Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-05-2012 02:35 PM

Hi all, a query.

Assuming I land an offer in say, the Legal Service, conditional upon graduation with Second Upper.

But I'm not confident of maintaining that class of honours and I would definitely be looking at other opportunities. Am I obliged to inform the other firms that I am applying to about the current offer that I have? And what are the repercussions if I break that conditional offer, before graduation?

Thanks!

Unregistered 05-05-2012 02:46 PM

Pvt law school

Hi all is it advisable to take a diploma from a private law school here followed by a degree from the same school? I'm aware that under the bar council, graduates from these schools can't practice as lawyers here. What other opportunities would I have besides being a lawyer after graduating with a degree from one of these private schools? Thanks in advanced to those who took time to read my post and reply!

Unregistered 06-05-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24483)
Hi all is it advisable to take a diploma from a private law school here followed by a degree from the same school? I'm aware that under the bar council, graduates from these schools can't practice as lawyers here. What other opportunities would I have besides being a lawyer after graduating with a degree from one of these private schools? Thanks in advanced to those who took time to read my post and reply!

Essentially your only option is to be a paralegal or secretary.

The only opportunity is to take up UOL DL program and do well enough to transfer to a recognised university in UK. Else, if you wish to be admitted to the bar, go for one of the lesser-known UK/Aus universities that are on MiniLaw's list.

Intercontinental 26-06-2012 08:08 AM

If I were you, I would definitely consider at the same time other opportunities. I suppose you could tell if the other firms do ask.

I can’t see any repercussions in breaking the original offer unless there is something extraordinary that the Legal Service may have imposed on you.

That said, it probably isn’t very nice but so is not being able to have a job should you not get a 2nd Upper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24462)
Hi all, a query.

Assuming I land an offer in say, the Legal Service, conditional upon graduation with Second Upper.

But I'm not confident of maintaining that class of honours and I would definitely be looking at other opportunities. Am I obliged to inform the other firms that I am applying to about the current offer that I have? And what are the repercussions if I break that conditional offer, before graduation?

Thanks!

Intercontinental 26-06-2012 08:19 AM

JP as a 6th year-er in a mid-sized firm is not too bad. Does it feel like there is more responsibility / autonomy or is it no different from being an associate/senior associate?

I doubt your peers in the big firms are earning 1.5 times more but I also doubt that for most of them, their souls are really their own.

It looks like you are in a nice place!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23052)
Let me bring life to this old thread by giving some real world data.

I am in my 6th year of this profession, just been made a salaried junior partner in a medium sized local firm. Average pay is about 10k a month not including bonuses, and there is no CPF (apparently partners are considered self-employed).

My boss doesn't own my soul, but my hours are erratic, on occasion working 12-16 hours a day (not always).

I am sure that my peers in bigger firms are earning 1.5 times more, but they are also probably working longer hours.

Unregistered 01-07-2012 02:04 AM

SA

Senior Associate at international law firm (based in Singapore), 8th year from graduation, $25,000 per month (excluding bonus).

Unregistered 02-07-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26271)
Senior Associate at international law firm (based in Singapore), 8th year from graduation, $25,000 per month (excluding bonus).

clifford chance?

Intercontinental 03-07-2012 11:54 AM

That's a neat figure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26271)

Unregistered 07-08-2012 11:06 PM

what's the starting pay for the legal service? 2nd upper?

do they accept grads with 2nd lower?

thanks in advance.

Unregistered 07-08-2012 11:08 PM

enjoys donedcg

to the SA in the international firm: any advice on how to get to such a position?