Lawyer Salary - Page 401 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4001 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Then how u explain why some JLCs/DPP is in the 2016 list for instance and why the top student for NUS is also the top in the 2015 list? Other than consistency and truly the most outstanding (being able to juggle agc commitments), there are no other credible reasons for this
Uh. As you said, only some get the list. The exceptions prove the rule lul. Most of the consistent FCH don't care enough. Otherwise you should see the list full of FCH. It isn't.

Reply With Quote
  #4002 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
New poster here, just find this debate about part b funny. If you are looking at private practice, part b is just another distinguishing factor to the firms when hiring but is in no way a good indicator as to whether or not one will do well in private practice. I have seen fchs/good 2.1s with part b list who are totally not cut out for private practice (low EQ, no commercial awareness or common sense, only booksmart, poor client servicing skills). Granted, there are 1-2 who are brilliant but you get the idea, the rest are not any different from those who did not get on the part b list. I am not in the civil service and I don't teach so I can't comment on how good an indicator the part b list will be for those areas.

Those who got on the list, good for you but you will still have to be humble and work hard.

To a certain extent, FCH may not be a good indicator as well. Part B and/or FCH, it may get you an interview or a TC but whether or not you are retained or hireable as a lawyer requires a different set of skills which is hard to measure with exams.
To add on to this, by the time one does part B, one will already have TC. There is really no incentive to use Part B list for TC purposes. Retention also unlikely, since firm will already see you work half a year as well. Part B list should be a minor factor in retention as such.

Reply With Quote
  #4003 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Aiyo. This forum discussion on part b like small kids fighting for toys.
If u get Commendation list good la. Give you, you take lor.
With you for life.
If u don’t get, then get on with life

Reply With Quote
  #4004 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2019, 12:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just explain to you about relevance of part b. Since a lot of people talking about this.
I believe interested people will be the part b students.

1. Is a distinction in part b prestigious?
Ans: Yes it is. As said by course facilitators, pass is good enough. A person who can distinguish himself/herself with distinction means the body of work is outstanding as compared to his/her equally competent peers.
2. What is the purpose of part b?
Ans: It is a gatekeeper exam. Meaning it is the stage where you are judged by practitioners and not academics (unlike uni) whether you are fit to practice law in Sg.
If such practitioners who have 20 years exp adjudged you as not competent meaning fail, it means you have failed to meet the standard required to practice law.
Conversely, a part b distinction given by these practitioners means you have truly distinguished yourself.
3. If everyone is copying other ppl’s notes etc as claimed by one poster, then how valuable is a distinction?
Ans: like you said, if everyone has the same notes, then of course everyone will pass since everyone is producing the same answers. Then the people who can get distinctions are truly smart and good because they would have to go above and beyond in order to get the coveted distinction. Meaning they are smart. Whether you like it or not.
4. We have different unis with diff standards. How do you determine which grads are better?
Ans: Part B. Part B is the control mechanism to facilitate this process.
5. Someone said the fact that not many JLCs get dist means it is an irrelevant exam. How true is this?
Ans: Not true. There are JLCs/DPPs with distinction in the part b exams. Given that they have the same amount of caseload as the other JLCs and DPPs, and they can still get dist as compared to their agc peers, it means they are truly good and above and beyond their peers in agc.
Reply With Quote
  #4005 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just explain to you about relevance of part b. Since a lot of people talking about this.
I believe interested people will be the part b students.

