Lawyer Salary - Page 225 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 26-02-2018, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

Usually its the weaklings and losers that believe in Karma, because they have no power to change things

Old 26-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Unregistered

lol what's with all these sudden influx of in-house lawyers chipping in. Hard to tell whose trolling and whose not, but i guess fair to say in-house life is better in terms of work-life balance and decent pay.. but can we hear from some practitioners who can give some pros and nice insights to practice as well? Haha.

Old 26-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
lol what's with all these sudden influx of in-house lawyers chipping in. Hard to tell whose trolling and whose not, but i guess fair to say in-house life is better in terms of work-life balance and decent pay.. but can we hear from some practitioners who can give some pros and nice insights to practice as well? Haha.
U know why no senior practitioners? Cos they do not have work life balance

Old 26-02-2018, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Usually its the weaklings and losers that believe in Karma, because they have no power to change things
U must be a baddie then. Bullying juniors at whim. Ofc you don’t believe in karma. Haha
Old 26-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
you must be one of those sharks that give the law profession a bad rep
Old 27-02-2018, 12:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Perhaps I can share. I am 3pqe.

I am living in constant pressure of meeting billable targets.

pros: money is good I can buy a flashy car
fly business class when travel overseas
can sleep properly in the air while flying
juniors seldom question when I give them work

cons: I only get to enjoy my car during journey to work and back home
My health suffered and spent quite a lot of money for hypertension treatment
4 failed relationships while in practice and still single now. Couldn’t sustain the commitment.
hair dropped quite a bit too, am balding in early 30s.
lack of sleep

Old 27-02-2018, 12:36 AM
Unregistered

4) How am I to learn?
By being thrown very quickly in the deep end whenever possible - i.e. to carry out real (not fake or illusory) work, as long as it does not cause us or our clients any damage. Trainees will get to do things that practitioners do and will be treated likewise. Work can be given to you by the legal associates but you must show or extend a soft or hard copy of what you have done to your mentor always (by email, showing the actual product, etc.). This is necessary so that your mentor can (a) supervise and check your work and give you the appropriate instruction and (b) be impressed (or otherwise) by your skill, competence and diligence. The lawyers in the firm have also been briefed not to give or delegate work that (a) they are unable themselves to do, (b) they do not like doing, and (c) they are unable to provide instruct anyone how to do it right. If a lawyer sets you a deadline, then it is given that he/she will be able to meet the deadline if he/she is to carry out the work himself/herself; otherwise, he/she should not impose that deadline.

5) Why am I receiving so much work from everybody?
Alas, there is no definite answer to this one. Why is Singapore more successful as a nation compared to some other countries (we are, aren't we)? Why are some law firms receiving more work or clients than others? Please refer to the people giving you the work for possible answers. We suppose the answer can be pedantic or profound depending on the way the question is put. Perhaps, they are all just impressed by your ability, diligence and reliability. Lawyers to you are like clients to us - we/they like to go back to where things get done properly.

6) Why am I not receiving work from anybody?
Also no firm answer to this one. Please ask everyone - especially your mentor. Perhaps, they are not impressed or just plain terrified of what you can produce. Accidents do happen to lawyers who make the bad judgment of relying on a trainee’s defective work. If you are becoming unemployed in the firm, please attempt to correct the situation quickly. We are afraid you have to take the initiative - we cannot force lawyers in the firm to “commit suicide” against their will. By default, the mentor, alas, may have to do so.

7) If I made a mess of some work early in my training, will it be held against me?
As a matter of principle, no. We try extremely hard not to be prejudiced against someone just because he/she produced bad work at an early stage. However, having said that, you must realise that for some people, confidence is a very strange thing - once lost, it is extremely hard to regain. Although we will try our best, the onus will be on you to retrieve what is fading or lost. Remember – trust and confidence need to be earned and they do not come automatically!

8) Can I complain if I think I am receiving too much work?
Of course. Please see your mentor. But please be sure you know what you are complaining about. If you feel that you are receiving too much work because you do not know how to do the work, it may be easier just to learn how to do it.

://.channeo.sg/TraineeFAQ.html
Old 27-02-2018, 12:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I went straight to in house after TC. Of course I was offered employment in a small law firm, but time is a major factor for not practicing.

Very little guidance or mentor ship during RLT and TC at the same firm. I was like the lead trainee, doing the job of an associate for 1 and a half years, guiding the paralegals, other trainees and signing off email responses and letters on behalf of my boss, meeting with clients. Basically I was running the whole firm and I stayed till about 9pm daily.
Putting aside the rather incredible story of how you're now general counsel of an MNC, you were signing off letters for your boss as a trainee? Pls tell me how that isn't a breach of section 33 of the LPA lmao
Old 27-02-2018, 02:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Perhaps I can share. I am 3pqe.

I am living in constant pressure of meeting billable targets.

pros: money is good I can buy a flashy car
fly business class when travel overseas
can sleep properly in the air while flying
juniors seldom question when I give them work

cons: I only get to enjoy my car during journey to work and back home
My health suffered and spent quite a lot of money for hypertension treatment
4 failed relationships while in practice and still single now. Couldn’t sustain the commitment.
hair dropped quite a bit too, am balding in early 30s.
lack of sleep
What is your drive to continue working and not quit? Do you still enjoy your work? Did you enjoy the work during TC, 1 pqe days and now ? Any difference work satisfaction wise?
Old 27-02-2018, 08:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
What is your drive to continue working and not quit? Do you still enjoy your work? Did you enjoy the work during TC, 1 pqe days and now ? Any difference work satisfaction wise?
1pqe and now not much diff.
I don’t really enjoy my work to be frank. it is just work that’s all. what keeps me going is the money and I M too lazy to make the switch. And I have brought in clients so I am more secured. Those who just work day and night without any client referral got it much worse.

actually a lot of my peers have left. i doubt any of my cohort will be staying beyond 5pqe mark.

then the seniors will just get another fresh batch of 1pqe year after year. torture them and make them quit the practice early on. It is a cycle that has been repeating recent years.

I wonder if lawsoc or anyone else knows what’s going on?