Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 25-12-2020, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If I'm 2PQE and I switch to being legal counsel for some time (say a year), how hard is it to move back to practice? I've seen multiple Linkedin profiles where people moved back to law firms but just wondering whether this is generally achievable without connections (assuming that one actually performed well as a lawyer and wasn't asked to leave).

Thanks!
Get lost, we don't want you back

Old 25-12-2020, 02:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If I'm 2PQE and I switch to being legal counsel for some time (say a year), how hard is it to move back to practice? I've seen multiple Linkedin profiles where people moved back to law firms but just wondering whether this is generally achievable without connections (assuming that one actually performed well as a lawyer and wasn't asked to leave).

Thanks!
It honestly depends on quite a few things. First, how long you leave for. From what I hear, if you departure doesn't go beyond a year and a few months, generally you can return without any PQE discount. But this is at the discretion of the hiring partner. Second, your job scope when you leave. If you go into a job which is highly relevant to the practice area, you might even be able to gain some PQE when you return (e.g. you are in M&A, go to work in SGX for a while). This, your area of practice itself. It is highly unlikely to return with no PQE discount for liti.

Old 25-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It honestly depends on quite a few things. First, how long you leave for. From what I hear, if you departure doesn't go beyond a year and a few months, generally you can return without any PQE discount. But this is at the discretion of the hiring partner. Second, your job scope when you leave. If you go into a job which is highly relevant to the practice area, you might even be able to gain some PQE when you return (e.g. you are in M&A, go to work in SGX for a while). This, your area of practice itself. It is highly unlikely to return with no PQE discount for liti.
thanks! I'm actually graduating from law school soon, not actually currently in practice, just curious about the possible career trajectories one can have. so i appreciate your input.

Old 25-12-2020, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

What’s considered a good bonus for firm with no front loaded salary and no AWS?
Old 28-12-2020, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
How about Macquarie University in Australia
It is not even recognised under the LPA schedule. Lmao
Old 28-12-2020, 05:31 PM
Unregistered

Smile M&A depts in SG

I'm applying for an internship / TC in the M&A depts in A&G, WongP, Baker and CC. Anyone care to comment about these depts?

Rankings by Chambers and Legal500 seems to put A&G and WongP neck and neck for local deals. Baker seems to be in an odd position - second-tier but it handles both local and foreign deals.

CC is undoubtedly top tier for foreign deals but I'm worried about slow career progression within an international firm and limited exit options if I want to remain and practice in Singapore afterwards (home is home, after all). But I'm not sure if this is a real concern. Seniors I've spoken to suggest that lateralling into an intl firm is a lucrative career move that many Big 4 assocs eventually succumb to for the higher pay - at the cost of significantly reducing their chances of partnership.

Would also appreciate any info on the pay structure at Baker vs A&G/WongP. Last I checked, Baker was paying about 7K for fresh grads. Would it be worth giving up the initial 2K salary jump to work with the top local M&A depts at A&G / WongP? I'm in this for the long haul so I don't mind an initial 'pay cut' if it means better training and deal exposure.

Appreciate any and all responses.

Old 29-12-2020, 07:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What’s considered a good bonus for firm with no front loaded salary and no AWS?
I got 2 months bonus and $500 increment. Not sure whether you'll call that good.
Old 29-12-2020, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm applying for an internship / TC in the M&A depts in A&G, WongP, Baker and CC. Anyone care to comment about these depts?

Rankings by Chambers and Legal500 seems to put A&G and WongP neck and neck for local deals. Baker seems to be in an odd position - second-tier but it handles both local and foreign deals.

CC is undoubtedly top tier for foreign deals but I'm worried about slow career progression within an international firm and limited exit options if I want to remain and practice in Singapore afterwards (home is home, after all). But I'm not sure if this is a real concern. Seniors I've spoken to suggest that lateralling into an intl firm is a lucrative career move that many Big 4 assocs eventually succumb to for the higher pay - at the cost of significantly reducing their chances of partnership.

Would also appreciate any info on the pay structure at Baker vs A&G/WongP. Last I checked, Baker was paying about 7K for fresh grads. Would it be worth giving up the initial 2K salary jump to work with the top local M&A depts at A&G / WongP? I'm in this for the long haul so I don't mind an initial 'pay cut' if it means better training and deal exposure.

Appreciate any and all responses.
You have a pretty good grasp of the different considerations. Assuming you manage to secure internships/TCs at all these firms, I would add:

(1) It is rare that an assoc moves from an intl firm to a local one, while it is very common to see the reverse. This should give you an idea of how enticing intl firm life is.

(2) The training at AG/WP is far better than in Baker. Personally, I would take that over the better pay in the latter any day. But it might matter more to you depending on your personal circumstances.
Old 29-12-2020, 11:27 PM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
You have a pretty good grasp of the different considerations. Assuming you manage to secure internships/TCs at all these firms, I would add:

(1) It is rare that an assoc moves from an intl firm to a local one, while it is very common to see the reverse. This should give you an idea of how enticing intl firm life is.

(2) The training at AG/WP is far better than in Baker. Personally, I would take that over the better pay in the latter any day. But it might matter more to you depending on your personal circumstances.
I echo 2. Heard so much abt Baker MnA. Super high attrition on junior levels and even on SA or JP level. Lack of training / trainers. U go there u are likely to end up like one of them or u leave. Better off at local big 4. Too much opportunity cost there.
Old 30-12-2020, 12:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I echo 2. Heard so much abt Baker MnA. Super high attrition on junior levels and even on SA or JP level. The department head who is also the MP has no direction, fixated on meaningless minutiae and pretentious. Lack of training / trainers. U go there u are likely to end up like one of them or u leave. Better off at local big 4. Too much opportunity cost there.
Who's this dept head?