Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 22-07-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121896)
Sardonically, one might ask: "Why does a Rolex hold more prestige than a Swatch, if the only purpose of a watch is to provide the observer a measure of time?"

The Rolex is the older brand, historically favoured by eminence and has the benefit of greater accuracy ( there could perhaps be dependence between these factors). As a result it commands the higher price and reputation.

In terms of a university education, the analogy of accuracy is a very important word: Rigour.

Given the nature of the observer, the level of rigour will matter. Some observers will not see this distinction necessary or fail to see it: these are the ordinary jobs. Other observers will be able to tell the difference: These are the higher level positions. A notable example is the legal profession.

If a person is facing a murder charge, is he more willing to entrust his life to a cambridge lawyer or Suss lawyer?

Please introduce me to a Cambridge lawyer that does criminal defence work (not scholars working for AGC). I'm very interested to meet them.

ivy lawyer 22-07-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121900)
Please introduce me to a Cambridge lawyer that does criminal defence work (not scholars working for AGC). I'm very interested to meet them.

cheng huan SC is 1 of the most famous criminal lawyers in HK. He is from cantab.

Unregistered 22-07-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivy lawyer (Post 121907)
cheng huan SC is 1 of the most famous criminal lawyers in HK. He is from cantab.

in sg?
Because let's be honest, HK is a lot free-er than SG (was, maybe, considering all that's happening now).

Unregistered 22-07-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121908)
in sg?
Because let's be honest, HK is a lot free-er than SG (was, maybe, considering all that's happening now).

The truth is that the criminal bar is looked down upon by most of the profession. I trained in a criminal practice and my god, the discrimination is real. Most lawyers who have options won't choose this path - it is a difficult one [no money, no reputation, kena bullied by your "learned friends"].

Anyway, maybe that will change considering everything that's being done to raise the profile of "community" lawyer-ing.

Glad to not be doing criminal work anymore.

Peaceout.

Unregistered 22-07-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121909)
The truth is that the criminal bar is looked down upon by most of the profession. I trained in a criminal practice and my god, the discrimination is real. Most lawyers who have options won't choose this path - it is a difficult one [no money, no reputation, kena bullied by your "learned friends"].

Anyway, maybe that will change considering everything that's being done to raise the profile of "community" lawyer-ing.

Glad to not be doing criminal work anymore.

Peaceout.

Most legal peers don't look down on criminal bar. They probably only look down on those shoddy lawyers that tend to permeate the criminal bar. The late Subhas wasn't looked down on and Sant Singh is quite feared among the AGC. As long as one is good in his/her profession, most lawyers won't look down on criminal lawyers. And those who look down on criminal lawyers purely because of the criminal 'stigma' are frankly ignorant and clients should reconsider another lawyer.

I am not in criminal work or family work, but I don't look down on those who are doing it. In the end, if they are good at their work, they deserve my respect.

Unregistered 22-07-2019 03:34 PM

Could I ask what are your thoughts on family law lawyers?

Unregistered 22-07-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121916)

Do what you like.

Be good at it.

Unregistered 22-07-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121879)
is ivy lawyer from EDMW?

Nah EDMW trumps most politically correct ivy jds and cantabs/bcls with its unvarnished candor. Pretty good for a chuckle in between submissions, I say.

Unregistered 23-07-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121916)

For every battered wife, there is an asshole husband. You must be ok with telling both sides of the story - no matter what people say about you.

Most days you don't get to choose who you represent. On the off chance you get to choose your clients, and you choose to represent the battered wives... understand that you'll be agreeing to a lot of deferred payment schemes, if you even get paid. You cannot hope to earn much if you only represent battered wives.

Work for a firm that actually does family law litigation/mediation etc, not those firms that literally ONLY do e-filing of uncontested divorces. If the only experience you get after six months is filing uncontested divorces on e-lit, that's not good learning.

I know many lawyers who only do family law and do it happily. They believe in what they do and have made peace with the downside that comes with it.

Go in with your eyes wide open.

Unregistered 23-07-2019 09:06 AM

Hi, I have 4 years' PQE and am UK and Malaysia qualified. got an offer for 5.2k Base salary with 1 year AWS and VB for a legal inhouse role in a Singaporean company. Is what is being offered the standard market rate for my experience?