Lawyer Salary - Page 395 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3941 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Exactly. Only those who are incapable of going into IB/MC will continue with law.
I wouldn't make such a blanket statement. In the US at least, Biglaw stands beside IB and MC in terms of prestige. Many IB analysts actually quit their jobs to go to law school before gunning for a spot in the big law firms.

Of course in Singapore it is vastly different because lawyer salaries (and legal fees in general) are so laughably depressed it is almost pathetic. Prestige is of course far lower. Case in point, the recent ill-fated attempt to impose scaled costs.

In fact, the word "lawyer" for most people here probably still conjures up images of the typical chinatown white-and-black court attired State Courts litigator, as opposed to the corporate lawyers in the major financial centres like NY and London.

Reply With Quote
  #3942 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2018, 01:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Exactly. So if making money is your priority, then this is the path you should take.
Granted you can do a law degree, that doesn’t mean you have to be a lawyer.
You can always angle your CV towards IB/MC.
What’s stopping a person from doing that? Nothing.
This only applies to law students. How would you suggest a law graduate or someone who has been working in the legal sector to angle his CV towards IB or MC? Not practical advice.

Reply With Quote
  #3943 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2018, 01:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I wouldn't make such a blanket statement. In the US at least, Biglaw stands beside IB and MC in terms of prestige. Many IB analysts actually quit their jobs to go to law school before gunning for a spot in the big law firms.
No it isn't and no they don't.

Reply With Quote
  #3944 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No it isn't and no they don't.
ok boss whatever you say
Reply With Quote
  #3945 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This only applies to law students. How would you suggest a law graduate or someone who has been working in the legal sector to angle his CV towards IB or MC? Not practical advice.
u don't. only people who are prestige whores think finance is the be all and end all.

generally u choose a path and commit to it because u have some interest in the field and think its a worthwhile field to make a career out of

if you're in the legal industry, u can sit on the fence and hold out for the next better law firm that comes along. but u can't sit on the fence and choose between law or finance. because in the real world, companies want to see real results you can bring to the table not what you think is more prestigious for u.

its not all about u and changing sectors/industries is not like changing girlfriends.
Reply With Quote
  #3946 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What is the trainee salary
what is the new associate salary
for big four
and
for international firm

easy to move from big four trainee to international firm?
Reply With Quote

  #3947 (permalink)  
Old 24-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Exactly. Only those who are incapable of going into IB/MC will continue with law.
Agree wholeheartedly. The fact remains that our best legal minds go on to join non-legal fields such as IB/MC.

The cream of the crop with unblemished moral fortitude are further poached to serve the lay people by becoming politicians.
Reply With Quote
  #3948 (permalink)  
Old 24-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agree wholeheartedly. The fact remains that our best legal minds go on to join non-legal fields such as IB/MC.

The cream of the crop with unblemished moral fortitude are further poached to serve the lay people by becoming politicians.
Yes. Just look at Hillary and Bill Clinton. Truly of unblemished moral fortitude.
Reply With Quote
  #3949 (permalink)  
Old 24-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nobody cares about IB/MC when lawyer salaries simply blow those out of the water. See Clifford Chance starting salary of $12k.
Reply With Quote
  #3950 (permalink)  
Old 25-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nobody cares about IB/MC when lawyer salaries simply blow those out of the water. See Clifford Chance starting salary of $12k.
Haha mate,do you happen to be called Patrick and have a sponge for a best friend?

Starting IB salaries in Singapore are around 10-12k base, with bonus this shoots to around 16k

Fact: IB is more lucrative and prestigious than big law at every compensation level
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,532 Replies, 13,022,882 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,680 Replies, 2,668,777 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,734 Replies, 5,603,193 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,606 Replies, 4,028,391 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,693 Replies, 1,519,650 Views
PSA International ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 105,634 Views
Best Stat board/Ministry ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 39,498 Views
when you quit how many days do you... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 7,942 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,130 Replies, 4,965,194 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,357 Replies, 1,201,691 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,831 Replies, 7,269,660 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,482 Replies, 10,916,056 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,209 Replies, 483,389 Views
Rakuten Software Engineer (Fresh... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 6,750 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,193 Replies, 2,605,546 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,627 Replies, 3,678,203 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,973 Replies, 1,716,383 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,004 Replies, 512,049 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
930 Replies, 495,626 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,963 Replies, 1,580,319 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,441 Replies, 731,559 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
215 Replies, 196,092 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,591 Replies, 1,275,098 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 15,014 Views
New Employer asked for CPF...
5 Replies, 19,493 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 91,687 Views
Keppel Associate Programme 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
42 Replies, 53,285 Views
Salary for JPM Summer Analyst
2 Replies, 212 Views
DSO (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 72,366 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
6 Replies, 847 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2