Lawyer Salary - Page 1853 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #18521 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 11:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Erm I guess u didn’t know that Suss Law Jd is a part time program which means u are able to pay the bills and not be broke like those from the other schools? As far as am concern, NUS is the oldest and most reputable school no doubt, but that’s because it’s “old” and looking at how smu started from scratch, am confident that the government will build Suss law to the best of its potential. In terms of ranking, I really believe that smu and suss is really not that far off internationally. If anyone bothers to check lol.
Totally inaccurate assumptions. Not to diss on SUSS lah, I know it's meant to fulfill a specific purpose.

NUS, SMU as "old line" unis generally aren't reputable merely because they are "old". Age is no way a determining factor, otherwise SMU would've taken 50 years to catch up with NUS in repute, which is clearly not the case.

It's the cachet of intellectual concentration, research output, repute of the academic body etc.

Let's concentrate only on law as a discipline (i.e. ignore business, accounting, econs, computing).

SMU has done a good job attracting lots of high quality academics in a very short span of time and contributing to industry conversations and CLE programmes (SMU Law Academy), various think tanks and specialized research centres and cutting edge areas of law, e.g. data governance and AI and law, dispute reso, computational law.

SUSS was set up purely to be a vocational teaching law school. While there will be ancillary or sporadic research output from its faculty for sure (as a byproduct of being a legal academic), there is no way it will attract top notch intellectual capital to output the kinds of research necessary to propel it to a top tier law school.

As a vocational law school, SUSS merely has to be "good enough", and "good enough" means teaching its students sufficiently rigorously to qualify as lawyers in Singapore.

But to pretend that SMU and SUSS are even on the same trajectory as organizations, or have the same objectives as higher education/tertiary institutes, is widely off the mark. Your starting premise is already erroneous.

Reply With Quote
  #18522 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 02:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You are right. SmU is the best law school in singapore.

Reply With Quote
  #18523 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 03:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Totally inaccurate assumptions. Not to diss on SUSS lah, I know it's meant to fulfill a specific purpose.

NUS, SMU as "old line" unis generally aren't reputable merely because they are "old". Age is no way a determining factor, otherwise SMU would've taken 50 years to catch up with NUS in repute, which is clearly not the case.

It's the cachet of intellectual concentration, research output, repute of the academic body etc.

Let's concentrate only on law as a discipline (i.e. ignore business, accounting, econs, computing).

SMU has done a good job attracting lots of high quality academics in a very short span of time and contributing to industry conversations and CLE programmes (SMU Law Academy), various think tanks and specialized research centres and cutting edge areas of law, e.g. data governance and AI and law, dispute reso, computational law.

SUSS was set up purely to be a vocational teaching law school. While there will be ancillary or sporadic research output from its faculty for sure (as a byproduct of being a legal academic), there is no way it will attract top notch intellectual capital to output the kinds of research necessary to propel it to a top tier law school.

As a vocational law school, SUSS merely has to be "good enough", and "good enough" means teaching its students sufficiently rigorously to qualify as lawyers in Singapore.

But to pretend that SMU and SUSS are even on the same trajectory as organizations, or have the same objectives as higher education/tertiary institutes, is widely off the mark. Your starting premise is already erroneous.

s://m..com/watch?v=_ev9Hvp0wIo

s://amp.theguardian.com/education/2022/apr/20/degree-grade-matters-more-than-university-reputation-report-finds

s://.collegeraptor.com/find-colleges/articles/questions-answers/better-grades-better-reputation-important-college/

Reply With Quote
  #18524 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 04:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You gotta love Singaporeans’ ability to trap themselves in a well that is Singapore. All these pissing contest about how great NUS or SMU is and the all hail local unis propaganda when your supposed low ranking UK / US / AUS law grads are swimming in the intl firms.

Even for those that aren’t working in intl firms, they sure as hell are being treated better in Manchester / Sydney / whenever they choose plant themselves with their overseas LLB, as compared to the most prestigious b4 firms here in Singapore.

I guess people shouldn’t rain on your parade, since that’s all you guys have to go on about.
Reply With Quote
  #18525 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 08:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You gotta love Singaporeans’ ability to trap themselves in a well that is Singapore. All these pissing contest about how great NUS or SMU is and the all hail local unis propaganda when your supposed low ranking UK / US / AUS law grads are swimming in the intl firms.

