Lawyer Salary - Page 561 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5601 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2020, 02:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone knows the retention rate for the law firm at MBFC tower 1



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #5602 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2020, 07:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can anyone confirm Lee and Lee did not retain anyone and ShookLin retained half of their trainees?
Harry E retained a few.

Withers and Lee & Lee have yet to announce retention.

Reply With Quote
  #5603 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2020, 10:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Next Steps

So can any seniors outline next steps for trainees who have not ben retained?

Reply With Quote
  #5604 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Depends on what big 4. I hear two out of 4 of the smaller Big 4s have lower r rates
ď4 of the smaller Big 4sĒ = all of the ďBig 4sĒ
Reply With Quote
  #5605 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2020, 11:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So can any seniors outline next steps for trainees who have not ben retained?
I'm not a senior. But here are the laws of the post-pandemic world, well, what I make of it:

1. If you're in corporate, go to litigation

2. If you're in litigation, go to litigation

3. If you're from a SME, apply to a smaller SME.

4. If you're from an international SME, but on the Singapore side / do SG work, you're still the same as (3). Working on a few matters here and there or assisting - same as (3).

5. If you're from an international SME, but do international work, apply to MBFC T1.

While the world is indeed your oyster and you are advised against a weak mindset, excuses about the economy aside, they'll still prefer that you were retained and finding a new job than otherwise. I'm sorry guys, just being practical.

This Covid sucks for everyone, and prejudices a lot of good and talented trainees. But this is my two cents. You're not screwed if you're not in a SME or international office of an international SME, slightly screwed if you're in a Singapore SME and very screwed if you're from a small SME.

The truth of the matter is that there are more candidates than there are jobs out there. Much, much more, given that retention rates amongst the mid sized have fallen, and some firms not retaining at all
Add that to the glut.

Now's the time to tap on who you know rather than what you know. Hope everyone gets out fine.

If you still have Part B though, don't worry market will get better. If you need a job this year, this is a bad time. Be realistic about your options. The firms who have retained have limited spaces. And the firms who have retained 0 have absolutely no space and may cut costs/people. It is all a numbers game, dollars and cents.
Reply With Quote
  #5606 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2020, 12:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm not a senior. But here are the laws of the post-pandemic world, well, what I make of it:

1. If you're in corporate, go to litigation

2. If you're in litigation, go to litigation

3. If you're from a SME, apply to a smaller SME.

4. If you're from an international SME, but on the Singapore side / do SG work, you're still the same as (3). Working on a few matters here and there or assisting - same as (3).

5. If you're from an international SME, but do international work, apply to MBFC T1.

While the world is indeed your oyster and you are advised against a weak mindset, excuses about the economy aside, they'll still prefer that you were retained and finding a new job than otherwise. I'm sorry guys, just being practical.

This Covid sucks for everyone, and prejudices a lot of good and talented trainees. But this is my two cents. You're not screwed if you're not in a SME or international office of an international SME, slightly screwed if you're in a Singapore SME and very screwed if you're from a small SME.

The truth of the matter is that there are more candidates than there are jobs out there. Much, much more, given that retention rates amongst the mid sized have fallen, and some firms not retaining at all
Add that to the glut.

Now's the time to tap on who you know rather than what you know. Hope everyone gets out fine.

If you still have Part B though, don't worry market will get better. If you need a job this year, this is a bad time. Be realistic about your options. The firms who have retained have limited spaces. And the firms who have retained 0 have absolutely no space and may cut costs/people. It is all a numbers game, dollars and cents.
And of course I say this with the obvious that the only thing your employer will look at / bin is where you trained at. Good grades help, but only to an extent since you are now dealing with the practice of law and not (mostly) what an academic thinks.

They will look at (i) where you trained at as an indicator of your usefulness (ii) what your bosses thought when they didn't retain you (iii) your reasons (iv) your practical track record. You can have a FCH and lose every case, or a 2.2 and win every case you work on. Might be luck, or might be you have something the other guy doesn't.

Of course, if the place has a poor track record of retention the question on everyone's mind would be why you doomed yourself.
Reply With Quote

  #5607 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2020, 12:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I graduated from a local uni. I have been studying hard, not travelling for any exchange programs, only to be trained at a mid sized firm and I have not been retained.

