Lawyer Salary - Page 417 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4161 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2019, 06:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Was it worth it? Do you have regrets?

Not a troll...genuinely interested to know. I am a junior lawyer contemplating this existential question as well. Lunches and dinners at the desk, late nights, burnt weekends and holidays, borderline depression half the time, non-existent social life.
Step into the realms or Criminal Law.

Reply With Quote
  #4162 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Step into the realms or Criminal Law.
Crim can't really pay and it will reflect in your salary and bonus.

Its really not so bad. After 3 years or so your life will get better and you'll have more options. Suck it up for the first few years. Once you settle into a particular practice group life will be generally good

Reply With Quote
  #4163 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2019, 11:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Crim can't really pay and it will reflect in your salary and bonus.

Its really not so bad. After 3 years or so your life will get better and you'll have more options. Suck it up for the first few years. Once you settle into a particular practice group life will be generally good
Crim clients can pay. It depends on what are we looking at. White collar crimes, Insurance fraud. Private Prosecution on behalf of Ministries or Stats companies.

It is just civil kind of feel as it gets very standard but the perks of private prosecutions is putting aside a big chunk of the Rules of Court

Reply With Quote
  #4164 (permalink)  
Old 31-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Crim clients can pay. It depends on what are we looking at. White collar crimes, Insurance fraud. Private Prosecution on behalf of Ministries or Stats companies.

It is just civil kind of feel as it gets very standard but the perks of private prosecutions is putting aside a big chunk of the Rules of Court
The top tier white collar crim legal practices are all also top tier civil litigation practices and unsurprisingly, are found in the big firms. So you're back to square one again - long hours and intense billing pressures, just like any civ liti department.

The market for investigations and regulatory work in SG is just not big enough to sustain a practice group purely doing that. This is not like the US where you have 1000 regulatory agencies and 5000 different sets of regulations and sub-regulations in 500 different administrative courts. Almost everything substantive in terms of regulatory actions here is ultimately funneled through AGC and the criminal courts.

So such departments will probably still do 60-70% commercial liti work.

Private prosecutions by fiat isn't that common either. The sexy ones ultimately go back to AGC. Only the dull ones are outsourced.
Reply With Quote
  #4165 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi everyone,

I read so many postings here and I would say they contain very insightful materials of the brutal legal industry. Thank you for the contributions!

I am a recent law graduate and presently doing my RLT. Looking forward to do my Part A(session 2) in this Oct/Nov 2019 (SCARY : my first attempt!)

As I read many former qualified lawyers moved in-house and became so much happier, but what if I decided not to and might still want to find satisfaction in my work?

I always remember my first interaction with a lawyer( yes, I got into a hit-and-run accident, someone hit my car instead and sped off!) and he advised me not to take out a civil suit (est $10K) and rather take the 50% settlement($1K); and save the agony of time and trial! HE could have possibly antagonize me to take this issue further, make the extra billings but he didn't.. I think that was the best advice any ethical lawyer would have given, given the fact I was still 'hot'
He even went to the extent of telling me an incident where a supercar driver went scot-free, who is an obvious instigator, in the crash with another driver because of the person's abilities to afford expensive legal representation; just to dissuade me from pressing suit. His departing words to me, words to the effect, " There's no justice in this world. If you want one, go to heaven and look for one".

I intend to make my legal career a lasting one, by trying my best to avoid many pitfalls, and along the way, make a decent living( hopefully $70K-$80K..), and yet find satisfaction in the work. Sounds paradoxical? Any advice from the seniors?

P.s. Any senior here that has taken Part A? If you have any lecture recordings, would you mind to share with me @ [email protected].

Thank you very much in advance everyone! Love and Peace.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4166 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi all, I've heard a lot about AGC's relatively good work-life balance and the fairly decent pay they offer, which I understand to be about $4,600 starting as a junior. Would anyone have more concrete figures in relation to the increments and bonuses from year to year?

Also, what are the prospects? Can a AGC lawyer return to private practice or go in-house or will the skill sets be so vastly different that one would be stuck in AGC? Thanks in advance.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #4167 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone,

I read so many postings here and I would say they contain very insightful materials of the brutal legal industry. Thank you for the contributions!

