is v hard to be destitute unless you are very **** and sullied your reputation. I heard of people who are so **** that everyone who has worked with them know they are **** yet they still thriving.

Lawyers, even when they are at the lower tier earn more than what some people earn their whole lives.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
is there any way to find such small firms? or is it just pure luck?
Luck. I worked for another small firm previously and was paid late all the time and sometimes not paid at all. I left, obvs.

Sorry i can't be of more help. It's really trial and error.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This I agree - I know of totally useless people in the workplace that stayed on for years at the expense of others. those totally useless people know how to act stressed, act busy et cetera. It is just an acting game., act convincing you win already lor. most bosses just open and close one eye as long as you don't screw up tremendously.

Sometimes partner doesn't want to blow the top in the office, you think those partners do not know it is not a pretty sight with everyone gossiping behind their back. They will gossip about the partner but usually not the one being scolded. If you screw up, whose head is on the chopping board? Not the lowly associate or executive but the partner. Your colleagues are the one cleaning your mess.

My advice is if your boss fires you, seems to nitpick on you but not your coworkers, you must reflect. Maybe your work quality is substandard.

I have been a mediocre employee before, at that point of time I thought I work very hard but I did not. I may clock in the full hours and OT but I am unfocused in my work. Stress is not an excuse if your colleague is doing same amt of work. everyone has their problems. from my own experience, mediocre people doesn't know they are mediocre.

That said, I know of people who really quite jialat in one work place but they prosper in a totally new environment. Sometimes the work is just not a good fit.

My advice to those who know they cannot cope in their new environment but choose to stay on, it may be best to seek greener pastures elsewhere. You are not doing yourself, your colleagues and your boss a favor. In fact they may secretly resent you for drawing same salary but doing mediocre work and having to clean up after you.

I believe there is a job for everyone. You don't have to love your job. A job is just a job - you have to not hate it and at least produce acceptable work

If every workplaces you have does not suit you - maybe you are the problem. If you stay in a job for years and your boss still not happy with your work but is okay your colleague, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

Was snooping around LinkedIn and came across a lot of American JD grads in high finance.

Is it common in the local context? For a law undergrad in NUS to pivot towards M&A in a bank?
Old 04-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Luck. I worked for another small firm previously and was paid late all the time and sometimes not paid at all. I left, obvs.

Sorry i can't be of more help. It's really trial and error.

That is horrid.
The longer you stay at a horrible workplace, the harder it is for you to leave. That is a phenomenon. know of people that hate their colleagues, their bosses yet they still stay on for the salary and either consciously or subconsciously produce slipshod work. Then their bosses and colleagues despise him for that and do not think there is anything wrong in not giving him salary increment and bonuses. End up both parties hate each other.

It is a vicious cycle.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If every workplaces you have does not suit you - maybe you are the problem. If you stay in a job for years and your boss still not happy with your work but is okay your colleague, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
Say you join one law firm and you are struggling. First, you must bear in mind - every job is hard when you first try. You have to get used to the speed and pace. Give yourself a few months, are you still struggling? Look at your colleague, are they struggling too? If they have the same amount of work but manage perfectly, 1) either they are more capable or clock in more hours. 2) you are really lacking. Then you have to think to yourself - are you willing to work as hard as them? When you OT and still show no improvement, why is that? Got two scenarios - either you are not as smart (nothing wrong with that) or you spend your time surfing net, on your phone or making idle chit chat. Most people underestimate how much time those took up. Did you take long lunches? If you don't take lunch, what do you do during lunch time? Keep a time log of what you do during work - you will know how much time you spend. If you still cannot improve, I will advise you resign. Like the saying goes, one man's meat is another poison. You may find some place to your liking and someone may cherish your job.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Was snooping around LinkedIn and came across a lot of American JD grads in high finance.

Is it common in the local context? For a law undergrad in NUS to pivot towards M&A in a bank?
The only way is to start as a law student. Get the internship with a bank, get converted, and then it doesn't really matter from there on. Trying to go into finance full time hire with only a law degree won't happen because, fundamentally, you need training. You know nothing about valuations, accounting concepts, your math is probably **** after years of not using it. They're not gonna hire you and pay you full time salary and have to teach you everything about doing your job.

I do know some who have made that jump, but they usually started as an undergrad or have an additional degree (e.g. MBA, B.science)