Even for those that aren’t working in intl firms, they sure as hell are being treated better in Manchester / Sydney / whenever they choose plant themselves with their overseas LLB, as compared to the most prestigious b4 firms here in Singapore.

I guess people shouldn’t rain on your parade, since that’s all you guys have to go on about.
I'm in an international firm and studied in NUS bro. Worked my way up from mid tier somemore. In spite of not coming from some angmor university and not having a fake sarong party girl accent acquired after 3 years overseas. What does that make me?
Reply With Quote
  #18526 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 09:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm in an international firm and studied in NUS bro. Worked my way up from mid tier somemore. In spite of not coming from some angmor university and not having a fake sarong party girl accent acquired after 3 years overseas. What does that make me?
Still inferior to Clarence Lun.
Reply With Quote

  #18527 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 09:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Soon to be made irrelevant if you have time to come here and post nonsense rather than work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm in an international firm and studied in NUS bro. Worked my way up from mid tier somemore. In spite of not coming from some angmor university and not having a fake sarong party girl accent acquired after 3 years overseas. What does that make me?
Reply With Quote
  #18528 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 09:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm in an international firm and studied in NUS bro. Worked my way up from mid tier somemore. In spite of not coming from some angmor university and not having a fake sarong party girl accent acquired after 3 years overseas. What does that make me?
You literally just proved my point, bro. You graduated from the almighty NUS law school, worked your way hard up the corporate ladder from a mid tier firm, into an intl firm. Meanwhile the schmuck that parties every weekend and the fake sarong party girl landed the same job as you, right out of law school. And their law school aren’t even ranked in the Times.

Buddy I suggest you brush up your logical reasoning because you just shot yourself in the foot. Can’t imagine how you landed a stint there but I guess longevity in law is something applaudable.
Reply With Quote
  #18529 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 10:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You literally just proved my point, bro. You graduated from the almighty NUS law school, worked your way hard up the corporate ladder from a mid tier firm, into an intl firm. Meanwhile the schmuck that parties every weekend and the fake sarong party girl landed the same job as you, right out of law school. And their law school aren’t even ranked in the Times.

Buddy I suggest you brush up your logical reasoning because you just shot yourself in the foot. Can’t imagine how you landed a stint there but I guess longevity in law is something applaudable.
I'm asking what does that make me. I'm not claiming that I'm better or worse than others or whatnot. Why do you sound so insecure? Are you even in an intl firm or even a Big 4 bro?
Reply With Quote
  #18530 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 10:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm asking what does that make me. I'm not claiming that I'm better or worse than others or whatnot. Why do you sound so insecure? Are you even in an intl firm or even a Big 4 bro?
“I’m in an intl firm…”, “Worked my way up from…”, “In spite of not coming from…”, “fake sarong party girl accent…”

Saying that you’re not claiming that you’re better or worse than others is a pathetic attempt at best to pass off the post as a neutral one. At least own your stance, with the protection of anonymity available to you? Do you try to pass off your position when getting challenged elsewhere too?

Anyways, to answer your burning question, I guess that makes you a proud lawyer at an intl firm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,270 Replies, 10,640,097 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,477 Replies, 3,544,146 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,023 Replies, 5,278,902 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
429 Replies, 515,301 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
891 Replies, 422,244 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,477 Replies, 12,751,153 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,829 Replies, 2,470,320 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,862 Replies, 1,548,003 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,885 Replies, 1,497,064 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,489 Replies, 2,479,940 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,983 Replies, 4,813,292 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,314 Replies, 670,169 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,179 Replies, 1,124,950 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
473 Replies, 640,941 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,600 Replies, 1,437,853 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
231 Replies, 261,937 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,419 Replies, 6,996,073 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,372 Replies, 1,193,613 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
773 Replies, 450,612 Views
CIMB Apprentice 2024
4 Replies, 190 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
162 Replies, 163,550 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
183 Replies, 235,657 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
834 Replies, 442,631 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
189 Replies, 322,925 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
939 Replies, 547,444 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,230 Replies, 3,887,423 Views
Dillema: University of Melbourne... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 67,287 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,866 Replies, 1,618,785 Views
Work in SMU ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 7,053 Views
Anyone from Ministry of Social and... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 19,070 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2