Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 13-05-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134015)
Shouldn't we strive to be better versions of ourselves daily and benchmark ourselves against the investment bankers instead of settle for mediocrity?

why is being an investment banker the benchmark of "better versions of ourselves"? why can't the benchmark be community lawyers? Your salary doesn't determine how mediocre you are. i'd rather be a community lawyer with a comfortable salary than an investment banker who knows nothing in his life except to make money

Unregistered 13-05-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134022)
why is being an investment banker the benchmark of "better versions of ourselves"? why can't the benchmark be community lawyers? Your salary doesn't determine how mediocre you are. i'd rather be a community lawyer with a comfortable salary than an investment banker who knows nothing in his life except to make money

It is an epiphany that takes years of introspection. It requires one to throw away everything society has taught us.

The white noise isn't easily subdued.

Unregistered 13-05-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133996)
I'm happily married with a young child, and live in a 5-rm flat.

I make 150 - 170k a year in an in-house role. I am content with what I have, and don't regret leaving practice.
(By the way, I'm a RI boy.)

Dont mind can share you how many PQE can earn this amount? After all this is a salary forum, TIA

Unregistered 13-05-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134030)
Dont mind can share you how many PQE can earn this amount? After all this is a salary forum, TIA

am a dude in my mid 30s. sorry, don't wish to reveal my year of call

Unregistered 13-05-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134026)
It is an epiphany that takes years of introspection. It requires one to throw away everything society has taught us.

The white noise isn't easily subdued.

true. let's all not pretend it's not actually about the money lah. whether or not you're some enlightened low bono white knight or some golddigger in an mc firm, we're all about the money, or we wouldnt be here in the first place.

came for the money, realised it wasn't about the money, but stayed anyway because of the money. thanks for coming to the ted talk, now let's get back to talking about how much the money actually is.

maybe say something about small firms nq pay, someone earlier said 2.8k at the low end? even at the peak a decade ago when times were good and the big 4 actually approached you instead of the other way round, nq were offering to work at small (like 2 lawyer max) firms for 3.5k. 2.8k might as well sign on with saf instead

Unregistered 13-05-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134036)
true. let's all not pretend it's not actually about the money lah. whether or not you're some enlightened low bono white knight or some golddigger in an mc firm, we're all about the money, or we wouldnt be here in the first place.

came for the money, realised it wasn't about the money, but stayed anyway because of the money. thanks for coming to the ted talk, now let's get back to talking about how much the money actually is.

maybe say something about small firms nq pay, someone earlier said 2.8k at the low end? even at the peak a decade ago when times were good and the big 4 actually approached you instead of the other way round, nq were offering to work at small (like 2 lawyer max) firms for 3.5k. 2.8k might as well sign on with saf instead

retention is better than nothing i guess

Unregistered 13-05-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134041)

Quitting law is better than being exploited. But knowing law students humji take risks one la, so long can brag to bo tak chek aunties during CNY reunion dinner, $2.8k salary also will grovel on the floor and beg chinatown firms to take you in :)

Unregistered 13-05-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134036)

Brother, spot on. Anyway what to do other than law? No companies seem to want to take in a lawyer for other functions

Unregistered 13-05-2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134046)
Brother, spot on. Anyway what to do other than law? No companies seem to want to take in a lawyer for other functions

Civil service, compliance or contract manager lor. I have tried testing water before and applied to various non-law roles with my LLB from local uni. Your CV will just be binned by the HR.

Unregistered 14-05-2020 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134041)

To fellow practice trainees out there, may this be a good season for retention in spite of COVID-19 disruptions:)