Lawyer Salary - Page 669 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #6681 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why do you wish to stay in private practice? That would be my first question. Most people stay in private practice because they see it as good money or a viable future career path (partner). I can think of very few other reasons why people stay in private practice.

So here is my two cents. I'm the OP you quoted by the way.

If your end game is to go in-house anyway, then you might as well move now. Regressing in your PQE means taking a somewhat major paycut [pqe3-NQ] and you'll need another 3 to 4 years to match what you're currently earning.

And what happens if in the next 6mths to a year you decide you don't like private practice corp - you will be in an extremely weak negotiation position going in-house since your last drawn pay would be the equivalent to that of an NQ-1pqe. You would also not be eligible to apply for corp-intensive in-house roles, since you do not have the requisite experience in this area of law (at least from a HR perspective). What this means is that you will likely be relying on your liti exp/localisation to pivot into an in-house role - basically, you will be in the exact same position you're in right now - except with a really shitty last drawn pay.

Going in-house now would allow you to at least negotiate for a 20% pay rise from what you're currently earning (maybe not so much in the current economy, but i'd say you still have a good shot at getting a decent pay increase).

Ofc, many will argue that the pay increases for in-house counsels are much slower than private practice. This is true, i went from practice-in-house-practice.... but many of my peers who left practice at the same stage as you still manage to negotiate a decent salary at their respective PQEs. Think 4-5pqe at 8-10k and 6-8 PQE at 10-12K (pre-covid).

It would be interesting to know what you decide in the end... do keep us updated!
8-10k at 4 to 5 PQE is not decent, its bad, you can do so much better than that. If you're intent on doing corp you must go all the way - do a few years of practice in intl firms first, and then negotiate for your in house pay from that higher level. If you have experience in intl firms, your pay will be far better, the opportunities for advancement in an in house role are much greater.

Reply With Quote
  #6682 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Future trainee here. What are the essential excel skills and MS word skills we need to know to survive practice? I'm unfortunately not the best at these and am looking to brush up before training, but not sure how much excel we need to know or how excel is used in the law context

Reply With Quote
  #6683 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Future trainee here. What are the essential excel skills and MS word skills we need to know to survive practice? I'm unfortunately not the best at these and am looking to brush up before training, but not sure how much excel we need to know or how excel is used in the law context
LOL Funniest Post.

Uh.

1. Justify

2. Control F

3. Convert to PDF

4. Redact

5. Paginate

6. Simple Excel like = SUM ( )

Reply With Quote
  #6684 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 10:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
8-10k at 4 to 5 PQE is not decent, its bad, you can do so much better than that. If you're intent on doing corp you must go all the way - do a few years of practice in intl firms first, and then negotiate for your in house pay from that higher level. If you have experience in intl firms, your pay will be far better, the opportunities for advancement in an in house role are much greater.
Yeah but this OP is quite right to say that if your goal is in-house do it on the basis of litigation and not corporate.
Reply With Quote
  #6685 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Future trainee here. What are the essential excel skills and MS word skills we need to know to survive practice? I'm unfortunately not the best at these and am looking to brush up before training, but not sure how much excel we need to know or how excel is used in the law context
Excel for capitalisation table usually, must know how to use auto formulas
Reply With Quote
  #6686 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Whoever took the time on Fatherís Day to write this, excellent account.
Didn't a UK Queen's Counsel LSE undergraduate and LSE LLM professor who's known for his wit and sense of humor take over a prestigious role at NUS law this month?

One less reason to choose LSE over NUS, seeing as he has decided to share his knowledge outside the LSE circle. I envy the fact that you paid for lectures with him for less tuition fees.
Reply With Quote

  #6687 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Didn't a UK Queen's Counsel LSE undergraduate and LSE LLM professor who's known for his wit and sense of humor take over a prestigious role at NUS law this month?

One less reason to choose LSE over NUS, seeing as he has decided to share his knowledge outside the LSE circle. I envy the fact that you paid for lectures with him for less tuition fees.
Any prestgious KCL LLMs made it in Sg? I am contemplating doing an LLM considering that its so easy to print a first, however i am concerned about the degree mill status.
Reply With Quote
  #6688 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi I've been seeing a lot of posts about how a UK LLM is not very useful, but other than not being super useful is there any harm in doing a LLM? Any reason why I shouldn't do it?

(I mean more like any prejudices resulting from it, not things like cost - am very fortunate that money won't really be a problem, parents are very supportive and I've checked and I can pay for it myself too)

Also because I always see someone bashing on students trying to cure undergrad grades with an LLM, before that person starts scolding me I'm at a good 2:1 now, so I'm not trying to do an LLM to do that. I'm just very interested to study overseas and get a masters because I'm not sure when else I will have to do one and I feel like I'd be happy to do it now, so I just want to check if there are any negative implications/negative mindsets towards it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #6689 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Any prestgious KCL LLMs made it in Sg? I am contemplating doing an LLM considering that its so easy to print a first, however i am concerned about the degree mill status.
Can't advise sorry.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #6690 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I've been seeing a lot of posts about how a UK LLM is not very useful, but other than not being super useful is there any harm in doing a LLM? Any reason why I shouldn't do it?

(I mean more like any prejudices resulting from it, not things like cost - am very fortunate that money won't really be a problem, parents are very supportive and I've checked and I can pay for it myself too)

Also because I always see someone bashing on students trying to cure undergrad grades with an LLM, before that person starts scolding me I'm at a good 2:1 now, so I'm not trying to do an LLM to do that. I'm just very interested to study overseas and get a masters because I'm not sure when else I will have to do one and I feel like I'd be happy to do it now, so I just want to check if there are any negative implications/negative mindsets towards it.

Thank you!
I'm nowhere near senior enough to have any actual insight into what goes into hiring decisions, but as someone who was also considering an LLM, the advice that I've gleaned from the earlier posts is that the main negative is the opportunity cost of the time spent on the Masters that could've been time spent in practice (provided practice is the end goal). So just make sure you're willing to benchmark yourself against equivalent actual PQE peers as opposed to against the batch you did undergrad with.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,389 Replies, 12,538,586 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,085 Replies, 6,785,821 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 15,864 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,492 Replies, 1,391,117 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,921 Replies, 1,070,311 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,800 Replies, 1,428,673 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,536 Replies, 2,358,376 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
175 Replies, 218,003 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,482 Replies, 2,234,902 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,312 Replies, 3,437,114 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,770 Replies, 5,056,515 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,339 Replies, 1,155,062 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,788 Replies, 1,561,935 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,272 Replies, 628,107 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
141 Replies, 52,807 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
805 Replies, 377,202 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,092 Replies, 10,408,951 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,421 Replies, 4,824,101 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,857 Replies, 4,695,709 Views
merit increment in civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 294,512 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,127 Replies, 3,770,661 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,478 Replies, 799,079 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
911 Replies, 520,877 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
717 Replies, 403,557 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,172 Replies, 652,633 Views
Stat Board (LTA, DSTA, HTX, DSO)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
39 Replies, 44,164 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
490 Replies, 636,387 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
994 Replies, 820,041 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
74 Replies, 168,514 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 715,718 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2