Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 25-03-2020 10:16 PM

Hey fellas how much does a lawyer charge for a simple "we each keep what we own pre-marriage" pre-nuptial agreement? What if one was done overseas in the country of origin of the bride, will it still be recognised by Singapore courts?

Unregistered 25-03-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130872)
Hey fellas how much does a lawyer charge for a simple "we each keep what we own pre-marriage" pre-nuptial agreement? What if one was done overseas in the country of origin of the bride, will it still be recognised by Singapore courts?

1) SG does NOT recognise pre-nuptial agreements

2) in the event of a divorce, you will be divorce raped by AWARE and women's charter. go thank PAP for that

Unregistered 26-03-2020 11:39 AM

What do you guys feel about your job security in this present economic climate? I had always thought that junior associates were generally immune to layoffs in recessions, but recent conversations with friends made me question that thought.

Thoughts on this, people?

Unregistered 26-03-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130873)
1) SG does NOT recognise pre-nuptial agreements

2) in the event of a divorce, you will be divorce raped by AWARE and women's charter. go thank PAP for that

It is not so simple. There was a case in which the pre-nuptial agreement was recognized.

To the OP, hire a lawyer to advise you. If you have enough assets to want to protect it with a pre-nup, you have enough to hire a lawyer to advise you on this matter. Most law firms will not charge you for a preliminary no-obligations meeting. You should make use of this - lawyer shopping is pretty common now adays.

You're looking at a figure of approx 2.5-5k (all-in) depending on the scope. I'm talking about your local neighbourhood law firms. If you want to go big then you need to be prepared to pay big.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130894)
What do you guys feel about your job security in this present economic climate? I had always thought that junior associates were generally immune to layoffs in recessions, but recent conversations with friends made me question that thought.

Thoughts on this, people?

My experience speaking from a med/small firm perspective.

Junior associates are generally immune to layoffs... so long as the firm continues to have work for them to do.

If files slow down or stop coming in altogether (think conveyancing), then junior asssocs are only as valuable as their ability to diversify their practice area, skills and knowledge. If said junior assoc also has a book, even better.

For example, if you're in a corp transactions team but the firm only has debt collection/insolv work at the moment, it's a matter of whether you'll take one for the team.

Junior assocs who can't adapt quickly enough will have a hard time. Conversely, junior assocs who can, will survive.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130896)
My experience speaking from a med/small firm perspective.

Junior associates are generally immune to layoffs... so long as the firm continues to have work for them to do.

If files slow down or stop coming in altogether (think conveyancing), then junior asssocs are only as valuable as their ability to diversify their practice area, skills and knowledge. If said junior assoc also has a book, even better.

For example, if you're in a corp transactions team but the firm only has debt collection/insolv work at the moment, it's a matter of whether you'll take one for the team.

Junior assocs who can't adapt quickly enough will have a hard time. Conversely, junior assocs who can, will survive.

Pls go talk to more friends from big 4 and international law firms (those in MBFC, Marina One). Your conjecture is wrong to say the least.
Junior associates and NQs will be first to be let go in any financial crisis. Why should the partners continue to pay a salary at their own expense? No files means no work. Be prepared for more HR talks

Unregistered 26-03-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130901)
Pls go talk to more friends from big 4 and international law firms (those in MBFC, Marina One). Your conjecture is wrong to say the least.
Junior associates and NQs will be first to be let go in any financial crisis. Why should the partners continue to pay a salary at their own expense? No files means no work. Be prepared for more HR talks

first line already said what cock

Unregistered 26-03-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130902)
first line already said what cock

So it has never occurred to you that whatever happens in the big4/international the effects of which would eventually cascade or spillover to the smaller firms or mid size that you are in?
It is a sorry state of affairs that the young associates cannot see what the future holds for them

Unregistered 26-03-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130903)
So it has never occurred to you that whatever happens in the big4/international the effects of which would eventually cascade or spillover to the smaller firms or mid size that you are in?
It is a sorry state of affairs that the young associates cannot see what the future holds for them

I am the OP. The two previous posts were not mine.

I do not think we have different perspectives at all. In fact, I made clear that junior assocs are only immune for as long there is enough work to sustain them. I believe this is also your point - no files, no money, no jobs. This is a universal principle.

Nevertheless, experience has shown that even though work slows down in certain areas during crunch time, there will be an increase of work in other areas (like debt collection and insolvency). What this means is that it is really up to junior associates to be able to "prove their worth" by diversifying their practice areas, skills and knowledge. Junior assocs who can't do that will find it difficult to survive.

Hopefully, this clarifies.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 03:22 PM

Had planned to move inhouse this year at 3PQE, but recruiters I've spoken to said the inhouse market is and will continue to be awful. Sigh.