Lawyer Salary - Page 292 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 05-06-2018, 02:38 AM
mushy

Default wondering

im wondering. i graduated from a london uni. its always said that there's shortage of TCs in SG but why is that the the children of lawyers have no problems getting TCs at other firms?

how did an aussie become the dean of the NUS law school? how long is his term for? is it for life?

why is there a CEO of the supreme court? how long is that term for the office holder for?

everyone around me including hundreds of SG students who studied in uk says they want to go into conveyancing. basically avoid going to court and sit in office all day long. then why be called to the bar?

is it wrong to ask these type of questions? or should i just be like them, follow them blindly and spiral into being a zombie?

im into cause lawyering. i see many people going to jail everyday for choosing not to pay their fines etc. is it wrong to be like a good lawyer and ask the tough questions and help poor people or is it right to just be like them and some of u on this forum?

what advice you have for me?

Old 05-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushy View Post
im wondering. i graduated from a london uni. its always said that there's shortage of TCs in SG but why is that the the children of lawyers have no problems getting TCs at other firms?

how did an aussie become the dean of the NUS law school? how long is his term for? is it for life?

why is there a CEO of the supreme court? how long is that term for the office holder for?

everyone around me including hundreds of SG students who studied in uk says they want to go into conveyancing. basically avoid going to court and sit in office all day long. then why be called to the bar?

is it wrong to ask these type of questions? or should i just be like them, follow them blindly and spiral into being a zombie?

im into cause lawyering. i see many people going to jail everyday for choosing not to pay their fines etc. is it wrong to be like a good lawyer and ask the tough questions and help poor people or is it right to just be like them and some of u on this forum?

After passing the bar you are only at the starting point of your legal career. Do what you like and make sure its something you can see yourself doing it for the rest of your life. It doesnt have to be law related. There is no need to follow in anyone's footstep...

Old 05-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushy View Post

1. all else being equal. some connections get you to places. but in the first place, you also depended on your parents to get your overseas education. so no poiint being a pot and calling a kettle black.

2. i do not think a person nationality should matter. the best man get the job. common to have international faculty in the best institutions.

3. supreme court has its daily operations need. try running a organisation or company without one. btw UK supreme court has a CEO too. you sure you studied in london? no fixed term

4. they simply dont like to be barrister, much prefer procedural work. conveyancing can be meaningful.

5. no it is not wrong to ask

6. i think the problem is law is actually not poor ppl going to jail for not being able to pay fine. but some rich men escaping jail because they can hire gd lawyers.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Unregistered

Just heard that everyone in NUS law this year graduated with at least a 2.1, even if their CAP was below the stated 3.5/5.0. Maybe NUS should replace KCL as the new degree mill?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just heard that everyone in NUS law this year graduated with at least a 2.1, even if their CAP was below the stated 3.5/5.0. Maybe NUS should replace KCL as the new degree mill?
unfortunately still doesn't qualify. unless they follow them, and give everybody a 1:1.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

In the news today, Milbank is the highest paying firm in the world after raising starting salaries of Associates to US$190k.

Cravath coming in second at US$180k.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is your sample size accurate?
I know for a fact around 40 percent got second lower from nus this year as with last year as well.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Firstly NUS Law doesn’t use the CAP / GPA system as a cut off for honours classification. So get this notion out of your head.

Secondly, it’s not even easy to score a B / B- in NUS Law.

The classification is based on the cohort curve with top 10 to 55 % getting first and second upper.

around 40-50% still graduate with second lower this year.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
In the news today, Milbank is the highest paying firm in the world after raising starting salaries of Associates to US$190k.

Cravath coming in second at US$180k.
Unfortunately nus graduates can never enter such firms to earn this much
Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Firstly NUS Law doesn’t use the CAP / GPA system as a cut off for honours classification. So get this notion out of your head.

Secondly, it’s not even easy to score a B / B- in NUS Law.

The classification is based on the cohort curve with top 10 to 55 % getting first and second upper.

around 40-50% still graduate with second lower this year.
NUS Law School to award more 1st class honours, Singapore News - AsiaOne

Uh why don't you read this article first before you shoot your mouth off. A 2.1 is supposedly awarded to kids graduating with a CWNA of B or better, which translates to a CAP of 3.5/5.0.

Not easy to score a B/B- in NUS Law? LOL NUS itself says that this criteria of 3.5/5.0 is attained by at least the top 75-78% of the cohort. Didn't know being ranked at the bottom 20-sth percent of your class is considered a mean feat. Congrats?