Lawyer Salary - Page 1888 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #18871 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2023, 09:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does anyone know what trainee/NQ pay at WithersKhattarWong is?

Reply With Quote
  #18872 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2023, 10:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
NQ and PQE1 are 2 different things.

NQ is after mass call in Aug until Dec
In the next calendar yr Jan, you'll be 1 PQE.

6.5K for NQ, rising to 7.2K for 1 PQE.
How will this calculation change post- Part B overhaul? Cos the TC is one year, so mass call is somewhere in March. Does it mean NQ for 9 months and PQE 1 is only from the next calendar year?

Reply With Quote
  #18873 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2023, 03:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Same tier as Morgan Lewis Stamford, Dentons Rodyk, Clyde & Co Classis, etc etc. You get the gist
What about compared with HSF, NRF, Simmons & Simmons - which offers their sg trainees UK/dual qualification, or Ashurst - which puts their sg trainees through 2-year rotation also.

Reply With Quote
  #18874 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2023, 08:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thoughts on QWP opening an office in London?
Reply With Quote
  #18875 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2023, 11:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thoughts on QWP opening an office in London?
should send Joyce Khoo there. far away from the rest of us.
Reply With Quote
  #18876 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2023, 12:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thoughts on QWP opening an office in London?
They closed their HK office. Money losing ventures. Cant fight in Sg so they try hard to differentiate themselves. Just a fourth rate firm.
Reply With Quote

  #18877 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2023, 08:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How will this calculation change post- Part B overhaul? Cos the TC is one year, so mass call is somewhere in March. Does it mean NQ for 9 months and PQE 1 is only from the next calendar year?
So little thought behind the whole revamp its honestly ridiculous. So much for commenting on the degrading standards of the industry when this entirely debacle was put forward 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #18878 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2023, 09:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
should send Joyce Khoo there. far away from the rest of us.
what lmao, what did she do to you
Reply With Quote
  #18879 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2023, 09:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So little thought behind the whole revamp its honestly ridiculous. So much for commenting on the degrading standards of the industry when this entirely debacle was put forward 5 years ago.
I have serious doubts lengthening the TC period will improve the quality of practising lawyers as is hoped.

This is one of those initiatives that look good on committee papers, and you can spend hours writing pages of policy recommendations based on "extensive" overseas datapoints etc etc, but anybody who's spent even a week in a real law firm working environment will know that it will be ineffectual and totally divorced from reality.

All that will happen is that it gives law firm 6 additional months to exploit their trainees at low pay. And shift financial burden and imposes barriers to financially disadvantaged lawyers.

We do not have a quality problem of NQs.

What we have is a quality problem of old senior lawyers working in 1 to 5 man outfits that are unable to provide good mentorship and experiences to their trainees/juniors, because either their book of business have been declining over the years, or they've picked up numerous poor habits and work ethics, or both. A perusal of recent disciplinary cases largely dealing with senior lawyers in such solo/small practices, will attest to that. This is the quality problem that LawSoc / MinLaw should be addressing.

One of the advantages of this jurisdiction that makes it marginally tolerable to practice law is the relatively short period (0.5 years of bar + 0.5 years of TC) for professional qualification compared to say the UK or HK. The current status is OK considering how low the market payscales are.

Lengthening the TC period to 1 year will make law an even less attractive prospects to even semi-bright young people who have a plethora of other good and well-paying career options to consider.
Reply With Quote
  #18880 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2023, 10:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have serious doubts lengthening the TC period will improve the quality of practising lawyers as is hoped.

This is one of those initiatives that look good on committee papers, and you can spend hours writing pages of policy recommendations based on "extensive" overseas datapoints etc etc, but anybody who's spent even a week in a real law firm working environment will know that it will be ineffectual and totally divorced from reality.

All that will happen is that it gives law firm 6 additional months to exploit their trainees at low pay. And shift financial burden and imposes barriers to financially disadvantaged lawyers.

We do not have a quality problem of NQs.

What we have is a quality problem of old senior lawyers working in 1 to 5 man outfits that are unable to provide good mentorship and experiences to their trainees/juniors, because either their book of business have been declining over the years, or they've picked up numerous poor habits and work ethics, or both. A perusal of recent disciplinary cases largely dealing with senior lawyers in such solo/small practices, will attest to that. This is the quality problem that LawSoc / MinLaw should be addressing.

One of the advantages of this jurisdiction that makes it marginally tolerable to practice law is the relatively short period (0.5 years of bar + 0.5 years of TC) for professional qualification compared to say the UK or HK. The current status is OK considering how low the market payscales are.

Lengthening the TC period to 1 year will make law an even less attractive prospects to even semi-bright young people who have a plethora of other good and well-paying career options to consider.
Lol, what did you expect, during the opening of the legal year, our CJ said that WFH is causing ethical issue with young lawyers and creating more lawsoc disciplinary actions, when almost all of the people who underwent disciplinary action were old(er) lawyers.

IMO, this statement obviously comes from some echo chamber of old lawyers who aren't really in touch with the practice of law anymore.

The issue is that the old guard refuses to die out or adapt, when being a lawyer was so much easier during their time, and are unwilling to actually do anything that would alleviate the issues with the legal industry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,739 Replies, 1,464,726 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
6 Replies, 3,427 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 733,551 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,720 Replies, 1,334,586 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 8,837 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,611 Replies, 4,827,272 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,235 Replies, 12,256,791 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 314,064 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 221,363 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,735 Replies, 1,003,390 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,066 Replies, 3,661,770 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 376,908 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,955 Replies, 2,081,211 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,983 Replies, 4,494,048 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
413 Replies, 154,653 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,052 Replies, 2,230,488 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,638 Replies, 1,485,991 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,770 Replies, 4,560,594 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,160 Replies, 3,306,643 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,862 Replies, 10,150,064 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
0 Replies, 218 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
701 Replies, 383,673 Views
Visa Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 125,679 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,204 Replies, 6,352,692 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
746 Replies, 382,216 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 421,354 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
105 Replies, 71,903 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,238 Replies, 584,429 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,491 Replies, 1,901,377 Views
Deutsche Corporate Bank Graduate... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 8,820 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2