I know I have problems finding an associate position. Now, I envy those party goers/travel lust in law school who also studied and enjoyed themselves. I know of a lot of people who went overseas and had fun but still managed to get retained in big fours/int firms, maybe employers like them. Maybe they are got more worldly and street smart from having different experiences. I donít know.

I just feel that no matter how much I study I still canít beat those party goers/wanderlusts. Why is life unfair.
Reply With Quote
  #5608 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2020, 02:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I graduated from a local uni. I have been studying hard, not travelling for any exchange programs, only to be trained at a mid sized firm and I have not been retained.

I know I have problems finding an associate position. Now, I envy those party goers/travel lust in law school who also studied and enjoyed themselves. I know of a lot of people who went overseas and had fun but still managed to get retained in big fours/int firms, maybe employers like them. Maybe they are got more worldly and street smart from having different experiences. I donít know.

I just feel that no matter how much I study I still canít beat those party goers/wanderlusts. Why is life unfair.
Why can't everyone do law? Why is life unfair? Life is inherently unfair deal with it. You can keep looking for an answer to why life is unfair but not find a real solution.

The only firms that are more 'desirable' than B4 are Baker and CC, to the mind of a fresh grad at least. The rest - if you're not doing international work fully, not a big deal. It doesn't impress anyone. You can play pretend, though.

Pay is not the only metric. The B4 provide future employers with a mark of having been trained. It looks great on the CV

Grades are only one aspect. You must learn and know how the world works to be a better lawyer. We aren't talking about the metaphysical world. The best cross-examiners are those who know how the human mind works. The best lawyers know how the game is played, not what 100 cases on the subject say. The best corporate lawyers know why a legally sound solution will fall through. You must also be liked.

I think you still have a clean slate. Take it and roll with it. F the presumption that you're incompetent. Cast your net far and see what you get. In any case, most of your friends won't be in practice after 2 years. They'll stay for 1 to 1.5 years max. Some even 6 months. You'll be free to take their place at 2PQE.

Just find a good mentor. Opportunities will always be there.
Reply With Quote
  #5609 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2020, 09:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I graduated from a local uni. I have been studying hard, not travelling for any exchange programs, only to be trained at a mid sized firm and I have not been retained.

I know I have problems finding an associate position. Now, I envy those party goers/travel lust in law school who also studied and enjoyed themselves. I know of a lot of people who went overseas and had fun but still managed to get retained in big fours/int firms, maybe employers like them. Maybe they are got more worldly and street smart from having different experiences. I donít know.

I just feel that no matter how much I study I still canít beat those party goers/wanderlusts. Why is life unfair.
i completely empathise - life will probably be never fair. but if you keep working hard and try to inch forwards, it's better than being two steps back!
Reply With Quote
  #5610 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2020, 09:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I graduated from a local uni. I have been studying hard, not travelling for any exchange programs, only to be trained at a mid sized firm and I have not been retained.

I know I have problems finding an associate position. Now, I envy those party goers/travel lust in law school who also studied and enjoyed themselves. I know of a lot of people who went overseas and had fun but still managed to get retained in big fours/int firms, maybe employers like them. Maybe they are got more worldly and street smart from having different experiences. I donít know.

I just feel that no matter how much I study I still canít beat those party goers/wanderlusts. Why is life unfair.
Attrition rate in b4 is insane. How many people can stay. Don't bother - they just got a head start
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,197 Replies, 552,908 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
164 Replies, 50,227 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,475 Replies, 6,755,764 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,660 Replies, 3,204,485 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,834 Replies, 3,686,505 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,264 Replies, 1,064,581 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
534 Replies, 193,363 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,636 Replies, 9,281,409 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 21,368 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,714 Replies, 2,635,622 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 5,360 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
257 Replies, 268,279 Views
Credit Suisse
9 Replies, 4,170 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,086 Replies, 3,036,723 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
142 Replies, 140,473 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,402 Replies, 2,411,882 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,462 Replies, 664,641 Views
share your experience about...
3 Replies, 156 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,010 Replies, 904,666 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,105 Replies, 2,014,460 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,319 Replies, 732,014 Views
Work in pharmacy
5 Replies, 1,518 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 678,418 Views
Capgemini ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 5,737 Views
MOH (Ministry of Health) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 38,089 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
364 Replies, 413,327 Views
Singapore Airlines
0 Replies, 94 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
94 Replies, 18,503 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
447 Replies, 127,531 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,095 Replies, 406,335 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2