Lawyer Salary - Page 1949 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #19481 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2023, 04:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agreed with you on the ROI of law vs medicine. But that only applies for local unis. Itís kind of pointless to study law in a second tier UK/Australia Uni if you canít get into the local unis. You will struggle when applying for a TC in SG compared to the local grads.

Whereas for medicine, any overseas degree on the second schedule is still recognised for practice in Singapore. Whether you are an NUS YLL grad or Monash Med, it doesnít matter because both still start as a HO.
Would like to fundamentally correct this way of thinking.

Not too recent Aus grad here at an international firm doing corp and private equity work. There are more of us here and at other places than you realise. You may not realise it, but firms are actually hiring us.

The good thing about the legal career, especially now that many recruitment partner committees are made up of younger generations, including people like me in a few years.

We care only if you're good. That does not equal only NUS/SMU or Oxbridge.

Indeed many of the SUSS, Australian and former delisted UK uni students are doing very well now. If not before, then because they've stuck through and lateralled after a few years when fewer lawyers stay in the middle.

So, take comfort that a good lawyer can come from anywhere.

In fact, I see more NUS/SMU students struggle than overseas grads - because there're so many of you, and the student culture is so toxic amongst each other (though there have been quite a lot of nice batches lately who co-exist with the overseas students now).

Hopefully that changes. We could do with more support, comradeship and encouragement in the community

Reply With Quote
  #19482 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2023, 04:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would like to fundamentally correct this way of thinking.

Not too recent Aus grad here at an international firm doing corp and private equity work. There are more of us here and at other places than you realise. You may not realise it, but firms are actually hiring us.

The good thing about the legal career, especially now that many recruitment partner committees are made up of younger generations, including people like me in a few years.

We care only if you're good. That does not equal only NUS/SMU or Oxbridge.

Indeed many of the SUSS, Australian and former delisted UK uni students are doing very well now. If not before, then because they've stuck through and lateralled after a few years when fewer lawyers stay in the middle.

So, take comfort that a good lawyer can come from anywhere.

In fact, I see more NUS/SMU students struggle than overseas grads - because there're so many of you, and the student culture is so toxic amongst each other (though there have been quite a lot of nice batches lately who co-exist with the overseas students now).

Hopefully that changes. We could do with more support, comradeship and encouragement in the community


Damn are you serious bro? I am a fresh 2:1 graduate from a UK law school thatís still recognised (Durham) and I didnít secure any TC offers from UK/SG

I thought AUS/delisted grads are having it worseÖ

Reply With Quote
  #19483 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2023, 05:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Damn are you serious bro? I am a fresh 2:1 graduate from a UK law school thatís still recognised (Durham) and I didnít secure any TC offers from UK/SG

I thought AUS/delisted grads are having it worseÖ
OP here - to help give you some perspective, now that 8 unis in the UK are delisted, there are at least 150-180 students fewer each year in the recruitment pool

note also that many sg UK students go on to become barristers/UK lawyers

therefore, naturally firms have to look wider and more openly to the available pool of candidates in SG, UK and Aus

for your last point, don't be discouraged! durham is a great uni. just get qualified first in an area you're interested in, and soon you'll develop the skills/expertise needed to move if you wish to lateral

many of the best and most interesting lawyers/people I know didn't have a straight path out of law school right from the start. these days it's very common to have unique trajectories

Reply With Quote
  #19484 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2023, 05:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OP here - to help give you some perspective, now that 8 unis in the UK are delisted, there are at least 150-180 students fewer each year in the recruitment pool

note also that many sg UK students go on to become barristers/UK lawyers

therefore, naturally firms have to look wider and more openly to the available pool of candidates in SG, UK and Aus

for your last point, don't be discouraged! durham is a great uni. just get qualified first in an area you're interested in, and soon you'll develop the skills/expertise needed to move if you wish to lateral

many of the best and most interesting lawyers/people I know didn't have a straight path out of law school right from the start. these days it's very common to have unique trajectories
Also, one more point -

Law students focus on the familiar firms that recruit straight out of uni

but what they don't realise is that after you get qualified in the area you're interested in, or indeed move to the one you like after 1-3 years, your options become far more opened up

most of the international firms in sg (e.g. KWM, King & Spalding, Walkers, etc etc) take on NQs after they've done their training at Sg/FLA/JLV/boutique/and int'l firms that offer sg ptcs/UK TCs in sg
Reply With Quote
  #19485 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2023, 10:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One of the smaller firms I interned at had this white horse. Man wasnít give much work and spoke as though he was an equity partner of the firm, constantly joking how he wants to give the support staff a hard time whenever they made mistakes. He was extremely obnoxious, self-centred (sharing his personal life when nobody asked) and always declaring how he turned down TC offers from larger firms (both big four and international) to TC at said firm. Deep down, most of us know he was likely rejected from those firms and is only doing his TC here because he has no other options.
This is truly one of the best posts I have read here, and I wish he could read this

Itís a great pity
Reply With Quote
  #19486 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2023, 10:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is truly one of the best posts I have read here, and I wish he could read this

Itís a great pity
Does he return to intern at the same place every year?
Reply With Quote

  #19487 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2023, 11:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default .

So are you a recent aus grad or a partner in the recruitment committee?
Reply With Quote
  #19488 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2023, 11:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does he return to intern at the same place every year?
Not sure about now, but heard from fellow interns from his batch that he likes to spend whatever free time he has "working" to justify why he performs poorly in his coursework and how unprepared he is for lectures.
Reply With Quote
  #19489 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2023, 02:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Salary at the smaller end

Hi all. 2020 called, getting 6.5/month in a small practice. Is this very very low or something which the small firms are paying around this pqe level.
Reply With Quote
  #19490 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2023, 03:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all. 2020 called, getting 6.5/month in a small practice. Is this very very low or something which the small firms are paying around this pqe level.
Whatís your working hours like? If itís equivalent to the Big 4, then yes you are grossly underpaid
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
877 Replies, 410,795 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,508 Replies, 4,177,277 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,646 Replies, 4,195,792 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
600 Replies, 430,093 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,138 Replies, 1,671,485 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,140 Replies, 2,890,619 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,370 Replies, 5,663,709 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,700 Replies, 3,343,036 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,587 Replies, 871,603 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,166 Replies, 9,302,024 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,869 Replies, 11,552,707 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,873 Replies, 2,708,337 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,573 Replies, 1,930,203 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
225 Replies, 227,584 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,449 Replies, 1,302,594 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
368 Replies, 648,102 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,455 Replies, 1,091,067 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
271 Replies, 307,635 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
474 Replies, 271,879 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,102 Replies, 553,984 Views
Calculate Net Worth and Benchmark... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 19,237 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,849 Replies, 4,166,287 Views
Working Culture in IRAS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
72 Replies, 150,526 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
141 Replies, 190,578 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
402 Replies, 193,412 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,276 Replies, 987,519 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
389 Replies, 419,836 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
491 Replies, 227,139 Views
how to earn money at this age? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 72,535 Views
td securities technology graduate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 8,727 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2