I am a recent law graduate and presently doing my RLT. Looking forward to do my Part A(session 2) in this Oct/Nov 2019 (SCARY : my first attempt!)

As I read many former qualified lawyers moved in-house and became so much happier, but what if I decided not to and might still want to find satisfaction in my work?

I always remember my first interaction with a lawyer( yes, I got into a hit-and-run accident, someone hit my car instead and sped off!) and he advised me not to take out a civil suit (est $10K) and rather take the 50% settlement($1K); and save the agony of time and trial! HE could have possibly antagonize me to take this issue further, make the extra billings but he didn't.. I think that was the best advice any ethical lawyer would have given, given the fact I was still 'hot'
He even went to the extent of telling me an incident where a supercar driver went scot-free, who is an obvious instigator, in the crash with another driver because of the person's abilities to afford expensive legal representation; just to dissuade me from pressing suit. His departing words to me, words to the effect, " There's no justice in this world. If you want one, go to heaven and look for one".

I intend to make my legal career a lasting one, by trying my best to avoid many pitfalls, and along the way, make a decent living( hopefully $70K-$80K..), and yet find satisfaction in the work. Sounds paradoxical? Any advice from the seniors?

P.s. Any senior here that has taken Part A? If you have any lecture recordings, would you mind to share with me @ [email protected].

Thank you very much in advance everyone! Love and Peace.
Actually nothing much needs to be said. Just start working and you will soon find out whether you like it or not or whether you cmi or not. Talk so much now also no use.

You might think 70k-80k is decent living now but trust me when you start comparing with your peers and start having more substantial financial responsibilities, it's never enough.

Pls pass your Part A on the first try. There's no excuse for failing.
Reply With Quote
  #4168 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually nothing much needs to be said. Just start working and you will soon find out whether you like it or not or whether you cmi or not. Talk so much now also no use.

You might think 70k-80k is decent living now but trust me when you start comparing with your peers and start having more substantial financial responsibilities, it's never enough.

Pls pass your Part A on the first try. There's no excuse for failing.
"Never enough" because you compare with your peers? But enough if you don't compare and just buy a normal HDB, have 2 kids, eat restaurant once in a while kind?
Reply With Quote
  #4169 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"Never enough" because you compare with your peers? But enough if you don't compare and just buy a normal HDB, have 2 kids, eat restaurant once in a while kind?
Aiya if you really want to stretch it like that then many Singaporeans have also managed to raise a family of 5 on a $2000 pm salary.

Your standard of living will invariably be influenced by your prevailing circumstances and socioeconomic geography.
Reply With Quote
  #4170 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

True.. it all depends on you are spending and how much you are saving per month. The people who are successful cannot be measured only on how much they make, it is also about their satisfaction they derived from their work and self-identities..

Many people got into law as it looks prestige and thought that it is financially rewarding. True to certain aspects but hey, after balancing the long hours and stress, I have seen so many lawyers aged way before they turned old!!

Worth it?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 11:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 8,048 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,467 Replies, 841,464 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,747 Replies, 1,155,884 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,342 Replies, 481,685 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,393 Replies, 4,668,737 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,606 Replies, 677,219 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
213 Replies, 269,662 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
303 Replies, 125,808 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,194 Replies, 913,617 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 972 Views
Dilemma - SAP or Data analytics?
2 Replies, 253 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
264 Replies, 185,666 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,522 Replies, 1,624,969 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 60,544 Views
fresh grad seeking a career,but no... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 11,566 Views
working under singhealth ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 13,635 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 42,361 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,531 Replies, 1,498,031 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,247 Replies, 481,052 Views
Salary for engineer at Singapore...
9 Replies, 9,449 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
718 Replies, 359,887 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
814 Replies, 614,418 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,553 Replies, 410,728 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 54,278 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 221,263 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
704 Replies, 681,173 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 54,804 Views
DBS BANK Interview replies ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 235,560 Views
SMU Accountancy vs SUTD ISTD
6 Replies, 2,907 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,746 Replies, 3,417,457 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2