Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 22-05-2020, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Welcome to the gravy train (or not, seeing as internationals are doing badly)
Internationals are not doing badly I think. Singapore firms are worst hit as their work is largely local and things are at a standstill due to COVID. International firms do international / regional work. Many other countries are in a better shape than SG now.

Old 22-05-2020, 05:48 PM
Unregistered

Default Jump ship

Hey everyone I previously secured a training contract with a mid-sized firm but have been hearing bad news about its retention rate lately. How possible is it for me to secure a training contract elsewhere (preferably a better firm, trying my luck with big 4 too) if I have just graduated this year and am preparing for my part b? Any one had similar experiences? Of course if I can’t get hold of any I’ll stick to my previously secured one.

Old 22-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Unregistered

anyone can confirm that harry e did not retain any trainees?

Old 22-05-2020, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

to the post asking about big 4. there has been an increase in NQ salary.
Old 22-05-2020, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
to the post asking about big 4. there has been an increase in NQ salary.
Wow. Can anyone else confirm please?
Old 22-05-2020, 06:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey everyone I previously secured a training contract with a mid-sized firm but have been hearing bad news about its retention rate lately. How possible is it for me to secure a training contract elsewhere (preferably a better firm, trying my luck with big 4 too) if I have just graduated this year and am preparing for my part b? Any one had similar experiences? Of course if I can’t get hold of any I’ll stick to my previously secured one.
With big 4, very very unlikely but not impossible. In any case, you can just drop them an email and ask if there are still any vacancies. But don't get your hopes up.

Also note that bailing on a TC this late might lead to bad blood with your old firm.

Old 22-05-2020, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
With big 4, very very unlikely but not impossible. In any case, you can just drop them an email and ask if there are still any vacancies. But don't get your hopes up.

Also note that bailing on a TC this late might lead to bad blood with your old firm.
Don't listen to this law student mentality. Lol @ bad blood. What are they going to do, sue you over a TC? Don't sell yourself short.

A TC is like any other form of employment. Even if there is bad blood, do you really need to put a corporate interest in exploiting you for a TC (yes, you do everything for what, $500 - $800 a month) over your personal interest of gaining employment? Truth of the matter is if they don't retain you, you're also going to be treated like rubbish during your TC and in the foreseeable future as you pack your bags to leave for elsewhere mid TC, having secured a place elsewhere.

If they don't retain, and you find employment elsewhere, it is being courteous to the person giving you a job to leave your firm for your employer.

Given that the economy is bad, FIND a place that will retain you. Don't waste your future with there, and end up having to go to a small firm because no one knows where you trained.

What's more important, your future or your misplaced concept of not offending someone? Note, they might not even give a sh** because you're replaceable given a glut.

My advice - Be strategic. Even if this guy is right, so what if you "burn bridges" with a place that doesn't provide for you in tough times? You don't owe them your life, liberty or future. This is a JOB, not a blood oath from Harry Potter. Nobody owes anybody a living. They can easily find a replacement from/exploit someone who can't find anywhere better to train at.

Second, the Big 4 are always hiring. Do you know why? The attrition rate is very high. It is not for the weak minded.

Third, the Big 4 trains to retain you. This is extremely important. Not only are they good, they are training with a LONG TERM VIEW. If you go to a mid sized that doesn't retain/has a track record of not retaining (i) you are not being trained with a view of being their associate. Therefore, they will be apathetic when it comes to training you since you are going to a competitor. You will be treated as a back up secretary (ii) your career prospects down the line are worse off.
Old 22-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't listen to this law student mentality. Lol @ bad blood. What are they going to do, sue you over a TC? Don't sell yourself short.

A TC is like any other form of employment. Even if there is bad blood, do you really need to put a corporate interest in exploiting you for a TC (yes, you do everything for what, $500 - $800 a month) over your personal interest of gaining employment? Truth of the matter is if they don't retain you, you're also going to be treated like rubbish during your TC and in the foreseeable future as you pack your bags to leave for elsewhere mid TC, having secured a place elsewhere.

If they don't retain, and you find employment elsewhere, it is being courteous to the person giving you a job to leave your firm for your employer.

Given that the economy is bad, FIND a place that will retain you. Don't waste your future with there, and end up having to go to a small firm because no one knows where you trained.

What's more important, your future or your misplaced concept of not offending someone? Note, they might not even give a sh** because you're replaceable given a glut.

My advice - Be strategic. Even if this guy is right, so what if you "burn bridges" with a place that doesn't provide for you in tough times? You don't owe them your life, liberty or future. This is a JOB, not a blood oath from Harry Potter. Nobody owes anybody a living. They can easily find a replacement from/exploit someone who can't find anywhere better to train at.

Second, the Big 4 are always hiring. Do you know why? The attrition rate is very high. It is not for the weak minded.

Third, the Big 4 trains to retain you. This is extremely important. Not only are they good, they are training with a LONG TERM VIEW. If you go to a mid sized that doesn't retain/has a track record of not retaining (i) you are not being trained with a view of being their associate. Therefore, they will be apathetic when it comes to training you since you are going to a competitor. You will be treated as a back up secretary (ii) your career prospects down the line are worse off.
Well-said I'll reconsider. I am thinking that being in a mid sized that doesn't retain is really detrimental.. ya and I haven't heard of anyone being sued over a training position
Old 22-05-2020, 08:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Answer is obvious. Jump. A TC is like a job no one owes you / you don't owe anyone to do their work for them at $1000 a month. They won't even care - you're replaceable
Old 22-05-2020, 09:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Internationals are not doing badly I think. Singapore firms are worst hit as their work is largely local and things are at a standstill due to COVID. International firms do international / regional work. Many other countries are in a better shape than SG now.
You must hail from a FLA. Enjoy furlough season