Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 03-09-2020, 01:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, was wondering how long the big four firms take to get back to TC applicants with regards to interview dates and the TC offers/rejections post-interview. Also wondering what are the partners looking for during the interview, and would appreciate any info, ty
First things first, a NUS/SMU degree will open doors for you. Failing which hopefully you are not dumb enough to be a KCL graduate. Grades are secondary to the former because KCL FCH don't mean jackshiit.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Doing a quick market survey: what is the starting pay for NQs in 2020?

Old 03-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello, was wondering how long the big four firms take to get back to TC applicants with regards to interview dates and the TC offers/rejections post-interview. Also wondering what are the partners looking for during the interview, and would appreciate any info, ty
Be honest about what you're looking for, especially if you have not indicated a preference for a team/specialty. Do your homework on the firm you're applying for. I tell the kiddos often that it's not enough to look at the firm website. You should also take the time to look into whether the team you're applying for has had recently published decisions, whether the partner is in any steering committee for any proposed legislation, if they've given any groundbreaking speeches..... you get the gist

Don't be over eager. I would be weary of bosses who want you to swear your life to them on being offered a TC.

If you're asked about yourself - I am generally more interested in candidates who can peak my interest. Not so much about what schools/ccas but about other things you're passionate about and have done in life. It can be as stupid as having an interest in K-pop, kdrama and learning the korean language because of its history. The generic ones i've heard are gyming/reading ect ect and as much as it may be true, it does not spark interest. Also, wrt community service - i don't like it when kiddos do something as part of their school activities and use that as a leg up. Its not.

People say be yourself. I find that to be bad advice. What i will say is that passion, interest and knowledge are things that can easily be faked. Just practice.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Be honest about what you're looking for, especially if you have not indicated a preference for a team/specialty. Do your homework on the firm you're applying for. I tell the kiddos often that it's not enough to look at the firm website. You should also take the time to look into whether the team you're applying for has had recently published decisions, whether the partner is in any steering committee for any proposed legislation, if they've given any groundbreaking speeches..... you get the gist

Don't be over eager. I would be weary of bosses who want you to swear your life to them on being offered a TC.

If you're asked about yourself - I am generally more interested in candidates who can peak my interest. Not so much about what schools/ccas but about other things you're passionate about and have done in life. It can be as stupid as having an interest in K-pop, kdrama and learning the korean language because of its history. The generic ones i've heard are gyming/reading ect ect and as much as it may be true, it does not spark interest. Also, wrt community service - i don't like it when kiddos do something as part of their school activities and use that as a leg up. Its not.

People say be yourself. I find that to be bad advice. What i will say is that passion, interest and knowledge are things that can easily be faked. Just practice.
Agreed.

"Be yourself" is a terrible way of saying "just relax". If you are nervous or putting up an act, it will show. Of all the people I've interviewed, only 2 were calm and smooth. The rest were either on edge or obviously trying to fake their way through. As the kids say, props for trying. But I'm not gonna make an offer just cos you tried.

If you're not what people are looking for, that's just too bad. But I get that a decade of Ten Year Series practice might make that hard for Sinkies to accept. Some people like to run away with the, let me just contort myself into a box for the interview. Once I get the job, I can let things slide. No.

I fired a guy who turned out to be nothing like what he was at the interview. I'm not even talking about kpop or whatever hobbies - he mugged the bare minimum on my practice area to get by. After he came onboard he screwed up some of my files. More fool me for not grilling him harder then.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Agreed.

"Be yourself" is a terrible way of saying "just relax". If you are nervous or putting up an act, it will show. Of all the people I've interviewed, only 2 were calm and smooth. The rest were either on edge or obviously trying to fake their way through. As the kids say, props for trying. But I'm not gonna make an offer just cos you tried.

If you're not what people are looking for, that's just too bad. But I get that a decade of Ten Year Series practice might make that hard for Sinkies to accept. Some people like to run away with the, let me just contort myself into a box for the interview. Once I get the job, I can let things slide. No.

I fired a guy who turned out to be nothing like what he was at the interview. I'm not even talking about kpop or whatever hobbies - he mugged the bare minimum on my practice area to get by. After he came onboard he screwed up some of my files. More fool me for not grilling him harder then.
OP was talking about interviews for TCs, not peeps with pqes. There's really not much technical stuff to ask about at this stage.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Doing a quick market survey: what is the starting pay for NQs in 2020?
Small firm: 2.5-3k
Mid size: 3.5-4.5k
Big: 5-6k

Old 03-09-2020, 11:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
zhun bo...para earn more than small firm assoc ?
Old 04-09-2020, 09:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
NQ here. Just started at a small firm also, offered 3k. Checking around with other friends and this is what I gathered:

A small firm offered 2.8K
A start-up offered 3.5k
A mid-sized firm offered 3k to 5 trainees (3 of whom are not intending to stay cos of poor working hours)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
NQ here. Just started at a small firm also, offered 3k. Checking around with other friends and this is what I gathered:

A small firm offered 2.8K
A start-up offered 3.5k
A mid-sized firm offered 3k to 5 trainees (3 of whom are not intending to stay cos of poor working hours)
Wow. How times have changed. Not few years ago 4k was the minimum no? Mid sized meaning SLB, TSMP, CNP or smaller?

Are you doing crim / community law?
Old 04-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow. How times have changed. Not few years ago 4k was the minimum no? Mid sized meaning SLB, TSMP, CNP or smaller?

Are you doing crim / community law?
Most firms are taking precautions in case things get worse. The drop in pay is not surprising.
I heard one big4 is retrenching and other haven't been quick to offer retentions. Hearsay tho - others who know, pls share.