Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 27-05-2019 12:49 AM

what about the big .four for newly qualified sg lawyers ?

Unregistered 27-05-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 119462)
what about the big .four for newly qualified sg lawyers ?

Not out yet.

Unregistered 27-05-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegalBeagle (Post 119459)
Lockstep increase of $2k per month, after every English fiscal year (end April). Drops a little to $1,750 as you get more senior (Associate 6 and beyond).

U mean $2k a year?
But even some Sg qualified only still managed to get MC pay without 2 PQE (on Sg track) and without being UK qualified.

Unregistered 27-05-2019 11:07 AM

Hi everyone,

I am a rising year 4 NUS Law student who have yet to really apply for a TC because I was of the opinion that a current 2nd lower degree would not receive decent offers anyway. Nevertheless, y3 came and went and my grades are unlikely to achieve 2nd upper by graduation. Any advice or experience as a 2nd lower graduate applying for TC/ getting retained and prospects as a lawyer? Would greatly appreciate any help given!

Unregistered 27-05-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 119476)
Hi everyone,

I am a rising year 4 NUS Law student who have yet to really apply for a TC because I was of the opinion that a current 2nd lower degree would not receive decent offers anyway. Nevertheless, y3 came and went and my grades are unlikely to achieve 2nd upper by graduation. Any advice or experience as a 2nd lower graduate applying for TC/ getting retained and prospects as a lawyer? Would greatly appreciate any help given!

A number of 2:2 from NUS/SMU managed to find decent TCs in mid size or even big four just 2-3 years ago. Not sure now as haven’t been in touch with what’s happening on ground.
Guess you can start applying. And highlight other skills, such as mooting, etc

Unregistered 27-05-2019 01:07 PM

Should have applied to KCL. You would have gotten a first and along with that, an MC TC in London.

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Unregistered 27-05-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 119468)
U mean $2k a year?
But even some Sg qualified only still managed to get MC pay without 2 PQE (on Sg track) and without being UK qualified.

That is correct. You don't actually need to be UK qualified to be on the UK scale. It's just that your seniority is adjusted - as the UK TC is two years, while ours is 6 months. Typically, this means that year 3 associates (by the big 4 scale, which actually corresponds to 1.25 years' experience) would be NQs on the UK scale.

Unregistered 27-05-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

If you are from NUS with 2:2, you still have a fighting chance despite the stiff competition. As others mentioned, add in other skills and your CCA achievements in your resume. Maybe the Big 4 won't take you in, but from what I see, there is a decent prospect for landing a TC at a mid-sized firm

You only need to start sweating if you are 2:2 from one of those de-listed UK universities. I have been hearing stories that even 2:1 from those universities have difficulties finding a job without knowing the right people.

Unregistered 28-05-2019 01:01 PM

Don’t really understand when recruiters and firms talk about mid atlantic rates. What does that mean? It’s either MC or Cravath rates right?

Unregistered 28-05-2019 01:56 PM

any chance a 2:2 can make it to a less prestigious international firm?