Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 06-05-2019 05:54 PM

Wow the immaturity in this thread is amazing.

LegalBeagle 08-05-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118343)
If you couldn’t catch my reference to the previous posts about SGD 2.5k trainee salaries or the meaning of the “>” symbol, I’m not sure you’re the White Shoe associate you make yourself out to be.

When a braggart like you brags about earning >GBP2.5k, the natural assumption is that you aren’t making very much above GBP2.5k. An egoist who earns $19,000 a month simply doesn’t go around saying he earns >$10,000 a month. Neither would he say he’s in an “international firm” rather than a “white shoe” or “magic circle firm”. I think we can all logically infer from your post that you’re in a lower-mid tier practice which doesn’t pay top tier trainee salaries.

The way you bandy about your measly “London international firm” salary is hilarious, and speaks volumes about your insecurity. It must be tough living in London on such a pittance. I feel your pain, and thus forgive your immaturity.

Unregistered 08-05-2019 12:59 PM

Am in the midst of preparing for Part B in July

But I really don't feel like continuing legal practice because of the extremely long work hours and poor (subjective) mentoring. I feel like jumping to CS with their attractive starting salary and better working life and don't intend to be a lawyer. Should I just carry on till I get called? Or just jump ship now?

Unregistered 08-05-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118458)
Am in the midst of preparing for Part B in July

But I really don't feel like continuing legal practice because of the extremely long work hours and poor (subjective) mentoring. I feel like jumping to CS with their attractive starting salary and better working life and don't intend to be a lawyer. Should I just carry on till I get called? Or just jump ship now?

Get called first, your marketability skyrockets.

Unregistered 08-05-2019 10:17 PM

A break from mugging for Part B. What's everyone view on the new POFMA law?
Anyone else appreciate the irony when Edwin Tong introduced the so called fake news bill by declaring that an overwhelming majority of Singaporeans wanted it??

s://.theonlinecitizen.com/2019/05/06/edwin-tong-overwhelming-majority-want-online-falsehoods-laws-only-small-group-crying-wolf/

Unregistered 09-05-2019 03:52 AM

Hey LegalBeagle (and other international firm pals), I kinda need some guidance here. I'm doing a JD in a lower T14 US school right now, and I'm hoping to return to Singapore to work. I love it here in the US, but my parents are old and the thought of not seeing them and regretting when it's too late to do so fills me with dread...

Are there any biglaw firms in Sg besides Latham that hires fresh US associates? My grades are pretty ass (I'm not exactly a great student, just a tiny minnow swimming amongst sharks) and I'm pretty sure Latham with their GPA cut-offs ain't hiring someone like me.

Unregistered 09-05-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118474)
Get called first, your marketability skyrockets.

Second this. Get called first, especially now TC only 0.5 years.

Unregistered 09-05-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118494)
Hey LegalBeagle (and other international firm pals), I kinda need some guidance here. I'm doing a JD in a lower T14 US school right now, and I'm hoping to return to Singapore to work. I love it here in the US, but my parents are old and the thought of not seeing them and regretting when it's too late to do so fills me with dread...

Are there any biglaw firms in Sg besides Latham that hires fresh US associates? My grades are pretty ass (I'm not exactly a great student, just a tiny minnow swimming amongst sharks) and I'm pretty sure Latham with their GPA cut-offs ain't hiring someone like me.

Do some research on the US firms which have offices in Singapore and pay cravath or close to cravath rates here. Work towards becoming a first yearer at any of these firms in the US. Work there for 1-2 years, do well and ask for a transfer home. That would be way easier than trying to apply as a fresh jd grad in Singapore.

Unregistered 09-05-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118484)
A break from mugging for Part B. What's everyone view on the new POFMA law?
Anyone else appreciate the irony when Edwin Tong introduced the so called fake news bill by declaring that an overwhelming majority of Singaporeans wanted it??

s://.theonlinecitizen.com/2019/05/06/edwin-tong-overwhelming-majority-want-online-falsehoods-laws-only-small-group-crying-wolf/

Shrugs. elections coming

Unregistered 09-05-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118499)
Do some research on the US firms which have offices in Singapore and pay cravath or close to cravath rates here. Work towards becoming a first yearer at any of these firms in the US. Work there for 1-2 years, do well and ask for a transfer home. That would be way easier than trying to apply as a fresh jd grad in Singapore.

They will hire but not as an associate. Try and see if you can find traineeships or paralegal positions and work your way up