1. Is a distinction in part b prestigious?
Ans: Yes it is. As said by course facilitators, pass is good enough. A person who can distinguish himself/herself with distinction means the body of work is outstanding as compared to his/her equally competent peers.
2. What is the purpose of part b?
Ans: It is a gatekeeper exam. Meaning it is the stage where you are judged by practitioners and not academics (unlike uni) whether you are fit to practice law in Sg.
If such practitioners who have 20 years exp adjudged you as not competent meaning fail, it means you have failed to meet the standard required to practice law.
Conversely, a part b distinction given by these practitioners means you have truly distinguished yourself.
3. If everyone is copying other ppl’s notes etc as claimed by one poster, then how valuable is a distinction?
Ans: like you said, if everyone has the same notes, then of course everyone will pass since everyone is producing the same answers. Then the people who can get distinctions are truly smart and good because they would have to go above and beyond in order to get the coveted distinction. Meaning they are smart. Whether you like it or not.
4. We have different unis with diff standards. How do you determine which grads are better?
Ans: Part B. Part B is the control mechanism to facilitate this process.
5. Someone said the fact that not many JLCs get dist means it is an irrelevant exam. How true is this?
Ans: Not true. There are JLCs/DPPs with distinction in the part b exams. Given that they have the same amount of caseload as the other JLCs and DPPs, and they can still get dist as compared to their agc peers, it means they are truly good and above and beyond their peers in agc.
What about the earlier poster's view on the commendation list being only a number of distinctions rather than aggregate performance? He/She/Apache helicopter does make a good point that the commendation list is not the same as a FCH etc, because it is only based on number of dists
Reply With Quote
  #4006 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What about the earlier poster's view on the commendation list being only a number of distinctions rather than aggregate performance? He/She/Apache helicopter does make a good point that the commendation list is not the same as a FCH etc, because it is only based on number of dists
Actly are you even a part b student who has completed the exams?
If you do attend the classes and the revision lectures, it will be clear to you that part b is an exam marked by senior practitioners for the sole purpose of judging whether you are fit for legal practice. Not whether you are good academically.
The LLB degree judges whether you are good at grasping legal concepts in an academic setting.
The Part B exams determine whether you are fit for legal practice, i.e. understand the concepts required of legal practice.

A first class in LLB + Commendation list on part b means you are ready for practice (and can perform above most individuals) and on top of that you have a solid grounding in law.

A Commendation list on its own with a 2:2 LLB means your legal foundation is not strong but you are able to quickly pick up legal concepts for the purpose of practice. In other words, you have better practical knowledge for practice of law. Not the study of law.

LLB and Part B test different skills. One is more academic, the other is more practice focus.
It should be obvious if you have attended the part b intro lectures.
Reply With Quote

  #4007 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Stop bickering kids. Let a helpful senior sum it up for you.

Good degree from a good uni + part b commendation : you're all set for legal practice
Good degree from crap uni + no part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice
Crap degree from good uni + part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice
Crap degree from crap uni + no part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice

Notice the difference? Good. Now stop being little b itches and let's get back to salaries.
Reply With Quote
  #4008 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2019, 10:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stop bickering kids. Let a helpful senior sum it up for you.

Good degree from a good uni + part b commendation : you're all set for legal practice
Good degree from crap uni + no part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice
Crap degree from good uni + part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice
Crap degree from crap uni + no part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice

Notice the difference? Good. Now stop being little b itches and let's get back to salaries.
Love this!!!


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4009 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stop bickering kids. Let a helpful senior sum it up for you.

Good degree from a good uni + part b commendation : you're all set for legal practice
Good degree from crap uni + no part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice
Crap degree from good uni + part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice
Crap degree from crap uni + no part b commendation: you're all set for legal practice

Notice the difference? Good. Now stop being little b itches and let's get back to salaries.
Lmao thanks for this. The age of the forum users really shows
Reply With Quote
  #4010 (permalink)  
Old 08-01-2019, 07:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Associate looking to jump to another assignment.
Any good legal recruiters to recommend?
Been talking to a few previously but no news from them.
Heard everyone have collected their bonuses and a mass exodus is eminent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,209 Replies, 6,359,154 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,626 Replies, 4,832,627 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,725 Replies, 1,339,902 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,776 Replies, 4,563,169 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
609 Replies, 357,461 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,063 Replies, 2,232,932 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,174 Replies, 3,310,356 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,745 Replies, 1,006,522 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 9,019 Views
MOT (Ministry of Transport)
5 Replies, 5,518 Views
IBM salaries ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 7,582 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,745 Replies, 1,467,093 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,864 Replies, 10,157,236 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
7 Replies, 3,595 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 315,607 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,960 Replies, 2,084,537 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
700 Replies, 519,781 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,262 Replies, 697,214 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 735,498 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,235 Replies, 12,263,051 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 221,757 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,066 Replies, 3,665,032 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 377,474 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,983 Replies, 4,498,316 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
413 Replies, 155,100 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,638 Replies, 1,487,565 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
0 Replies, 316 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
701 Replies, 384,351 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2