Lawyer Salary - Page 391 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3901 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does anyone know anything about Quahe Woo & Palmer? Culture, salary, prospects...
Heard you may be paid in mangoes. Prospects are good if you're named Laura.

Joking.

Reply With Quote
  #3902 (permalink)  
Old 15-12-2018, 11:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does anyone know anything about Quahe Woo & Palmer? Culture, salary, prospects...
Horrible, disappointing, and average, in that order.

Reply With Quote
  #3903 (permalink)  
Old 16-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Seriously if you’re a FCH and money is your priority, just go in house and work towards general management.

If you’re smart, you can make managing director of a business unit before 32 and earn $500k a year with stock options.

Best part you skip the crazy hours that a law firm partner has to do before trial.

Reply With Quote
  #3904 (permalink)  
Old 16-12-2018, 11:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seriously if you’re a FCH and money is your priority, just go in house and work towards general management.

If you’re smart, you can make managing director of a business unit before 32 and earn $500k a year with stock options.

Best part you skip the crazy hours that a law firm partner has to do before trial.
Bro what are you smoking, $500k at 32 in management? Only law partners, i-bankers, and civil servants on superscale can conceivably make that in their early 30s.

Sure life in Singapore as a millennial is tougher than a decade ago due to imprudent government policies, but law remains a very lucrative career for the academically inclined.
Reply With Quote
  #3905 (permalink)  
Old 16-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Bro what are you smoking, $500k at 32 in management? Only law partners, i-bankers, and civil servants on superscale can conceivably make that in their early 30s.

Sure life in Singapore as a millennial is tougher than a decade ago due to imprudent government policies, but law remains a very lucrative career for the academically inclined.
Dude. $500k at early 30s is not achievable even for a Harvard Law grad who clerked for the US Supreme Court and became a partner in the whitest of the white shoe law firms in New York. Talk c ock.

Law is not a "very" lucrative career. It is a stable, upper middle class career for the above-average in studies. You will get to drive a BMW and maybe eventually upgrade to a Jaguar. If you're a good rainmaker, maybe you will swap cars every 3 - 4 years and get that Maserati when you're in your mid 40s (if you really want it, however impractical it is).

You will be comfortable, but you will not be Steve Cohen rich.
Reply With Quote
  #3906 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dude. $500k at early 30s is not achievable even for a Harvard Law grad who clerked for the US Supreme Court and became a partner in the whitest of the white shoe law firms in New York. Talk c ock.
Wachtell (the whitest of the white shoe law firms) has a PEP of >USD5 million with lockstep compensation. They literally make you an overnight millionaire the moment you make partner.

Same with Cravath, Slaughter and May and pretty much any top firm that pays lockstep.
Reply With Quote

  #3907 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wachtell (the whitest of the white shoe law firms) has a PEP of >USD5 million with lockstep compensation. They literally make you an overnight millionaire the moment you make partner.

Same with Cravath, Slaughter and May and pretty much any top firm that pays lockstep.
Wachtell is like literally the no.1 firm though... and no other firm besides them pays the kinds of salaries they do.

Think about it, every year Harvard alone takes in 600+ law students, and there are so many other competitive schools... of which only 28 of them or so will get a summer associate position in Wachtell. You might have a better chance hoping to strike it rich opening a siam diu hoping to make bank, than hoping to beat out the competition at elite US law schools for a place in Wachtell. After which you'd still have to beat your classmates in Wachtell to get that coveted partnership.
Reply With Quote
  #3908 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2018, 11:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wachtell is like literally the no.1 firm though... and no other firm besides them pays the kinds of salaries they do.
OP's specific scenario was of making partner at the top firm i.e. Wachtell.

In any case, the other firms I mentioned have similarly sky-high starting partner pay. Cravath's is USD2 million (PEP of USD4 million with a spread between highest-paid and lowest-paid partners of 3-to-1). Slaughter's is GBP1.8 million (PEP of GBP2.7 million with a spread of 2-to-1).

Also, you'd be surprised at the number of people in each cohort not looking to make partner at the firm. Once you get your foot in the door, competition is actually not as high as you'd think. The main challenge is whether you can last long enough to reach 7-10PQE.
Reply With Quote
  #3909 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OP's specific scenario was of making partner at the top firm i.e. Wachtell.

In any case, the other firms I mentioned have similarly sky-high starting partner pay. Cravath's is USD2 million (PEP of USD4 million with a spread between highest-paid and lowest-paid partners of 3-to-1). Slaughter's is GBP1.8 million (PEP of GBP2.7 million with a spread of 2-to-1).

Also, you'd be surprised at the number of people in each cohort not looking to make partner at the firm. Once you get your foot in the door, competition is actually not as high as you'd think. The main challenge is whether you can last long enough to reach 7-10PQE.
Hmm lets be realistic. How much does a junior equity partner at Lee & Lee or HEP earn?
Reply With Quote
  #3910 (permalink)  
Old 17-12-2018, 10:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmm lets be realistic. How much does a junior equity partner at Lee & Lee or HEP earn?
Same as what a first yearer earns in CC.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
440 Replies, 144,670 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,107 Replies, 866,061 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
352 Replies, 204,294 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,155 Replies, 6,214,114 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,562 Replies, 2,115,122 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,014 Replies, 1,888,856 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
151 Replies, 6,712 Views
How long does uob get back to you...
8 Replies, 1,349 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
3 Replies, 1,836 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,000 Replies, 3,337,499 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,848 Replies, 1,238,758 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 183,471 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,301 Replies, 318,721 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,644 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 40,770 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 104,362 Views
Starting pay for fresh uni grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
67 Replies, 5,839 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,941 Replies, 1,400,358 Views
Lonza Biotechnologist
0 Replies, 53 Views
MOH Graduate Studies Scholarship ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 16,143 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 27,320 Views
SEA Limited
6 Replies, 1,533 Views
Audit DGS
0 Replies, 72 Views
Starting new employment while...
6 Replies, 304 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
269 Replies, 241,474 Views
Big4 Tax Career Prospect
4 Replies, 2,295 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,692 Replies, 1,054,638 Views
Personal Assistant
0 Replies, 86 Views
Working at Changi Business Park ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 3,656 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2