Lawyer Salary - Page 753 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #7521 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the focus will probably be on the trainee that is being paid more i think, but if you prove to be worthwhile, then you too should probably get trained.
So at the start thereís already discrimination? Wtf. Then why choose the crappy candidate in the first place.

Reply With Quote
  #7522 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Admissions query

Hey! Iíve heard around that people can be privately called instead of waiting for the mass call. I would like to get qualified sooner upon finishing the PTC and have two questions:

1) what is the procedure to file for a private call?
2) will I be able to choose a date for the private call?

I have tried to do some research on this but didnít manage to find anything useful. Would appreciate some advice here! Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #7523 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 07:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey! Iíve heard around that people can be privately called instead of waiting for the mass call. I would like to get qualified sooner upon finishing the PTC and have two questions:

1) what is the procedure to file for a private call?
2) will I be able to choose a date for the private call?

I have tried to do some research on this but didnít manage to find anything useful. Would appreciate some advice here! Thanks.
Ask Sile maybe? More accurate or law society of Sg

Reply With Quote
  #7524 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey! Iíve heard around that people can be privately called instead of waiting for the mass call. I would like to get qualified sooner upon finishing the PTC and have two questions:

1) what is the procedure to file for a private call?
2) will I be able to choose a date for the private call?

I have tried to do some research on this but didnít manage to find anything useful. Would appreciate some advice here! Thanks.
I have never heard the phrase "private call" before.

There are multiple call dates a year. Mass call just happens to be the one which usually has the most number of new lawyers by far, so SILE will go ahead and arrange certain things (such as a common mover). But the procedure for all the call dates (including mass call) is exactly the same. You can find it here: s://.supremecourt.gov.sg/hearing/admission-as-advocates-and-solicitors
Reply With Quote
  #7525 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey! Iíve heard around that people can be privately called instead of waiting for the mass call. I would like to get qualified sooner upon finishing the PTC and have two questions:

1) what is the procedure to file for a private call?
2) will I be able to choose a date for the private call?

I have tried to do some research on this but didnít manage to find anything useful. Would appreciate some advice here! Thanks.
The idea behind the AAS OS is that lawyers to be get a taste of what it's like to interact with the court and registry system. It is more effective than Part B FMS at this. You have to research the ROC and other documentation that SILE will give you.

And there are real world repercusssions for failing to keep to these things. Affidavits rejected, timelines missed, sometimes even both. Can delay your call date and as I'm sure SILE may have warned on the Part B lectures, even prevent your call entirely. SILE must have given examples of people dishonestly backdating call documents and not getting called as a consequence,

Advice is: research this yourself. When things go sideways later on in your career, you bear the blame. Don't come back to the senior who told you, eh I always like that one. So it's OK, don't worry. Judge doesn't care, client doesn't care. And word gets around (yes even among judges) that you're incompetent.

So don't be lazy. Don't always ask around for answers from colleagues. Sometimes they arr kind enough. Don't expect that they will always be. You may be wrestling with subs at 2am, and no one's there to pick up your calls to prevent you from getting fked by the court in the morning.

Deal with it. A lot of practice is dealing with uncertainty and risk. No one's going to hold your hand and say it's going to be fine. No one's going to give you the MCQ answers before the hearing. YOU are doing that for the client. If you don't like it, as so many people in this thread have bemoaned it, maybe you should reconsider filing the call papers.

Don't ever ask this in here again.
Reply With Quote
  #7526 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

chill mate. While what you wrote made sense, you could be kinder with your words.
Reply With Quote

  #7527 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Do you mean part call? Iím sure your elite legal skills can unearth the answers for you...

Also, as to differentiated trainee pay in the same firm - that sucks if true. Not few years ago RLT and PTC trainees were all paid the same. Personally, just suck it up and prove your worth. It will be a painful (though barely in the grand scheme of things) but at least short six months. But have a think about the financial health of an organization that has to scrimp a couple of hundee sticks from its trainees... be good if you can name and shame.
Reply With Quote
  #7528 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The idea behind the AAS OS is that lawyers to be get a taste of what it's like to interact with the court and registry system. It is more effective than Part B FMS at this. You have to research the ROC and other documentation that SILE will give you.

