Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 06-04-2020, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just got my part b results - failed a paper. Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice how I should spend my time effectively before re-taking? Any jobs I can do etc
Are you currently training? If your firm is willing to keep you, then you can work for them as a legal exec until the next round of Part B starts (which is only 3 months away?)

If you are not training / your firm has decided to cut you after you failed then you might want to consider looking for alternative careers. You will need another year + to get called at the minimum, it's also expensive.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

I got an in-house offer today, 4 PQE, 9k pm. Is it worth accepting in this climate? Regional role in UK MNC, but office in a very ulu area.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I got an in-house offer today, 4 PQE, 9k pm. Is it worth accepting in this climate? Regional role in UK MNC, but office in a very ulu area.
What are you doing in your current role

What is the push factor for you to want to leave

Old 07-04-2020, 11:23 AM
Unregistered

are there any LAs here with very little to do these days?

my billable hours for March look awful.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think the more important question is: how is the company doing? and i don't just mean surface level checks on glassdoor.

Is it a listed company? What's was their Ebita? Ebita for the region? What is their pitch to the shareholders? who are the directors? are the directors industry people - what is their background? Any plan for growth in the region? Any retrenchments? CEO keep changing every 2/3 years?

You need to research the company as if you are an investor... because you're pretty much betting your future career that this company can remain alive and competitive for as long as you want to work for them.

I went in house... had such a terrible experience... went back to practice after 2 years. I'm not saying don't accept the offer... but you should go in with your eyes wide open. If the company isn't doing so well.... job security will become an issue... for sure... and as much as practice is stressful, i've pretty much never had to worry on a daily basis if i would be retrenched the next day. I was also a regional counsel. You still won't be privy to management decisions at this level... not high enough.

Sorry for the rant - PTSD from those 2 years.

Be careful. Thread carefully.

Don't burn bridges, make room so if you want to return in future there is still a road left to take.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you currently training? If your firm is willing to keep you, then you can work for them as a legal exec until the next round of Part B starts (which is only 3 months away?)

If you are not training / your firm has decided to cut you after you failed then you might want to consider looking for alternative careers. You will need another year + to get called at the minimum, it's also expensive.
This. Approach your law firm to see if they will take you as a Legal Exec. Don't expect to be paid much.

If you're asking 3k+, it's a no for me.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This. Approach your law firm to see if they will take you as a Legal Exec. Don't expect to be paid much.

If you're asking 3k+, it's a no for me.
Would this also work if I apply fresh to other places as a legal exec? Do I need to be with a firm to get called?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think the more important question is: how is the company doing? and i don't just mean surface level checks on glassdoor.

Is it a listed company? What's was their Ebita? Ebita for the region? What is their pitch to the shareholders? who are the directors? are the directors industry people - what is their background? Any plan for growth in the region? Any retrenchments? CEO keep changing every 2/3 years?

You need to research the company as if you are an investor... because you're pretty much betting your future career that this company can remain alive and competitive for as long as you want to work for them.

I went in house... had such a terrible experience... went back to practice after 2 years. I'm not saying don't accept the offer... but you should go in with your eyes wide open. If the company isn't doing so well.... job security will become an issue... for sure... and as much as practice is stressful, i've pretty much never had to worry on a daily basis if i would be retrenched the next day. I was also a regional counsel. You still won't be privy to management decisions at this level... not high enough.

Don't burn bridges, make room so if you want to return in future there is still a road left to take.
agree 100%.

also wanna add that be very wary of sole counsel roles.
more often than not, the hours don't justify the paycut you'll have to take.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Would this also work if I apply fresh to other places as a legal exec? Do I need to be with a firm to get called?
A legal exec is basically anyone in the law firm that has the legal knowledge to do lawyer-esque work but is not currently training and is not yet called.

Since it is April now, it is likely that you are in the middle of your TC. Finish your TC first. I don't think they can let you go on the basis that you failed Part B, but idk. It would also be really cruel to do that. You are allowed to complete your TC even though you failed Part B. Then, go talk to the partners and ask them whether they will retain you if you take Part B again come July.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Is it easy to transition back into private practice after having ventured in-house?