Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 26-10-2020, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So many other industries for ex-lawyers to venture into, the world is your oyster. Heck, even the much maligned CECA allows you to work in India! Ex-NUS law scholar Alvin Tan is living the dream in the USA. He is doing an AMA in EDMW currently if anyone is tired of law and keen to break into alternative careers.

"without EDMW, I would still be stuck in Malaysia today or at best working as a lawyer in Singapore (which would have made me utterly miserable)."

s://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/%5Bgpgt%5D-jhk-alvin-tan-chiobu-amdl-kym-6399190.html
Give the man a tiger beer! What a fantastic comeback story (no pun intended) for this former NUS law kid

Old 26-10-2020, 11:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks Alvin. May I inquire if you are hiring assistants or co-actors? Should I send you my CV?
Any thoughts on Alvin's take on sinkie women? Is there a need to reform WC?

'(sinkie) women, instead of procreating based on their sexual selective instinct, then procreated based on the need for economic survival. Normalizing marriage meant a one-to-one pairing between men and women. So the men are happy, because sex is almost guaranteed, but the women definitely aren't, because honestly a lot of these women would rather die than to have their wombs polluted by the weak beta recessive genes of their beta simp husbands. But no choice, have to survive financially, right?'

Old 27-10-2020, 12:44 AM
Unregistered

Serious question why are you so obsessed with the Women's Charter

I know it's just you this one obviously dude who keeps posting about it every now and then

Why

Old 27-10-2020, 02:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm the person who responded. Also am not the toxic dude who trolls non stop in this group. Please don't let these people stop you from asking questions. I've been lucky to meet some nice seniors out there. I promise there really are some nice people in the industry who won't treat you like ****.

Mpilay is well known for disputes in the industry. The main reason why his name doesn't appear quite as often in Singapore jurisprudence is because he does a lot of arbitration work, which is almost always confidential. Most standard form construction contracts (FIDIC, PSSCOC, SIA) have arbitration clauses in them.

Mpillay's specialty is in construction, which as i've explained before in this forum i find to be interesting and rewarding, but slow in terms of progression. You can have a look at the profiles of the assocs/snr assocs in his team. You'll realize that many of them remain at the same "title" for many years.

SH is a well-known brand name firm in corp/com work. I heard that they retrenched a bunch of their Hong Kong associates in the last 2 years or so. While i don't know what this means for the Singapore office (I don't believe retrenchments have occurred here), it's a little worrisome.

Thank you so much for your kindness and for your response!
Old 27-10-2020, 07:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Serious question why are you so obsessed with the Women's Charter

I know it's just you this one obviously dude who keeps posting about it every now and then

Why
Probably a towkay who lost half of his assets to the Hermes bag toting ex-wife courtesy of the Women's Charter lol
Old 27-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Unregistered

In a thread about lawyers salaries u gotta be brave to admit tt u practise fam law kek

Old 27-10-2020, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
In a thread about lawyers salaries u gotta be brave to admit tt u practise fam law kek
Do you know how much kth charges?
LOL.
Old 27-10-2020, 10:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Do you know how much kth charges?
LOL.
Third Charge

That you, Koh Tien Hua, an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore, are charged that on or about 28 December 2017, you did omit to mention in your letter dated 28 December 2017 addressed to the Attorney-Generalís Chambers that you had, on or around 26 December 2017, disseminated the brief grounds of decision dated 26 December 2017 issued by the District Judge Shobha G Nair in Originating Summons (Adoption) No 355 of 2014 to persons who were not party to the proceedings (i.e., members of the media) despite a direct query from the Attorney-Generalís Chambers on the same in its letter dated 28 December 2017 addressed to you, and by such omission, conveyed the inaccurate impression that you and/or your firm were not involved in and/or responsible for the dissemination of the brief grounds to the members of the media, such dishonest conduct amounting to a violation of the principles set out in Rule 9(1) of the Legal Profession (Professional Conduct) Rules (Cap 161, S 706/2015) regarding a legal practitionerís duty to always be truthful and accurate in his communications with any person involved in or associated with any proceedings before a court, and therefore amounting to improper conduct as an advocate and solicitor within meaning of Section 83(2)(b)(i) of the Legal Profession Act (Cap 161, 2009 Rev Ed).

The Law Society of Singapore v Koh Tien Hua [2020] SGDT 6

If interested read [52]-[57] and draw your own conclusions. I have no opinion on this matter.
Old 27-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Third Charge

That you, Koh Tien Hua, an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore, are charged that on or about 28 December 2017, you did omit to mention in your letter dated 28 December 2017 addressed to the Attorney-Generalís Chambers that you had, on or around 26 December 2017, disseminated the brief grounds of decision dated 26 December 2017 issued by the District Judge Shobha G Nair in Originating Summons (Adoption) No 355 of 2014 to persons who were not party to the proceedings (i.e., members of the media) despite a direct query from the Attorney-Generalís Chambers on the same in its letter dated 28 December 2017 addressed to you, and by such omission, conveyed the inaccurate impression that you and/or your firm were not involved in and/or responsible for the dissemination of the brief grounds to the members of the media, such dishonest conduct amounting to a violation of the principles set out in Rule 9(1) of the Legal Profession (Professional Conduct) Rules (Cap 161, S 706/2015) regarding a legal practitionerís duty to always be truthful and accurate in his communications with any person involved in or associated with any proceedings before a court, and therefore amounting to improper conduct as an advocate and solicitor within meaning of Section 83(2)(b)(i) of the Legal Profession Act (Cap 161, 2009 Rev Ed).

The Law Society of Singapore v Koh Tien Hua [2020] SGDT 6

If interested read [52]-[57] and draw your own conclusions. I have no opinion on this matter.
still billing....
Old 27-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Unregistered

anybody know what are the potential international law careers and what's the pay like?

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app