And there are real world repercusssions for failing to keep to these things. Affidavits rejected, timelines missed, sometimes even both. Can delay your call date and as I'm sure SILE may have warned on the Part B lectures, even prevent your call entirely. SILE must have given examples of people dishonestly backdating call documents and not getting called as a consequence,

Advice is: research this yourself. When things go sideways later on in your career, you bear the blame. Don't come back to the senior who told you, eh I always like that one. So it's OK, don't worry. Judge doesn't care, client doesn't care. And word gets around (yes even among judges) that you're incompetent.

So don't be lazy. Don't always ask around for answers from colleagues. Sometimes they arr kind enough. Don't expect that they will always be. You may be wrestling with subs at 2am, and no one's there to pick up your calls to prevent you from getting fked by the court in the morning.

Deal with it. A lot of practice is dealing with uncertainty and risk. No one's going to hold your hand and say it's going to be fine. No one's going to give you the MCQ answers before the hearing. YOU are doing that for the client. If you don't like it, as so many people in this thread have bemoaned it, maybe you should reconsider filing the call papers.

Don't ever ask this in here again.
Disgrunted KCL grad who couldnt get a MC TC
Reply With Quote
  #7529 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There are 3 types of calls:

1) Part Call: You can apply for part call if you are 3 months into PTC and you have passed your Part B exams on the 1st attempt. But usually, applications are seldom because it means you will get arrowed by many partners to attend court on their behalf.

2) Monthly Call: These are the monthly call dates that are shown on the Supreme Court's website. Note that there are no monthly calls in June & December. Note that you have to get your own mover and some movers will charge a fee.

3) Mass Call: Once a year and the call with the most admissions. Most trainees will wait till Mass Call as the hassle is much lesser since a common mover has been arranged per batch. Also, most want to "graduate" together with their university batch mates.
Reply With Quote
  #7530 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2020, 10:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There are 3 types of calls:

1) Part Call: You can apply for part call if you are 3 months into PTC and you have passed your Part B exams on the 1st attempt. But usually, applications are seldom because it means you will get arrowed by many partners to attend court on their behalf.

2) Monthly Call: These are the monthly call dates that are shown on the Supreme Court's website. Note that there are no monthly calls in June & December. Note that you have to get your own mover and some movers will charge a fee.

3) Mass Call: Once a year and the call with the most admissions. Most trainees will wait till Mass Call as the hassle is much lesser since a common mover has been arranged per batch. Also, most want to "graduate" together with their university batch mates.

Thank you for putting this out so clear and concisely!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,865 Replies, 11,548,050 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,121 Replies, 2,887,890 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,365 Replies, 5,659,634 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
474 Replies, 271,377 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,633 Replies, 4,191,595 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
367 Replies, 647,480 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,153 Replies, 9,297,298 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
270 Replies, 307,171 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,869 Replies, 2,707,000 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,102 Replies, 553,558 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,453 Replies, 1,089,406 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
223 Replies, 227,179 Views
Calculate Net Worth and Benchmark... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 19,150 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,849 Replies, 4,164,514 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
72 Replies, 150,291 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,129 Replies, 1,666,651 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
141 Replies, 190,396 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,505 Replies, 4,175,166 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,571 Replies, 1,928,447 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
402 Replies, 192,569 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,698 Replies, 3,341,259 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,276 Replies, 986,698 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
389 Replies, 419,402 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
491 Replies, 226,511 Views
how to earn money at this age? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 72,437 Views
td securities technology graduate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 8,545 Views
Talent Management vs Marketing,...
5 Replies, 3,815 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
130 Replies, 38,574 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
865 Replies, 409,472 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
962 Replies, 750,785 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2